The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Kieth,

There has been a lot of discussion here on the paint and body forum about not using soda blasting due to bad problems showing up in the paint down the road. Might want to use media like nickle slag instead. From what I have read most of the companies that make paint will not stand behind there products if soda balsting is used.

Just saying... not preaching, just trying to help.

John
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
kieth

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I think due to the cost we are going to use walnut shells, only $7.00 per bag. On the soda blasting I think one has to do some other treatment to neutralize it, but my painter said the most important thing after all of that is using a etching primer, then a sealing primer, then a base coat, and then clear. heck the sealing primer and etching primer cost as much as the paint. It is expensive but the results seem to be worth it.
At the present time we are sanding the cab and getting it ready to seal and then paint with a test coat of PPG base coat clear coat.
LT1burb on this forum was nice enough to help me with his paint code, but after seeing a good chip of the color we determined that it had too much blue in it. PPG mixed a custom light green (started with a 503 stock lt green)added a metalic base replacing the white in the formula and using a transparent yellow instead of a std yellow. I think this will give me the look I wanted. Stock but with a little Kick....only applying it will tell the tale. Will post pictures when cab gets shot.
Thanks for the advise on the baking soda........will let you know how it all comes out. Kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Kieth,

There has been a lot of discussion here on the paint and body forum about not using soda blasting due to bad problems showing up in the paint down the road. Might want to use media like nickle slag instead. From what I have read most of the companies that make paint will not stand behind there products if soda balsting is used.

Just saying... not preaching, just trying to help.

John
Closed Thread