The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
CKfan

67-72 A pillar door mounting plate & cage

I am posting this in hopes of helping someone who is struggling or will struggle with replacing the lower A pillar door mounting plate and holder (cage). This part is often damaged by rust and falls down in the A pillar when you remove your door. The top plate is mostly the same but much more difficult to replace and rusts out less often.

I have seen many examples on YouTube with "advice" on "making your own" but many people have never even seen the part they are suppose to be making!

There is no easy way to replace one (only less difficult ways). Also, no-one is making after market plates or cages for sale (even though they come inside the new replacement A pillar you can order). So, finding a parts truck is the best current option.

Here goes, if you need to replace the bottom plate, the best way is to cut out a piece of your kick panel directly behind the door plate for access. I have seen YouTubers cut the lower A Pillar at the door mounting point and replace it, but I would suggest that creates a weak point after being welding back in (unless you weld better than me). The door creates a lot of force on the lower A pillar especially if someone lets the door swing open on a down hill slope. The pictures below are from a piece I got from a hacked up truck just for example. I am sure others have better solutions but this works for me. The pictures will at least show some people what they are trying to fish out of the bottom of their A pillar : ) Enjoy!
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
CKfan

Re: 67-72 A pillar door mounting plate & cage

Sorry, forgot the front view that shows the two spot welds that hold the cage (keeper for the hinge plate that allows it to move for adjustability).
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2023, 06:29 PM   #3
Gib74

After a lot of thinking I ended up going underneath the hinge plate. Seemed a little easier than going from the door jamb side. I did have a re placement cage and threaded plate. Which made things nicer. There is a lip, that runs left to right, I had to negotiate on the bottom side of the spot weld. The stainless bolt was used to suck up the cage so I could butt weld to the pillar. Here are some pictures. Took about 4 hours to complete.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gib74; 04-11-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Gib74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
Gib74

More pics
Attached Images

Gib74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #5
CKfan

Very nice work, well done.
Good to have another option to consider when tackling this job in the future.
Thanks for posting.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:00 AM   #6
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib74 View Post
After a lot of thinking I ended up going underneath the hinge plate. Seemed a little easier than going from the door jamb side. I did have a re placement cage and threaded plate. Which made things nicer. There is a lip, that runs left to right, I had to negotiate on the bottom side of the spot weld. The stainless bolt was used to suck up the cage so I could butt weld to the pillar. Here are some pictures. Took about 4 hours to complete.
Nice work.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:37 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Great work. Thanks for posting your fix.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:37 PM   #8
OL SKOOL

The struggle is real. I have been putting off that repair now seems quite doable. That helped a lot thank you for the pics.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote