The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2021, 06:12 PM   #926
65Custom

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Ok, I got the arms flipped around to the correct side. It drove way better to the alignment shop, and overall just looks better. You learn something new every day!
Guessing the alignment turned out ok this time.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:06 PM   #927
cwcarpenter98

It turned out much better this time.
The truck no longer wanders between the lines like it did before, and there's no bump steer.

I highly recommend the caster mod, even on a bone stock truck. Every other c10 that might come along in my future will get the caster mod
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:40 PM   #928
cwcarpenter98

I "cleaned up" the wiring under the hood by wrapping it in electrical tape. It was just the wires ziptied together before, so you could see all the different colors It looks less sloppy now

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 01-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #929
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:

I replaced the rear shocks after over a year of driving it. The front shocks were replaced when the disc brake kit was installed.
Quote:
It turned out much better this time.
The truck no longer wanders between the lines like it did before, and there's no bump steer.

I highly recommend the caster mod, even on a bone stock truck. Every other c10 that might come along in my future will get the caster mod
So you used a disc brake kit using you stock A-Arms and crossmember?
The reason I ask is I wonder if the caster got increased with the 73+ trucks in that they all had power steering. The way I understand it is the older non-power steering trucks had less caster because more caster makes them more difficult to turn the steering wheel without power.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:22 AM   #930
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
So you used a disc brake kit using you stock A-Arms and crossmember?
The reason I ask is I wonder if the caster got increased with the 73+ trucks in that they all had power steering. The way I understand it is the older non-power steering trucks had less caster because more caster makes them more difficult to turn the steering wheel without power.
When I was looking for a kit over 6 years ago, I didn't find a kit that had a spindle using the stock ball joints and tie rods. The kit I chose came with a set of stock height, Western Chassis spindles manufactured to squarebody specs. The kit also came with new ball joints and outer tie rods to squarebody specs, a tie rod adapter sleeve, and new inner tie rods to work with the adapter sleeve and my stock centerlink. Since those wear parts needed replacing anyways, it worked out well.

I'm not sure on the squares if additional caster was used compared to the 63-72 stuff that was more commonly manual gears. What I do know is that the steering feel on the road at speed has improved so much that I wish I had done this years ago. How much it has affected the parking lot/low speed turning, I haven't done enough to really tell, but hasn't seemed too bad yet. As I drive the truck more and break the trailer out of hibernation if the back yard isn't too soft, I'll update on how it feels in parking lots and dealing with a trailer.

I believe I have what I need on the engine side of things for a power steering conversion if I decide to go that route, but since I replaced the manual steering gear with a Redhead gear, I'm not too inclined to change it just yet. If the manual steering with additional caster ends up being too much of a pain, I will probably convert to power steering before I revert to stock caster.

Another note on the steering feel. I've really only driven my truck, so I haven't felt how a truly stock suspension c10 drives. When I bought my truck, the previous owner had put the upper control arms on backwards at some point. I did not know that at the time, and since I didn't remove the uppers until last week for paint and new control arm shafts, I didn't know that they were on backwards. I only found out when I ended up with +11* of caster on one side and +9* on the other. The shop couldn't align it like that. I also can't find the alignment sheet from when I first got it aligned after installing the disc brake kit. It's possible that I already had some additional caster, but camber was more on the positive side of life. That might, and I mean might, be why the steering input doesn't seem more challenging that before.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope that answers your question!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #931
cwcarpenter98

Ok, a report on the caster mod. I took an hour drive to a junkyard to get some parts. It had a couple miles of interstate driving. I don't have to steer between the lines anymore! There's no more heavy steering fatigue, so I definitely feel like I could drive all day without getting really tired. A couple years ago, I would have been completely worn out from driving over an hour one way. I definitely recommend this mod. The parking lot turning has not gotten harder, and almost seems a little easier. I believe that since the arms had been swapped before I purchased it, there was already some additional caster, but I had way too much positive camber. Unfortunately, I can't find the alignment sheet from 6 years ago, so I can only guess at this point.

Now on to the parts I went to get. The last modification I plan to do before heading back to Milledgeville for my last semester is new door check links. The aftermarket, stock set I got a couple years ago have already failed. I harvested a pair from a decent XJ Cherokee to swap in. The driver's side door of the Jeep was wedged against another truck, so I had to take it out of the driver's door and reinstall in the passenger door to make sure that it was still good. Thankfully it was, because most of the XJs there had already been picked over on the door checks. Best part was someone had already pulled the inner door panels, so I didn't have to fool with that
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #932
SkinnyG

Increased caster improves road "feel," self-centering, and stability at speed.

While you are attributing the "Caster Mod" as a worthwhile improvement (and it is, it is), what you are really seeing is your truck's "UNcaster mod" - getting the caster angle back to sensible.

