The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
kjdolphins

Short on time, short on funds... "Lola"

Well, time to start one of my first builds ever, and I figured what better way to do it than with a chevy truck. Bought a 72' C-10 LWB 350/350 that I plan to restore/rebuild and keep for the rest of my life. She runs and drives like a champ!

Story: I'm a college student/football player, so its really hard for me to find time at any point of the year, including summer, to take part in much of anything. I'm coming to that point in my life where I'll be completely moving out soon, and I really wanted to start a project with my dad that I can keep with me for life. My dad's favorite hobby is restoring muscle cars.He does everything including suspensions, engines, transmissions, he paints them himself (in our little shack of a garage), and I would really like to take the time I have left to spend it with him doing what we love.

The truck, "Lola": Lola also has her own story. We bought the truck from a family friend. To make a long story short, this man was very close with my deceased uncle who had passed away due to a motorcycle accident a few years back (he was hit by someone texting and driving). My uncle and dad were best friends and were avid drag racers, so they were both motorheads. This guy basically cut me a deal on this truck and made me promise I'd bring it back when finished and let him go for a spin. I, of course, agreed. So "Lola" is basically our tribute to my uncle.

I know how much you guys like pictures, so here's a few to start with!
As you can see, some patch panels were thrown in with the deal, along with some replacement fenders because the originals are a little dinged up.
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
89 Camaro RS 305 TBI DD - "Betsy"
kjdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
71cheynne402

Re: Short on time, short on funds... "Lola"

Looks awesome!!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
kjdolphins

It's time for pictures! Got a lot of things done lately! The weekends are completely spent on it and the nights as well... Painted the rear part of the frame with just a rustoleum enamel black. Have also been painting all of the bolts for everything as well as hood hinges, and other miscellaneous.
I also have question for you guys.... See that last picture? That is on the passenger side of the cab on the floor. Its rusted and has the numbers "767"... Anyone know what it means? Im really curious
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 06-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
kjdolphins

Finally getting that rust fixed on the cab. There's quite a bit of it too... We have patch panels for the rockers (inner and outer) we have both rear and front cab supports, and cab corners. The kick panels need to be replaced as well, but my dad is too old fashioned to just buy mor patch panels, so we will be cutting and shaping tin ourselves! Passenger side will be finished by the end of the week hopefully!

And guess whos getting hauled off to be reupholstered?! Still dont know what I want done, but Ill think of something!

(sorry for the crooked pics)
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
litew8

Welcome to the site from IA. Nice looking project. Great backstory minus the tragedy. You might consider blurring out your license plate in pictures you post. The numbers you've found are usually written with grease pens from the factory, during assembly. They sometimes refer to the build number, or paint codes/color. It's odd yours look to be huge, rusty numbers. Plenty of grease pen markings throughout my build.

Last edited by litew8; 06-02-2014 at 11:18 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
kjdolphins

I thought about the license plates deal and youre probably right. They have nothing to do with anything of mine. The truck hasnt been licensed for a few years. They definitely are huge rusty numbers!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
You might consider blurring out your license plate in pictures you post.
Why?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
pat english

Hey what is that leaf spring thingy on the back of your frame?can you take a better pic of that?i had those brackets on one of my frames and always wondered what it was for.Is that factory or an aftermarket ad on?
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
Why?
It's the internet? Just like you shouldn't post your ssn etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
Hey what is that leaf spring thingy on the back of your frame?can you take a better pic of that?i had those brackets on one of my frames and always wondered what it was for.Is that factory or an aftermarket ad on?
It's a helper spring from the factory, helps under heavy load. I don't think you can buy them reproduced but I could be wrong. Mine used to have them (not during my ownership) but is missing the springs.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
pat english

Dang that's pretty cool.Now i have to look if i still have mine...
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
It's the internet? Just like you shouldn't post your ssn etc...
That doesn't answer the question

Just because one person decided to blur out their plate on the internet at one time, people think they should do it also, even though they have no valid reason.

Comparing a license plate to a SSN, is like comparing houses to oceans.

Your entire identity is based on your SSN.

You go to the registry and pick up a license plate at your local DMV and immediately put it on your vehicle for the world to see. Why blur it out online?

You drive in and out of your driveway everyday and around your local area. After doing that everyday of your life, you're going to worry about people seeing your plate from all the way across the country, that have no idea where you're from?

Internet theories just amaze me sometimes.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
litew8

And you couldn't have simply PM'd me all that opinion? We're in a place where the object of most peoples desires reside. If I were a thief and wanted your stuff, you posting your plates makes it that much easier for me. Go post your ssn, I honestly don't care.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
kjdolphins

Well, we are still working on getting the cab mounts/rocker panels/cab corners in... They are being a real pain and taking up quite a bit of time... The patch panels were included when I purchased the truck, and they are definitely not the highest quality ones thats for sure, but we're gonna make them work however we can.

