The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
BAT
Account Suspended

Under The Hood Paint and Detail

I see so many pics of your engines and I am just blow away at the beauty! So when the SBC comes out it is getting painted Chevy Orange and I will powder coating other parts as well. My question is this; are the non truck colored parts supposed to be semi-gloss black or satin black?

Also, what is the best way to clean up parts that are cast aluminum (Compressor bracket, Alternator Bracket, etc.)? Bead blast? Soak in a degreaser? Something else? Do I clear powder coat these parts when they are clean? Any tips and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I am sure you guys have a bunch of them.
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: Under The Hood Paint and Detail

Satin black looks best on the under hood parts and is easier to clean than satin or flat- it won't gloss up when you're cleaning it like flat/satin can. We use Gloss black single stage urethane with hardener, then add in a flattening agent to get the exact amount of gloss we want. For aluminum, glass beads work great to make it look new again. Caylx manifold dressing makes the manifolds look like newly cast iron again, won't burn off like paint, and can be touched up with a brush when needed. The wiring harness can be rewrapped with friction cloth or regular electrical tape depending on what was on it from the factory. Duragloss makes a vinyl and rubber dressing to darken and add a slight sheen to rubber and plastic parts to give them a detailed look.

We're in the middle of doing a '70 El Camino engine compartment restoration at work, here's a link to all of the pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4833061&type=1

Attached Images

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
BAT
Account Suspended

THAT is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Posted via Mobile Device
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Anyone else have any tips?
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote