The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2002, 05:35 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

Post can someone look under rear of an S-10 or a 82-up G body car and see if...

see if the brake backing plates are attached by just two screws coming from inside of the brake shoe area, youll see the ends of the two screws protruding through the backside through the axle tube flange, on any GM car 82-up with 7.5" 10 bolt axle and 9 1/2" x 2" brakes, or if any GM cars older than that that anyoen may have, may have the same type of brake backing plate design

vehicles like 82-up cutlasses, regals monte carlos, S-10's etc etc

also, if you do have a 82-up GM car or downsize truck and if it has the conventional style of backing plates that are attached to the axle tube flanges by the normal four bolts and nuts then i want to know this also !

anyone ?

thanks

------------------
-71/C-10(thx teeitup and crews!)350 4+4/CH465(thx 71Chev, GMCPaul, and CPNE)longfleet bed(thnx meathead95)!still building it-
-'84 Z28(Z28) 1G1AP87GXEL100000 with H.O. 305/4bbl/190net/hp(L69) 3.73 rear(GT4/YC4) 700R4(MD8-MXO) & other goodies
-79 G20 pass van, 350/th350/10bolt,
paint is overrated
Randy- Lincoln, IL

r68c30@hotmail.com
© RSS Enterprises 2000

[This message has been edited by Fast68Chevy (edited March 22, 2002).]
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
busterwivell

Whoa, Randy! I never noticed that......O looked under my 86 Monte Carlo SS (and I've done those brakes several times in 210,000 miles, and I NEVER NOTICED THAT. I looked under my 66 Chevelle, and there's the normal 4 bolt deal. It is different! Now that I know it is, what do you want to know about them?
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

Buster, cool ! so that monte uses the two screws style plates ? please say yes !

what drivetrain is original to the monte, is it a V8 car or a V6 car ? maybe thats my ticket, is to find G body car for the rear axle

tell me anything you can. and if it does use those two screws type plates then see if you can measure from center to center of the screws, do you know that the brakes are 9 1/2" x 2" on it ?
thanks!

do you have an instant messenger or anything, by chance ?

Old 03-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #4
busterwivell

Randy, I bought the car new, so I know it's the original rear end. Your answer is yes. All 86 Monte Carlo SS came with the L69 305 V8. I don't know about the regular Monte Carlo, especially the V6 Cars. I do know mine (and I think ALL) Monte Carlo SS came with 3:73 gears (but mine is not a posi). The only non-sandy place I have around here to put a car up in the air is taken up by my chevelle, and the front suspension is out of it right now. If someone else can't get you the brake size answer by next week, I'll take it to a buddy's shop in town and pull a back wheel off and get you measurements.
Bill - Tucson
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 03-22-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
busterwivell

Are you looking for a differnt rearend for your Camaro? Wouldn't one from a Camaro or Firebird be better? Don't mean to be too nosey, but those are all over the place down here.
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 03-22-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

most likely is 9 1/2" x 11 the backing plate diameter would be a hair larger than that if it is, the only other size was 11 x2" but i doubt thats whats on it. so hmm...

apparently is exact same rear end as I have, i have 3,73 7.5" 10 bolt also under the 83 maro, so its a twin hehe, cept for the centersection casting, sine the F body use a torque arm from rear to tranny tail. I have to gut my axle in order to pull the plates off and repace them with same or hopefully find a set of plates that use the larger bored wheel cylinders. unless montes ss use the larger cylindrs with same backing plates ! the cylinders on these are a goofy style that also use a clip to retain them to the backing plates

ive got some researching to do lol

thanks for helping out !!!

hopefully someone here has an S-10 to look under and glance to see if it has 4 bolt flanges or two screw flanges

Old 03-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

no, its only got a 7.5" in it and thats all they made for them and its 3.73 and i like it like that, just having braking nightmares,. camaros dont end up in junkyards, at least not here, nothing but cavliers and crap like that

but if you come across a pair of aluminum
9 1/2 x 2 drums off a GM rear wheel drive then lemme know, they were used on quite a few other vehicles in the 80s mainly

thanks

Old 03-22-2002, 06:54 PM   #8
busterwivell

Randy, I just had the rear end out a couple of months ago when I redid all the rear suspension. Monte Carlo SS has standard drive shaft set up. Just saw a disc brake camero rear end at my buddy's junk yard a couple of weeks ago, I saw the difference. If you have a friend at a local parts store (with a brain) you can probably get some measurements from them.
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 03-22-2002, 07:10 PM   #9
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

auto parts stores are no help, done been there, all we can do there is pull out wheel cylinders to compare, i just looked up rear cylinders for monte carlos, regals, cutlass supremes, etc and they all show 3/4" bore wheel cylinders which is what i already have on the maro, so hm... I thought grand nationals and tureno regals used the larger cylinders and such, but guess not,, must only have been larger brakes in front only.. http://www.G-body.org is down right now for construction and are currently moving the site so i cant ask there...
i think my only best bet is gonna be manual brake S-10s, if they have the correct type of backing plate, these S10s used 7/8" bore cylinders and some even used the same alum drums, the power brakes trucks used 3/4" also... except i dont knwo that they are same style yet until i find one ot look under and see what plates it has,
http://www.expressautoparts.com/stor...tegory=BRAKAMS

hmm... i was gonna go for 79 Nova 350 4bbl 15/16" bore cylinders since nova brakes are same size drums and all, BUT the damn backing plates wont bolt on to the maro axles.. they changed from 4 bolt to two screw style,.,.
now why did GM have to go and change plates and stuff for like that..... hmm.. it was fine how it was before the 80s...

this is no fun,,, i need a welder like right now...

i stil gotta find alum drums, chevy dealer wants 150 each for em,.,.. screw that... lol
thanks

Old 03-23-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

i just looked under my brothers 92 S10 and it has the conventional 4 boltr axle tube flanges, so hmm those wont work, hmmm... crappy, looks like only G body and F body are the same brake backing plates attachment method.... i think im screwed as I cant find any F or G body cars that use any larger wheel cylinders than 3/4"

anyone know ?