The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #51
Justin71105

Re: 60-66 Tail Light Gas Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
Check your private message….
Do you happen to have the measurements for the arm, working on mine now. Tried using a fuel door from a yukon but it doesnt have the angle to close. Been welding and cutting all morning and still cant quite get it.

Going to attenpt to copy the arm tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #52
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin71105 View Post
Do you happen to have the measurements for the arm, working on mine now. Tried using a fuel door from a yukon but it doesnt have the angle to close. Been welding and cutting all morning and still cant quite get it.

Going to attenpt to copy the arm tomorrow.
There are two arms on mine, that pivot location would be different also, it’s tedious for sure and geometry was not my favorite subject. I only took the time to do that cause I was recuperating from a 2nd hip surgery and working with a walker and my welding chair and lift position, it kept me busy, but still very tedious. My final is probably the 4th rendition, lots of failures in the geometry end..keep at it, you’ll get it….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #53
Justin71105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
There are two arms on mine, that pivot location would be different also, it’s tedious for sure and geometry was not my favorite subject. I only took the time to do that cause I was recuperating from a 2nd hip surgery and working with a walker and my welding chair and lift position, it kept me busy, but still very tedious. My final is probably the 4th rendition, lots of failures in the geometry end..keep at it, you’ll get it….

I am finding the pivots are probably going to be needed, used the gas door hinge and it needs a pivot that connects to the light for sure Also debating using rare earth magnet on top and just a small hinge on the bottom. But dont think the light will clear the opening with how tight it fits in the recession.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #54
61hawk

Wow, may want to resize those photos...
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:57 PM   #55
MT65

Cool Re: 60-66 Tail Light Gas Filler

This is the best angle that I’ve got for comparison, I used a magnet for closure as well, works fine when I got one with enough strength. I used LED tail lights so I could shorten the housing for more room…..
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2023, 11:14 AM   #56
Justin71105

I got some of those magnets, they are strong enough I may just use those with a ground cable on light.

Just let the light hang when I am filling up. Got to get the filler neck figured out so I can re-install bed floor. Then have a transmission installed so I can start moving it around.

Got a vented filler neck out of salvage yeard but it isnt fitting without more triming. Will try to get it in their later today to see where it can sit.

May have to look for a non-vented filler, I want he tanks inc gas cap to fit so I dont need to remove to fill.

May install everything in the doors tomorrow, then all thats left is fuel filler, bed floor, bleed brakes, transmission and getting all the small stuff buttoned up. Like hiding some wiring and getting it all one color.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #57
MT65

I found the magnets have different strengths, the first ones I used were not enough, got a stronger series from a company in Denver, can’t remember their name though……