The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
jnocero

Rack & Pinion on Stock Crossmember?

I am looking for a way to mount a rack and pinion to a stock 67 C10 crossmember. I have seen the Flaming River setup, but it looks expensive. How can I make a bracket to bolt a used rack in front of the crossmember, but low enough to miss the pan?
Also, what rack would be long enough to span a truck, have the right threads for the C10 tie rod ends, have the steering shaft in the right spot, and be tough enough to handle getting beat up?
It looks like all the MII racks need studs welded on the front crossmember to mount, and that would be fine, if I could find someone that will sell me a bracket with a stud on it that would weld to the front of my crossmember.
Now thats the type of DIY article I wish the magazines would publish.
jnocero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
charx2

Re: Rack & Pinion on Stock Crossmember?

I too am interested in this! You can buy new x-members but like you said, they are expensive. Maybe you would have to cut out part of frame? IDK
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
SCOTI

When you guys get it figured out, be sure to share the results w/the group. What's wrong w/just getting a spec built factory ball & sector style box & using high quality steering parts?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
charx2

Well, mine is bagged so I would need to somehow mount it above the frame or in it I think.
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

what advantage does the R&P offers over a stock style steering box?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
what advantage does the R&P offers over a stock style steering box?
Typically a more positive road feel and quicker response. Less effort and quicker ratio. Less parts to wear out or create slop. Overall tighter feel. More compact packaging.

The recirulating ball boxes (like stock) worked fine for their entended use but they will not be as good as a R&P setup. If you look almost all auto companies have moved over to R&P setups.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Typically a more positive road feel and quicker response. Less effort and quicker ratio. Less parts to wear out or create slop. Overall tighter feel. More compact packaging.

The recirulating ball boxes (like stock) worked fine for their entended use but they will not be as good as a R&P setup. If you look almost all auto companies have moved over to R&P setups.
Are you sure that's because of better quality & performance vs. better manufacturing costs?

One of the best aftermarket companies around that does the suspension thing (Detroit Speed; ran by former GM drivetrain engineers no less) utilize OE steering box set-ups vs. a R&P swap. I think a R&P offers better packaging for certain applications for sure, but a recirc-ball box built right w/the correct supporting hardware can work as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Are you sure that's because of better quality & performance vs. better manufacturing costs?

One of the best aftermarket companies around that does the suspension thing (Detroit Speed; ran by former GM drivetrain engineers no less) utilize OE steering box set-ups vs. a R&P swap. I think a R&P offers better packaging for certain applications for sure, but a recirc-ball box built right w/the correct supporting hardware can work as well.
I am quite familar with DS&E and have eaten dinner with the owners back when I was building my Pro-Touring '69 Camaro. Yes, they do use the stock box setup but when they are working with a stock frame/sub-frame assembly. If you look at their aftermarkt sub-frames (like for the Camaro) they use R&P because it works better for an all out handling vehicle.

Agreed that stock boxes CAN work well and that is what I had on my Camaro (well aftermarket quick ratio stuff) since I was still using the stock sub-frame.

I was REALLY deep into the Pro-Touring scene before my divorce and had to sell my Camaro. When it came to all out handling, most of those guys would spend the bucks to get things switched over to R&P since they were building seriously handling cars. No one who switch every wanted to go back to a stock box/draglink system ever.

YMMV
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
laid_out_70

heres what i found, is a temporary mount but u get the idea.

http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3388&page=9

post 309,327-330
laid_out_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

On. The. Nose.

it has very very little to do with handling and everything to do with lower manufacturing & assembly costs (less parts) and more profits for the OEM's. it's called marketing.

I spent quite a lot of time doing work flow, time studies, automation/machining and in process inspection processes for one of the largest producers (TRW) of both recirculating ball boxes and R & P units.

guess which one costs a LOT less to manufacture?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
DKN

Quote:

Here is a quick list of the basic parts in the steering system that lead to sloppy steering.
There are a lot of parts in either system. The road feel is controlled by the valve and torsion bar. All power racks use a large diameter torsion bar to provide more “feel”. Most steering boxes can be had with new large diameter torsion bar and have the exact same feel as a rack and pinion. Most center links are curved to fit around the engine and mount the inner pivots in a position to minimize bump steer. All rack and pinions must be made straight, making a less than ideal inner pivot location. The exception is when the upper and lower control arms can be repositioned and changed to minimize bump steer.

Power rack and pinion moving parts:
1 Rack and pinion has an input shaft connected to a torsion bar.
2 The torsion bar is connected to a control valve.
3 The control valve is connected to a pinion gear.
4 The pinion gear meshes with the rack gear.
5 The rack gear is runs back and forth thru the rack housing.
6 The rack housing is mounted on rubber bushings.
7 The end of the rack connects to the inner tie rod pivot.
8 The inner tie rod pivot is connected to the outer tie rod pivot.
9 The outer tie rod pivot connects to the steering knuckle.
10 The steering knuckle is connected to the upper ball joint.
11 The upper ball joint is connected to the upper arm pivots.
12 The steering knuckle is connected to the lower ball joint.
13 The lower ball joint is connected to the lower arm pivots.
14 The steering knuckle is connected to the inner and outer wheel bearings.
15 The inner and outer wheel bearings are connected to a wheel hub/rim.
16 The rim is connected to a rubber tire.