I think we have determined what wed like for paint too. That always makes a guy a little more excited when you can plant that idea in your head. We plan on going with the same paint outlines it has right now, except for the yellow, we'd like to replace that with Speedway Blue Pearl. The top will be painted white just as it is originally.
Big question of the day: I can't decide what exactly to do with my interior. Especially the seat.. Anyone have any good ideas to incorporate a blue/white or blue/black seat? It'd be great to see some pictures of others blue interior to get an idea.
Thanks!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
kjdolphins

It's been awhile, and it looks like I will be out of time for awhile... I leave for college Wednesday, so that will conclude this summer. I'll make sure to throw up some pictures tomorrow of whats been done! We've got all the patch panels in, interior painted (blue), firewall painted (blue), roof painted (white pearl), and all of my interior parts have arrived (carpet, dash pad, door seal, window anti-rattle kits, and all of my support bushings. Nothing but bodywork and motor work from here on out!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
kjdolphins

Heres a few pictures as promised! Was hoping to get a lot more assembled, but what can you do?
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #16
kjdolphins

Here's a few more. The one picture is off the white that was sprayed on the roof. The picture does it no justice at all, but our local paint shop through together a beautiful pearl white for the top of the truck. Out in the sun is where it really shines
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
kjdolphins

last one
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #18
kjdolphins

Well, I've been off to college for a month though, but I'm getting daily reports on the truck. Replacement fenders have now been fastened on and are currently being prepped for paint. While dad is at home doing this I've been researching some ideas for the motor and other things. Decided to stick with the classic rally wheels and beauty rings for now. They will eventually be redone, but thats a project for another day. Meanwhile, I scored a little deal on craigslist. Turns out the guy I purchased these parts from had just sold his 72 c10 and had some spare parts layin around. But anyways, I scored 2 chevy chrome valve covers, hei distributor, edelbrock performer intake, and some other random items for 100$. Ive got the valve covers hanging in my room at college as a little motivation for when I get to see Lola again!
(sorry for the poor quality, it was a quick picture at night with the parts in the back of the camaro)
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
kjdolphins

Well, picked up a "less" beat up grille shell this weekend off craigslist and it came with the billet grille. I'm not sure what to do now. I could go either way with the grille decision... Stock or billet? Something to note, if I do the billet one, I'm gonna convert the blue bowtie over to the center of it to split it up a bit. and the one piece of the original grille thats missing will get fixed.

Oh! and this guy that I bought from had a 72 chevy suburban... It was beautiful! He also had a 72 c10 402 original big block... What I would do to have the contents of that garage!
Attached Images

78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #20
flashed

I like the stock grill better but do what you like best.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #21
kjdolphins

I'm thinking that I do too. Something I might add is that I will be using the shell of the billet grille too as it is in better shape.
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #22
68Gold/white

Look'n Good Billy Ray!!! (from a movie, probably before your time...LOL)

Keep up the good work. Like the color, looking forward to more pictures w/ blue in them!!!

Plans for A/C? Aftermarket A/C I hear is a no brainer, installation and cold air wise...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
kjdolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Look'n Good Billy Ray!!! (from a movie, probably before your time...LOL)

Keep up the good work. Like the color, looking forward to more pictures w/ blue in them!!!

Plans for A/C? Aftermarket A/C I hear is a no brainer, installation and cold air wise...
You know, I've considered A/C, just for summer purposes, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't go a place without his window down! haha So it's a little low on the list of things I'd like. I don't even use the A/C in my everyday car! 2 things that I would like to throw in is a factory radio, working or not, just to have the look. And then possibly throwing in a factory looking tach on the column. The factory tach was one of my favorite options and I think it would be pretty cool!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #24
68Gold/white

Build it the way you want. With aftermarket A/C you can have a flat firewall, the original heater box in the engine compartment goes in the trash!!! The A/C setup has a heater in it also. Performance of heater and A/C is way better than the original setup. You can also buy a factory looking radio w/ knobs some even have a CD player.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
kjdolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Build it the way you want. With aftermarket A/C you can have a flat firewall, the original heater box in the engine compartment goes in the trash!!! The A/C setup has a heater in it also. Performance of heater and A/C is way better than the original setup. You can also buy a factory looking radio w/ knobs some even have a CD player.
It ever becomes a daily driver, and the A/C will be going in for sure. Right now, this is a lot more for the sentimental value. Hopefully won't have to drive her in any cold/snowy conditions... Just a lot of summer nights, car shows, and little cruises. I didn't realize that about the A/C setup either! Like I said, thatll be a for sure thing if I ever end up driving her daily! Thanks for the info!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"