The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
bigdaddy4x4

fuel pumps running hot

ok I have been thru 3 different hi pressure electric fuel pumps my pump is not in the tank its mounted on frame rail in front of the fuel tank rt side about 4 inches from the exhaust pipe the first 2 fuel pumps failed after getting hot they were not brand names the 3rd pump is a walbro it has lasted the longest but in this hot weather in ga. it gets hot and will just shuts off let sit for a few mins. and it will start to working again can anybody tell me what causes the fuel pumps to stop running and when it cools off it works ??
bigdaddy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Sledgebone

Re: fuel pumps running hot

Don't know for sure about fuel pumps, but some motors have thermal limits built in to protect against damage. Too hot and it won't run. Try a heat shield of some sort between the exhaust and pump.
Sledgebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
sweetk30

if its for your square body crew in the avatar why not swap to a tbi tank / sender / then use a higher flow/psi pump on the tbi sender and keep it in tank were its cooled and also much quieter .

i have a 87 tank / sender / acdelco ep381 pump direct swap for tbi pump plug n play . it feeds my edelbrock pro flo 4 just fine . . . and my HATED PILE OF JUNK holley sniper before it was removed and returned .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Warrens69GMC

They stop working because the gap (clearance) they had went to zero.

Like a main bearing, if you get the clearance to 0.000 there is no room for oil and it will get hot and seize the bearing on the crankshaft.

The fuel pump runs out of clearance room to pump and it shuts down.

The fuel pump uses gasoline for lube and to cool down the pump, with no lube or cooling, the pump fails.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
if its for your square body crew in the avatar why not swap to a tbi tank / sender / then use a higher flow/psi pump on the tbi sender and keep it in tank were its cooled and also much quieter .

i have a 87 tank / sender / acdelco ep381 pump direct swap for tbi pump plug n play . it feeds my edelbrock pro flo 4 just fine . . . and my HATED PILE OF JUNK holley sniper before it was removed and returned .
this is in my 79 chevy k30 with the 6.0 I put a fuel pump on the frame rail kept the original tanks.. the crew cab I used 2 new tanks with the pumps in tanks .the 79 has done fine so far just cant keep them fuel pumps running.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
bigdaddy4x4

the fuel pump has stopped completely so its not the heat.. I guess whats killing them is the cheap fuel pumps the walbro lasted longer than the others..i am just gona get 2 new tanks and sending units