Power steering system moving parts:
1 Steering box has an input shaft connected to a torsion bar.
2 The torsion bar is connected to a control valve.
3 The control valve is connected to a rack gear by a ball screw assembly. (Typically the ball screw is preloaded and has zero backlash.)
4 The rack gear meshes with the sector gear/pitman arm.
5 The rack gear is runs back and forth thru the box housing.
6 The pitman arm connects to the center link.
7 The center link is connected to the idler arm.
8 The end of the center link connects to the inner tie rod pivot.
9 The inner tie rod pivot is connected to the outer tie rod pivot.
10 The outer tie rod pivot connects to the steering knuckle.
11 The steering knuckle is connected to the upper ball joint.
12 The upper ball joint is connected to the upper arm pivots.
13 The steering knuckle is connected to the lower ball joint.
14 The lower ball joint is connected to the lower arm pivots.
15 The steering knuckle is connected to the inner and outer wheel bearings.
16 The inner and outer wheel bearings are connected to a wheel hub/rim.
17 The rim is connected to a rubber tire.

Just a little more info to look at when trying to compare the different steering systems.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
SCOTI

My point earlier was that DSE uses the recirulating ball boxes on many of their builds w/great success. Their R&P set-up is only available w/their Hydroformed sub-frames.

I equate DSE's front HF sub-frames to an aftermarket frame/part. And they're a high end part @ that (beyond Dropmember territory in 'truck-speak'). If they use the stock/OE sub-frame on a build, they'll use upgraded OE style boxes w/upgraded steering parts as it's not worth retro-fitting a R&P set-up because it won't be optimum.

I feel there's much improvement available just w/the stock stuff w/o the hassle of trying to figure out all the PROPER geometry required to truely benefit from the R&P swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-11-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
jnocero

Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is a large manufacturing impact here, but what better way to judge performance than to load up 1000 backyard truck builders with a cheap R&P alternative and let them hit the street?
I took a look at http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3388&page=9 and having to notch frame seems extreme. I guess the reason the MII subframes get away with R&P is that the C-arm pivot shaft is a lot shorter? Looks like the stock C-arm has a bump in the stamping in the worst spot to sneak a rack shaft through. Would tubular C-arms have helped here? What about if he had dropped the rack down below the frame, and more forward, like I think Flaming River does?
I think it has to be simple, cheap, and use available parts.
Attached Images

jnocero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
dv8customs

Tubular arms definately would have helped but the frame notch is necessary. With the truck laid out if you draw a line from mounting point to mounting point on the spindles you will see it passes directly through the frame. Both Porterbuilt and Suicide Doors aftermarket cross members use this same method of notching the frame.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
PBFAB.COM

This has been one of those "there has to be a cheap and easy way to do it" topics for quite a while.

In short, there isn't a cheap or easy way to slap a rack on the factory crossmember and have an engineered result. You can slap it on and get the truck to go down the road, but if it isn't located in the proper spot it won't be a fun driving experience. Proper location requires a solid understanding/knowledge of suspension and steering geometry, and is best verified with a suspension analyzer software to ensure desired results.

DV8 has done a good job of putting it together on his truck, but I am sure a lot of time/measuring/cutting/welding went into it. And I also know that he has more than an average understanding on suspension geometry.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
dv8customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
In short, there isn't a cheap or easy way to slap a rack on the factory crossmember and have an engineered result.
You definately nailed it with this statement
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
decodan
C-20 Long Stroker

Hey,

That reminds me of the old two out of three.

Cheap
Fast
Quality

You can have any two but never three.

Wish someone made a good dropmember for a 1952 Suburban without having the wheel tucked in so far or have to use wheel spacers to get the desired look or track.

Thanks, Dan
1951 Chevrolet Suburban
1952 GMC Suburban
1963 Mercury Comet 2-dr (Sorry, I know)
1963 Mercury Comet 2-dr Parts Car, (better than what I originally started with)
2010 F-150 4WD
2015 Subaru Outback (what the hey, got to have one that is not a gas hog)
decodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodan View Post

Wish someone made a good dropmember for a 1952 Suburban without having the wheel tucked in so far or have to use wheel spacers to get the desired look or track.

Thanks, Dan
It's in the works.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
jasonhall

Here are some pics from okcminis.com on a square body..
Attached Images

jasonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
scotts62
One day...

Thats pretty cool, thats basically what im doing with mine. Just been on the back burner here lately..

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Okay, the $64 question is.... what rack are they using in that pic above?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
FnLow69

looks like a mustang II rack to me.
FnLow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #23
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

I didn't think the MII racks were wide enough. The pivot point for the shafts were inboard too far to match up with the control arm rotation.

Last edited by chevy_mike; 08-19-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #24
jasonhall

Quote:
Okay, the $64 question is.... what rack are they using in that pic above?
The guy building the truck says it is a Mustang rack..
jasonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhall View Post
The guy building the truck says it is a Mustang rack..
Cool. Never thought they would have been wide enough. Good info to know.