The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #1401
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Slow progress, got the rivets removed and the support pieces are ready for the blast cabinet, one of them is broken at the bottom so I need to find a piece of scrap the same or close thickness and fix it, these plastic screw nuts are proving to be a pita to remove, I have a grill fastener kit coming but I don’t want to ruine these plastic pieces unless I know the new stuff will work as expected.

Anybody know what kinda gloves work for laquer thinner? Last time I painted I was tasting it as it absorbed through my fingers, I need to do better for my health sake as I already have enough health problems already.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #1402
swamp rat

Busy eavening, blasted the grill supports but not before I had to take the blast cabinet window apart , clean and install a new film, I got tired of blasting by brail. Low and behold someone at the factory had folded under the end of the support that I thought was broken off, so I had to grab the torch and heat it and bend it back where it should be, not perfect but close enough. I painted the supports with some Eastwood rust encapsulated sealer paint, also cleaned the radiator support so I can do some touch up work. Then I yarded the spare windshield out of it’s storage location and gave it a good washing. Also got a box of miscellaneous hardware from Brothers.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #1403
swamp rat

Naturally you get a front grill rebuild fastener kit and it’s missing a couple nut clips and a bolt, and the hood higth adjust pads don’t have the lock nuts, but ya keep rolling.

Masked off the grill ring (chrome part) skuffed the headlight area and repainted the black areas, cleaned and reattached the plastic grill, as I had read the plastic press in fasteners are a pita, I first noticed they made them differently, the releaf cuts are perpendicular not cornr to corner, i also realized the releaf cuts did not all have the same depth, just not enough give to press in with my beat up hands, I cut the releafs so they were all the same, then I was able to get it started with a small welders vise grip then finished the other side with a small channel loc. So grill is mounted, I have the outer grill supports riveted back on, wish the kit had a couple black headed rivets, oh well. I elected not to bother trying to polish the scratches on the outer grill , just too many. I also did a quick clean up of the radiator support.

I have to deal with the missing hardware before I remount the grill.

Per the last pictureI did clean up the mess on the floor at the end of the day today LOL!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30 AM   #1404
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Naturally you get a front grill rebuild fastener kit and it’s missing a couple nut clips and a bolt, and the hood higth adjust pads don’t have the lock nuts, but ya keep rolling.

Masked off the grill ring (chrome part) skuffed the headlight area and repainted the black areas, cleaned and reattached the plastic grill, as I had read the plastic press in fasteners are a pita, I first noticed they made them differently, the releaf cuts are perpendicular not cornr to corner, i also realized the releaf cuts did not all have the same depth, just not enough give to press in with my beat up hands, I cut the releafs so they were all the same, then I was able to get it started with a small welders vise grip then finished the other side with a small channel loc. So grill is mounted, I have the outer grill supports riveted back on, wish the kit had a couple black headed rivets, oh well. I elected not to bother trying to polish the scratches on the outer grill , just too many. I also did a quick clean up of the radiator support.

I have to deal with the missing hardware before I remount the grill.
This is going to be really helpful if and when I ever get this far.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #1405
swamp rat

Faced with a delima, the original front bumper is white, the rear is black, I have some black paint and primer. Thinking about painting the bumper black... Partly because I already have the paint.. I can always pull and repaint later if I don’t like it, but once the truck is painted I’m going to install the chrome one I have hanging in the garage.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #1406
swamp rat

It’s starting to look like a truck again! Still need to finish readjusting the fenders and hood. But the sun is beating down pretty hot so taking a break.

Naturally the grill kit didn’t include the black shoulder nuts so I took a run up town to get them and the rest of the missing hardware, the only shoulder nuts I could find were crimp type loc nuts so I ran a tap through them to make adjustments easier.

I also bought new headlight bezel stainless screws and J nuts.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #1407
swamp rat

More trips to different hardware stores for fasteners for the cowl, mirrors and bumper.

I disassembled the side mirrors and cleaned the penitrating oil off them, masked the mirrors and blasted them, primered and painted white. I bought all stainless washers and acorn nuts and the nylon washers. More pics to follow.

Pulled the front bumper and removed the signal lights, fixed a dent with my torch and hammer, not perfect but close enough, made the call to drop it off to be blasted and primed after work today rather then do it at home.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 09-04-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #1408
Vic1947

Starting to come together, Mike, and looking good! Having spent some time up in that neck of the woods, I know from experience daylight's fading and drizzle's on the way. Do you have room to move indoors or will the rat be under the tarp again this winter?
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #1409
swamp rat

Under the tarp as usual unfortunately Vic.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #1410
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Starting to come together, Mike, and looking good! Having spent some time up in that neck of the woods, I know from experience daylight's fading and drizzle's on the way. Do you have room to move indoors or will the rat be under the tarp again this winter?
Life has gotten in the way this week but its given me time to ponder this issue, I have measured the space in my garage between the air compressor, work bench, shelve unit and the support post in the center of the garage and the door, I figure I have about 6" of space to spare on the front to back and 6" maybe 8" side to side, Oh, about 2" clearance at the top of the garage door, this is if I can get everything else moved over to the other side of the garage and the truck will be at a slight angle. I'm going to give it a shot before it gets too damp outside. This is going to choke my ability to do anything in the garage unless I pull the truck out or clear the other side, but I understand that that primer won't last forever over the body work I have done.

So I had the hood closing before I installed the grill and the cowl, naturally now the hood hits the cowl on the driver side but the fender to hood gaps on both sides are very equal front to back and relatively the same side to side. I'm guessing I need to move the driver fender forward rather than try and slide the hood or hinge forward? I'll try and address this soon, working this weekend.

Front bumper was blasted and premiered yesterday and was in the drying oven at 4PM, will pick it up after work.

I had hoped to have the truck down to the glass place a week ago but nothing go's as hoped.. I need to get the hood issue resolved, bumper on and turn signals working before I can drive it anywhere.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #1411
Vic1947

That sounds pretty tight but if you're able to get access to work on it on nice days it might be worth the hassle. A good coat of epoxy primer over everything works best to protect against moisture in the air, but 2K is pretty porous and might not work as well depending on how you wrap the truck if stored outside under a cover. After all the work it takes to get the surface ready to paint, it's a PITA to have to re-do it.

It takes a lot of effort to finesse the gaps. Mine needed shims on the fenders, doors, cowl and core support as well as a few elongated holes here and there to get decent gaps ...and it's still not perfect. So take your time and you'll be rewarded.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #1412
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
That sounds pretty tight but if you're able to get access to work on it on nice days it might be worth the hassle. A good coat of epoxy primer over everything works best to protect against moisture in the air, but 2K is pretty porous and might not work as well depending on how you wrap the truck if stored outside under a cover. After all the work it takes to get the surface ready to paint, it's a PITA to have to re-do it.

It takes a lot of effort to finesse the gaps. Mine needed shims on the fenders, doors, cowl and core support as well as a few elongated holes here and there to get decent gaps ...and it's still not perfect. So take your time and you'll be rewarded.
Yea your not kidding on the gaps, almost everything I do I learn I should have approached it differently, do something else first or save doing something for last, but anyway the gaps are probably as good as they were before I started, I think if its going to get any better the truck needs to be on flat/er ground like a driveway. Tell ya one thing, that cowl don't fit for crap and I think part of it is the tolerance in putting the cab together but its on.

I did find out that there is supposed to be a place close by that rents out a paint booth, I may check into that or just take my truck someplace to have it finished, not sure yet, kinda depends on finances in the next couple years.
I do know that my old bones are complaining more and more these days, everything hurts, sucks getting old LOL! so that might sway my decision on what I do too.

Next up, I got to find warm enough weather ( Its been raining) to put a coat of paint on my front bumper which is now sealed in primer powder coat and the new bumper bolts heads. of course my luck I'll put it on and then the truck won't fit in the garage till I remove it.. LOL!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #1413
swamp rat

Spent the last week cleaning the garage and moving as much stuff as possible to the other side, the rest had to go outside. Fired up the rat and drove her down the street and back, kinda a bumpy ride, flat spots? 🤔 Got her started into the garage and got out to check, yep about 2” to my compressor and 3-4” to the center post, slowly moved in till the door cleared the center support post, and it fits! First time this truck has seen the inside of a garage since it’s been in my family, now it’s going to have a pretty dry winter to protect that body work and primer, but I won’t be able to get much done to it, I can deal with the trade off.

Took a look at my outside “shop” that used to be grass once 🙄 I lifted all the plywood and man that dirt stinks .
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #1414
DD1

Quote:
Spent the last week cleaning the garage and moving as much stuff as possible to the other side, the rest had to go outside. Fired up the rat and drove her down the street and back, kinda a bumpy ride, flat spots? 🤔 Got her started into the garage and got out to check, yep about 2” to my compressor and 3-4” to the center post, slowly moved in till the door cleared the center support post, and it fits! First time this truck has seen the inside of a garage since it’s been in my family, now it’s going to have a pretty dry winter to protect that body work and primer, but I won’t be able to get much done to it, I can deal with the trade off.

Took a look at my outside “shop” that used to be grass once 🙄 I lifted all the plywood and man that dirt stinks .
Wow, and I thought my garage was tight! I see a windshield on there. Is that the one you had professionally installed? Did you end up driving without the windshield or go the duct tape route?

What's the deal with the red truck?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #1415
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Wow, and I thought my garage was tight! I see a windshield on there. Is that the one you had professionally installed? Did you end up driving without the windshield or go the duct tape route?

What's the deal with the red truck?
No on the install, the weather turned pretty fast and I never made the appointment, I don't want the truck sitting in the rain in primer so its going to wait for a bit, like next spring/summer. The shield I have had sitting around I got with the 67, unbroken original glass, I lined the edges with painters tape then a couple layers of duct tape and laid it in place mainly to keep the dust and dirt out of the cab.

The red 67 is my next project, I have had it sitting around for about 5 years? plan is to shorten the frame, replace the cab (rusty) and install a step side bed which I already have, the bed on it now is full of sheet metal, of course rebuild the 6 banger. I have been collecting stuff for it for a few years.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #1416
rgunlock

That's a tight squeeze in the garage! Down here in Houston it is just getting ready in a few weeks to be the best weather for working outside. Are you planning to back it out and work on it any more, or is it put away for the winter? Looks good seeing pictures of an entire truck!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #1417
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
That's a tight squeeze in the garage! Down here in Houston it is just getting ready in a few weeks to be the best weather for working outside. Are you planning to back it out and work on it any more, or is it put away for the winter? Looks good seeing pictures of an entire truck!
I'll still do a little here and there but I don't think I'll be attempting to sand and primer the bedsides this way. The day I got it in the garage it dumped rain that night and been raining on and off for 3 days, its been pretty soggy out, got to play things by ear.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #1418
jaros44sr

Hey Mike, its been a year any updates, hope all is well

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #1419
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Hey Mike, its been a year any updates, hope all is well
Man time flys! I hate to say it but my truck is still sitting in my garage, but at least its warm and dry and on a battery tender! Basically with the new position I took at my employer there has been no overtime so I haven't been able to justify the cost of paying someone to finish my truck to the standard I want, its become pretty evident that between my health and the fact I'm not a body expert that I should have someone else finish my truck. The time off has been welcomed but I promise I will not give up on my truck.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #1420
DD1

Quote:
Man time flys! I hate to say it but my truck is still sitting in my garage, but at least its warm and dry and on a battery tender! Basically with the new position I took at my employer there has been no overtime so I haven't been able to justify the cost of paying someone to finish my truck to the standard I want, its become pretty evident that between my health and the fact I'm not a body expert that I should have someone else finish my truck. The time off has been welcomed but I promise I will not give up on my truck.
Hey Mike, everyone needs a break sometimes. Looking forward to updates when you get back to it.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #1421
rgunlock

Hi Mike, how've you been and are there any truck updates? I went back and sorted out your posts dealing with your fuel tank and bedside filler. I appreciate all the detail that you included.

My 71 GMC currently has a rear tank with the filler in the bed. It sits so far forward that with the tailgate open you have to brace yourself with one hand while leaning in to fill. Summers and bed floors get really hot around here! So that's got to go and thinking I'll do one like yours. Seems like one complication is just finding a tank where filler, vent and sending unit line up out of the way of crossmembers and bed supports.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #1422
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Hi Mike, how've you been and are there any truck updates? I went back and sorted out your posts dealing with your fuel tank and bedside filler. I appreciate all the detail that you included.

My 71 GMC currently has a rear tank with the filler in the bed. It sits so far forward that with the tailgate open you have to brace yourself with one hand while leaning in to fill. Summers and bed floors get really hot around here! So that's got to go and thinking I'll do one like yours. Seems like one complication is just finding a tank where filler, vent and sending unit line up out of the way of crossmembers and bed supports.
Hey buddy, yea hate to say it but i’m still at a stand still thanks to me buying that Silverado! Kinda getting to the point i may have to buy a nice large outdoor shed and gut my garage so i can find room to work on it, i just cant justify paying someone to work on it right now. But still happy its nice snd dry! I’m leaning towards holding off until I retire which should free up some funds.

What ever you do buy a tank thats made for your truck, mine is for a c10 and didn’t the mount flanges are not at the right level. Just keep that hose from dipping down and gas will flow nicely!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 01-23-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #1423
DD1

Hey Mike, what's going on with your truck? No updates in a while!
Old 07-02-2022, 01:33 PM   #1424
Mustard72

Maybe he hasn't retired yet...

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #1425
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
Maybe he hasn't retired yet...
Bingo. This economy is making things a little tight.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's