I would imaging with 11° caster, you would have very heavy steering effort, which no doubt would tire you out.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:30 AM   #933
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Increased caster improves road "feel," self-centering, and stability at speed.

While you are attributing the "Caster Mod" as a worthwhile improvement (and it is, it is), what you are really seeing is your truck's "UNcaster mod" - getting the caster angle back to sensible.

I would imaging with 11° caster, you would have very heavy steering effort, which no doubt would tire you out.
I had not thought of it in that way, but you're probably right.
It drives about as good as my 95 Dakota now, so I'm going to have a hard time choosing which one to drive until summer rolls around and the no a/c makes the decision for me on most days

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-06-2022, 01:09 AM   #934
SkinnyG

You can piece together a complete under-dash AC system pretty gosh darn cheap. I think I'm into mine for aboot $400 CDN, shipped, minus the pump.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #935
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
You can piece together a complete under-dash AC system pretty gosh darn cheap. I think I'm into mine for aboot $400 CDN, shipped, minus the pump.
It's been awhile since I've looked at A/C systems, so I should probably look again, but also thinking of starting the rust repair before I do any A/C stuff

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #936
pdxhall

I'm happy to see your camber mod problem has been solved. IMHO I would agree with you, rust is your biggest enemy and is only going to get worse. I'm also without AC but it is going to wait. I have found a couple of under dash units for that nostalgia look. As the weather warms up here in southern AZ it will become a bigger priority.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #937
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I'm happy to see your camber mod problem has been solved. IMHO I would agree with you, rust is your biggest enemy and is only going to get worse. I'm also without AC but it is going to wait. I have found a couple of under dash units for that nostalgia look. As the weather warms up here in southern AZ it will become a bigger priority.
I started looking at some AC stuff last night, but I agree with you on the rust. I won't be able to start on the cab rust until I graduate in a couple months, but then I've also got my CPA exams to pass, so I really don't know when I'll actually start that I'm still going to enjoy driving it though!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #938
cwcarpenter98

My toes, hands and face are cold, but the new to me door checks are in. It's a brisk, high 20s here in Hickory Flat today.

Since I was able to find the versions with rubber stops, I decided to trim one stop into 3rds rather than halves. I wanted a smidge more opening than what the cut in half gives. It worked great and the doors are still far from the front fenders.

I am getting about 30 inches of opening from the body line point to the door frame on both sides.

This is another mod that I recommend for all 60-66 trucks!
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #939
straight6chevyguy

Good work Christian. Keep it up!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #940
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Good work Christian. Keep it up!
Thank you! Won't be too much going on other than driving around for the next couple months as classes start back on Monday

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-08-2022, 09:12 PM   #941
cwcarpenter98

OSHA would not have approved.

The frame that I got my bed off of is headed to Alabama to go back underneath a truck
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #942
cwcarpenter98

And now, Frankentruck is back in Milledgeville for the next couple months. Interstate driving is much less sketchy now.

I've got 3 classes this semester to finish, then I will be graduating at the beginning of May.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #943
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
OSHA would not have approved.

The frame that I got my bed off of is headed to Alabama to go back underneath a truck
That looks like John's Truck Farm with United by Trucks!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #944
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
That looks like John's Truck Farm with United by Trucks!
I figured someone would recognize the building at some point
It is John's (Flashed) Truck Farm, but John and UBT are no longer working together.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #945
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Did not know they parted ways. I met John a couple years ago, really great guy!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #946
cwcarpenter98

No snow here in Milledgeville, but mom sent me a couple pictures from back home that almost made a big sad.

For the stuff I can't keep in the garage, a tarp over the trailer is the next best storage spot. I have 3 rear bumpers keeping the tarp from holding a bunch of water
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-18-2022, 10:44 PM   #947
allaboutchevelles

Nice looking build. Your truck is the same green mine came from the factory as. Mine was also a long bed.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:49 AM   #948
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Nice looking build. Your truck is the same green mine came from the factory as. Mine was also a long bed.
Thank you! I noticed the green in your windshield frame when I was reading through your thread. Seems to me that the dark green was chosen for new trucks much less than other colors

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #949
Apache1961

Did you end up not doing the ball joint flip? I still need to swap the 87 parts I got onto my 61 and plan on doing the caster mod, but was not aware of the ball joint mod. I know taller ball joints are popular on Chevelle front suspension's.
Apache1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #950
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache1961 View Post
Did you end up not doing the ball joint flip? I still need to swap the 87 parts I got onto my 61 and plan on doing the caster mod, but was not aware of the ball joint mod. I know taller ball joints are popular on Chevelle front suspension's.
I chose not to use a taller ball joint for one reason. The ball joints I installed 6 years ago were still in good shape. I might go that route when they need to be replaced again, but that'll hopefully be a long time from now

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport