The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
67carry-all

Fender dent fix?

Hi all, my son did some slip-and-slide after yesterday's storm and kissed a fence post with the truck. I'll likely end up with an estimate from a shop, but, knowing less than nothing about body/paint, was curious what you all think on how this could be repaired? Something a couple of amateurs could do, or best left to the pros? Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Fender dent fix?

I have had a body shop since 1987. I would grind back the paint from the damaged area couple inches past in all directions take my stud welder and weld a few studs in the dent pull massage with body hammer cut off the pins wipe the afflicted area with body filler like a rage gold[ that is the filler I use ] sand block resand reblock and prime with high build filler primer then start mapping out the paint needed . It looks to me like a 2 hour dent without the paint time but some shops may go for gold. Good luck with it if I can help anyway let me know and I 'll try my best. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
67carry-all

Jim, thank you for the great reply. Sounds like a plan but also over my head. Definitely the info will be helpful when I'm looking for someone to fix this. Again, greatly appreciate your input.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
hugger6933

That dent isnt all that bad, if you could borrow or rent a stud gun dent puller you really could get really close to pulling the dent I pull some sometimes and dont need filler afterwards but I have done two or three dents with mine. My little girl was in the 4th grade when I got it she is now 29.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
67carry-all

Thank you for the encouragement! I had no idea that stud welders existed. If I do attempt to tackle this myself, I imagine paint would be the next big hurdle. The current paint is a 12-year-old repaint. What would you suggest in prepping and painting the repaired area? The truck has been in the family since it was new and has a few encounters (mostly minor) with other objects, but still a bummer when it happens.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
hugger6933

Most people could get some 1/8 inch drill bits and a slide hammer style dent puller. drill your holes starting at the worst part of the dent and work your way out. after you pull the dent you need to grind back the paint wipe on body filler then with grits like 80, 120, 180, and 220 sand with finer grits till the dent is just right. Tip here for you, get a six inch sanding block then take a paint stick and cut it off with the good end being about 31/2 inches then you wrap sandpaper on the stick and that little flat made tool is gonna be your best friend towards getting the filler right. after that, you can spray on the high build primer, 3 good coats cause a lot will come back off and fall to the floor. if the fender is base clear, you can just spray 3 coats of paint going out a little farther from the damage each coat that area will need 220 up close to damage then about 400 out away from it. Then the rest of the fender could be sanded with 1000 grit or a medium scotchbrite pad. After the color is fanned on then 2 to 3 coats of clear and then it is just a memory you can have with your son. Jim