The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #1
68isgreat

My 68 Rust Bucket Restoration

I picked up this very rusty original 68 stepside, and it has been quite the learning experience. I used to have a 70 when I was young, and decided to quit dreaming about having another one and start doing something about it. I'm basically going for a nice driver quality build, and being that I'm a professional oil painter, I'm going to be adding some trick art touches in the final stages. I'll keep those under wraps until the time comes.

Here are a couple before photos. The cab is my big concern. Lots of welding in my future:

After taking the bed off and front clip off, I got the rear frame cleaned up and painted, and added 4" drop springs and shocks. Just took the cab off, and will take the motor and trans out tomorrow. Lots of 50 year old bolts didn't want to turn, so I've used my torch wrench quite a bit so far. After the engine/trans are out, I'll be putting a new trans crossmember in, and getting ready to drop a 1990 5.7 TBI with a rebuilt (for a Vette) 700r4. I'll have to get a new low hump floor for the auto conversion. It's all very daunting, but I'm surprised how fast it's going so far. One step at a time:

My english setter seems to really like it too, so I'm golden so far!

Last edited by 68isgreat; 06-19-2023 at 06:19 PM.
68isgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #2
68 C10 Driver

Re: My 68 Rust Bucket Restoration

Greetings! I too have a 68 Step side that I am restoring. Feel free to look through my Build Thread at

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=815278

Your cab will need a lot of work, but that is what makes it so rewarding. I watched a lot of YouTube videos (PaulkC10 and Gibson63), both of those guys were really helpful.

Best of luck and I am really excited for you and will follow your build.

Cheers-
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote