The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Scott26

Does anyone know what these parts are called?

I need to connector for the PCV valve that connects to the aircleaner housing. I also need the one for the air pump hose in the front.
No one at any autoparts store knows what im talking about so maybe someone knows where i can get them.???
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Tommy454

Cool Re: Does anyone know what these parts are called?

The part for the air cleaner is a crankcase breather element Fram #BA19. Not clear on the other part.
Attached Images

Tommy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Does anyone know what these parts are called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott26 View Post
I need to connector for the PCV valve that connects to the aircleaner housing. I also need the one for the air pump hose in the front.
No one at any autoparts store knows what im talking about so maybe someone knows where i can get them.???
I may be missing something here, but when you say "connector", do you mean the hose itself? Doesn't the pcv connect from the valve cover to your carburetor?

The element pictured above normally goes inside the air cleaner lid and connects to the other valve cover with a hose. You can actually get rid of that and use a valve cover breather instead. Both will provide crankcase ventilation.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Most likely, on one side of your engine (driver's side) you have a PCV valve in the valve cover in a rubber grommet with a rubber hose from the PCV valve to the carburetor. On the other (passenger) side of the engine you have another rubber grommet in the valve cover with a 90 degree pre-bent pipe, and another special pre-bent rubber hose which connects to the breather element in the air cleaner shown above. So, which parts do you need? Can you post a pic of the area involved? If you can get the GM part number(s) for the parts you need from your local GM dealer, then you can search for those parts at Vintage parts, GM Parts direct, oewarehouse.com, oehq.com, etc.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Scott26

Oh ya thank you you were right its the one out of the passanger side valve covers that connects to the air cleaner.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

So, that would be called a crankcase vent tube and/or crankcase vent hose. The idea is for fumes from the engine to be taken into the carburetor and burnt up - works with the PCV valve on the other side of the engine for ventilation and emissions control.
Can you post Year, Make, Model, engine, transmission here? That is the first step to find your vent hose/tube part number. Caution: a stock OEM crankcase vent hose cost me $43 for my 454 from Vintage parts - the only place that had one. 350 engine should be cheaper and more readily available.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Scott26

thanks its a 86 gmc 1500 with the 5.7 350 with a th700R4
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I can't find parts online from the usual sources. You should contact your local GM dealer to get the correct GM part numbers, then research those numbers on Google.
Can you post of pic of the area in question? You should need a rubber grommet for the valve cover (likely available as a Dorman aftermarket part), a connector which goes into the hole in the grommet ( I get p/n 3942528 for a G van 1986 - don't know if this is correct for your truck - $21.72 + S&H from Vintage Parts - vpartsinc.com), plus a rubber vent hose. The vent hose can be a length of rubber emissions hose of the correct size, but if you have a sharp, close bend then the hose will pinch and cut off air flow - that's why I needed a factory pre-bent short hose.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I can't find parts online from the usual sources. You should contact your local GM dealer to get the correct GM part numbers, then research those numbers on Google.
Can you post of pic of the area in question? You should need a rubber grommet for the valve cover (likely available as a Dorman aftermarket part), a connector which goes into the hole in the grommet ( I get p/n 3942528 for a G van 1986 - don't know if this is correct for your truck - $21.72 + S&H from Vintage Parts - vpartsinc.com), plus a rubber vent hose. The vent hose can be a length of rubber emissions hose of the correct size, but if you have a sharp, close bend then the hose will pinch and cut off air flow - that's why I needed a factory pre-bent short hose.
Wouldn't it just be much easier to put a breather like this on the passenger side valve cover and eliminate the hose on that valve cover altogether? Only issue I'd see is if you are running an OEM air cleaner lid, which it sounds like you are. I'm getting an open element cleaner on mine and putting a breather like the one below on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 11-24-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
tucsonjwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
Wouldn't it just be much easier to put a breather like this on the passenger side valve cover and eliminate the hose on that valve cover altogether? Only issue I'd see is if you are running an OEM air cleaner lid, which it sounds like you are. I'm getting an open element cleaner on mine and putting a breather like the one below on the passenger side.
Only if you don't have to pass emissions
Would you have to replace that paper filter breather over time?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

D'oh! I just realized he lives in Cali. If I'm not mistaken, the element in that breather is washable. At least some of them are. They're the same material as the K&N.