The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Smo_King

Fuel issue no flow ( dumb ?'s )

So its been a few months or so since the cold set in and my ol truck was running ruff so I just left her be till it warmed up.

Turns out I was at the bottom of the tank and was out of gas. Needle will bounce from 1/2>1/4. Guessing I sucked quite a bit of muck threw the system? A 3 years sitter.

Pulled the fuel filter, just some been sitting for awhile bottom junk. Cleaned the cartridge and got a new filter, installed. Added 3 gallons of fresh go go juice. And now I have no fuel flow. Pump is running fine? Little loud, but guessing cause its empty. Pulled the filter to check fittings for leaks. The gasket was different but appears to work. The new filter or cartridge has not filled with fuel and is still dry.

Do I need more than 3 gallons to turn her over?

Do I have to prime anything to get the pump going?
My sending unit has all kinds of sealer around it. Bout to brave the cold and pull that I spose.

Hope its just a minor clog. I am just a pile of wood from being ready to roll this spring!

Major lurker here and have done the bed off top to bottom poor mans daily driver route just wanted to say this forum and all you guys have been a huge help!
Smo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Mack B

Re: Fuel issue no flow ( dumb ?'s )

Did you try pouring a little gas down the barrels of the carburetor? It will otherwise take a long time for a mechanical pump to fill the bowls
Posted via Mobile Device
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Smo_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
Did you try pouring a little gas down the barrels of the carburetor? It will otherwise take a long time for a mechanical pump to fill the bowls
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I did that to start as well...

Best I can tell is the aftermarket gasket for the fuel filter is not sealing and its just sucking air. Tank is clean, fuel is a 1/3 of the way full as well.

The original gasket appears to be two or 3 steps like and inner and outer seal. The one I got with the replacement is a single level circle?

Soaking the float and switch to clean the contacts up. Give it another go tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
TehNewGuy

I'm guessing you have a mechanical fuel pump, and that is the gasket your not sure about that might be sucking air? I would honestly change the pump if your not getting any gas to your inline filter. Its like $30 at advance auto. Once they don't pull fuel for a while the diaphrams can get pinched or warped and they won't work right. The single disk gasket (looks like cardboard) is fine when putting on a new fuel pump just make sure all the old gasket is removed. I used a razor and ran it around the hole on the side of the engine(carefully not to get bits inside) something else to try is to unhook all your lines since there pretty dry and blow some air through them and see what comes out the other side. Might clear any gunk, or let you know if you need new lines. When doing this you might wanna take the sending unit out and blow air through there too make sure it's not clogged as well. You can get some gasket material at advance also for not too much and cut the gasket yourself ( better way I think) or put some liquid gasket to seal it back up if it's good. and just for fun check the metal filter on the carb were your gas line hooks into it, that thing might be nasty too. Takes a little while to do all that but when your done you pretty much have a new fuel line system from the tank to the carb.
Posted via Mobile Device

TehNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: Fuel issue no flow ( dumb ?'s )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smo_King View Post
So its been a few months or so since the cold set in and my ol truck was running ruff so I just left her be till it warmed up.

Turns out I was at the bottom of the tank and was out of gas. Needle will bounce from 1/2>1/4. Guessing I sucked quite a bit of muck threw the system? A 3 years sitter.

Pulled the fuel filter, just some been sitting for awhile bottom junk. Cleaned the cartridge and got a new filter, installed. Added 3 gallons of fresh go go juice. And now I have no fuel flow. Pump is running fine? Little loud, but guessing cause its empty. Pulled the filter to check fittings for leaks. The gasket was different but appears to work. The new filter or cartridge has not filled with fuel and is still dry.

Do I need more than 3 gallons to turn her over?

Do I have to prime anything to get the pump going?
My sending unit has all kinds of sealer around it. Bout to brave the cold and pull that I spose.

Hope its just a minor clog. I am just a pile of wood from being ready to roll this spring!

Major lurker here and have done the bed off top to bottom poor mans daily driver route just wanted to say this forum and all you guys have been a huge help!
Temporary fix for clogged line: disconnect fuel line behind pump( side going to tank)and blow compressed air thru to clean out line to tank. Do same from carb end of line to disconnected line at fuel pump. If gas still doesn't flow, there is a hole in the line(like sucking air) OR the pump is full of gunk, OR pickup line is rusted thru or completely off &/or not reaching fuel level in tank. After blowing out lines, hold choke closed while cranking the engine over.

I'd ensure tank is clean BEFORE installing new fuel pump, UNLESS you put a filter between tank and pump in addition to one between pump and carb. Also, replace the short flex hose that connects tank tubing to pump--it gets mushy & collapses when under vacuum.
Sam
EDIT: Sorry, I did not read what you, TehNewGuy, had already advised--did not intend to "re-spend the same money". Please forgive. Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 01-17-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: apology for duplicating
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Smo_King

I have an electric pump mounted to the firewall and an inline filter off that. It's chattering up a storm tho. Just blowing air. Blowing lines out later and try and get a pic of the filter seal as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Smo_King

No luck with the new filter. I tried the old gasket same probs. Pulled lines, carb, etc... same thing. Popped the old filter in with old gasket. Started right up.

Not sure what the deal is with O'rielys and GMCs but every filter/part I have gotten is wrong or has fitment issues?

Thanks for the help all.