The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #26
pugs

Re: 60 dodge truck

not to much progress over the weekend. i do have a couple of front shackle bolts are dont want to freaken move, so ill have to cut then off somehow.
but i did manage to pickup the jag clip, hope to get it sitting under the frame tomorrow, but wont get to work on it till later tomorrow as i have to tinker on my 1990 DD s-10 blazer and put a p/s pump on the woman's olds. i will need to head back to the yard this week to snag a pr of jag wheels for now and the steering shaft for the rack. will get pics tomorrow
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #27
R.A.D
Account Suspended

hanging in there
R.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
pugs

well i got the clip sitting under the frame up on an ATV sytle jack just to see what i will have to do to mount it all up. 1st and foremost the shock mounts will be the biggest thing to deal with. now i going to get the front of the clip mounted 1st then i set the rear of it to the degree of levelness i need to be to ride properly. 1 lucky thing is that i can actually use the front shackle brackets, but will need to be moved back about 5", and have to trim the stock crossmember alitle to clear the swaybar. then i have a real quick idea for the rear mount bracket out of a 5" piece of 2x4 tubing. now i am debating about actually notching the frame like 2" to get front to sit down even lower.

Name:  SANY0472.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  SANY0473.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  SANY0475.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
R.A.D
Account Suspended

well looks like you have some worrk to do there
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #30
pugs

whats going to be a pain is grinding out the front shackle rivets
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #31
pugs

well the original shackle hanger didnt work so i made up my own front clips mounts out of 2.5" sqr tubing and cut down a piece of 2x4 reg tubing for the rear mounts which i still need to make up gussets for them yet. as of now its all mounted up and hanging on its own just waiting to get a pr of whel for the front to see how its going to sit and if im not totally happy with it i will trim some not needed brackets and weld it to the frame as it will get me down lower. once i get the wheels for the front i need to turn it around and get the rear in plce on top of the springs and see how much of a notch i need to incorperate into the frame before i decide if i want to go with the jag rear also.

Name:  SANY0486.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  SANY0487.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  SANY0488.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  SANY0490.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  59.7 KB
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #32
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Nice progress. Have you got your wheelbase set?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #33
pugs

wheel base is around 111", with the 6 shorter frame it would be 110" but i moved the the clip an inch forward.. my buddy dropped off a couple of rollers for me today now they are 2 different sizes but i need something to put on to turn the chassis around to work on the rear. anyway im happy with the way its sits at this point with the bottom of the front bumper at 13", but with the weight of the m/t pending on what i go with, and the cab and rest of the sheet metal it should drop down almost another 2" which in turn the rocker will be 8" off the ground now i do have a few other options i could do to get it all to sit lower. once i turn the frame around i will set the cab back on to see what we really have as far as height
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #34
R.A.D
Account Suspended

i understand. the reason why i asked about the wheelbase was.... where will your wheel opening of your fenders sit in relation to your tires when you put your sheet metal back on.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #35
Swifty

great project. i have one waiting on my when i get a chance. My father got it a while ago and said i could have it cause he's never going to touch it. He also said I can take one of his 383's to throw in it.
Attached Images

Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #36
pugs

it should be about center of the opening of the fenders. while searching other forums i 've seen what others are doing to mount the shocks, they are building mounts right off the crossmember, either in front or behind the upper control arm
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #37
pugs

Swifty, looks like a decent truck to start with. what will your plans be for it
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #38
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
great project. i have one waiting on my when i get a chance. My father got it a while ago and said i could have it cause he's never going to touch it. He also said I can take one of his 383's to throw in it.
hey swifty nice 58
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #39
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
it should be about center of the opening of the fenders. while searching other forums i 've seen what others are doing to mount the shocks, they are building mounts right off the crossmember, either in front or behind the upper control arm
what forum's are you refering to?

there is a forum called "http://www.dodgeclassictrucks.com/" but it seems like no one maintain's it and i can't figure out how to post a build thread on there. but this is cool between you swifty and myself we should all post our builds here. i chopped the top on mine now

Last edited by R.A.D; 01-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #40
Swifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Swifty, looks like a decent truck to start with. what will your plans be for it
The body is in good shape. My dad already took care of most of the rust spots. The body is also sitting on a later model dodge Dakota frame. I just need to get some mounts Fabed up.

I plan on bagging it & keeping the stock paint job for a lil while & then switching to a gloss black later on. My dad also has a decent 383 I can have with it. I just want to make it a nice cruiser but I got to finish my current project first. So hopefully by fall I'll be able to start on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #41
pugs

RAD, just start your build thread in this section like im doing. i search around alot on the H.A.M.B and on this board to look what others are doing or with ideas of what i have done in the past

swifty, what frame did he use? and id get the truck out atleast from where its at and get cleaned up and tho a decent cover over it to preserve it alitle better till you can start on it
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #42
Swifty

I'm not sure of the year but i know its a Dakota Frame. the body and bed are just sitting on it right now. no mounts or anything. Thats going to be the hardest part of the entire build. I would put a cover on it but i live in FL and the truck is sitting at my dad's place in TN. i planned on going up there near the end of summer and towing it back to FL. I honestly can't wait to get started on it so i'm doing a quick finish on my current project just so i can get started on it. My P.O. aka the wife, won't let me have more than 1 car/truck project at a time.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #43
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
I'm not sure of the year but i know its a Dakota Frame. the body and bed are just sitting on it right now. no mounts or anything. Thats going to be the hardest part of the entire build. I would put a cover on it but i live in FL and the truck is sitting at my dad's place in TN. i planned on going up there near the end of summer and towing it back to FL. I honestly can't wait to get started on it so i'm doing a quick finish on my current project just so i can get started on it. My P.O. aka the wife, won't let me have more than 1 car/truck project at a time.
the mounts are easy enough. up front you'll have a modern suspension with rack and pinion steering and if your not satisfied with the rear. well... i'm considering either a 90's t'bird irs or viper irs
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #44
pugs

well i hit the yard again today, figured better get there in case we get show tomorrow. i snagged 2 jag wheel and the steering shaft to the rack. then i sat the cab and front clip on to give me an idea of where in at. im in between with yet now as it did drop down another inch. now the cab and frontend arent totally square and level, will work on that tomorrow.

Name:  SANY0491.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  SANY0492.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  SANY0495.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  SANY0496.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  84.1 KB
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #45
R.A.D
Account Suspended

looks like your in the center looking good
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
pugs

no progress today. i did start cleaning up the garage some tho, that will be my project for the next two days till my buddy drops of a complete sbc to sit in with a trans just to see how it will weigh it down if any and them i can decide what and how i need to do to lower it more
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #47
R.A.D
Account Suspended

hey do you have any pictures of the mounting points for the fenders to the cab? like i said before my cab is a 58 but the fenders are 1960 and so the mointing pints/brackets are different
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #48
pugs

how much did ya chop it? dont your fenders have the bracket on them? canget pics tomorrow. if not in a rush i know there is another 60 at the local bone yard that the fenders are junk, will have to ck to see if the brackets are worth saving, but it wont be till next weekend tho.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #49
pugs

isure hope you are your glass guys are good at cutting the front and rear glass as for me there are way hard to find around here.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #50
R.A.D
Account Suspended

it was a 3 inch chop. i can wait on the brackets does the cab itself have brackets or is it the fenders?