The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Van tilt column questions.

I bought a van tilt column at a local pick an pull the other day for $50. I went ahead and shaved the automatic lever and indicator off and made it look like it was for my manual truck. I painted it black to look like the original tilts that came in these trucks. My only problem is that there are two wires cut and free hanging. One is a black wire that looks like it was spliced into a couple times but it also has a matching cut wire coming out of the plug. The bad part is that there is also a grey wire that is cut but it has no matching end at the plug. Can any one tell me where this grey wire goes? Also from searching the forum it looks like I need to buy a plug adapter to go from the flat plug on the new column to the u shaped one on my 70 Chevy. From searching the matter I found a Chevrolet dealer part number of p/n 1894851. Some mentioned that they could get it from Napa Auto Parts but I could not find a part number, does anyone know the Napa part number for this adapter? It was missing the tilt lever and the turn signal has the built in cruise control button so I will have to order a set from LMC.

This is my third tilt column I have bought for my truck. The first was an automatic tilt from a 71 Chevy c-20 ($50) but could not get my self to hack it apart to make it look like a manual tilt. The second was an actual manual tilt out of a 67 or 68 C-60 truck ( free), I was going to install it but in the mean time found this van tilt and since my truck is anything but stock I thought I would save the original manual tilt for a future stock project.

Thanks for any help with the grey wire location or Napa part number for the adapter.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Re: Van tilt column questions.

Gray wire is for the light in shift indicator. black wire sounds like it is for cruise switch.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Thanks Kev. I will just tape up the Grey wire. On the plug, slot G has a cut black wire, logically this wire should match up with the black wire coming from the column portion as they are the only two wires available now that the grey wire is accounted for. The only thing that makes me wonder is that it is all sliced up and lengths do not match. I cant find a wire diagram to double check.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Here's color code
white- brake light switch
green- right rear turn & brake
yellow-left rear turn & brake
purple- turn flasher
brown- haz flasher
dark blue-right front turn
light blue-left front turn