The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #251
truckin 79

Re: Gas Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That was only the case when we needed their oil. In the last few years, when the US became energy independent, using our own oil, OPEC production meant nothing. Biden stopping the pipeline and the drilling on federal land in the first week in office caused all of it.
I am not saying the current Presidents policies are not going to affect gas prices in the long term but right now it is supply and demand at work.
That is a long term effect not a short term effect on prices. The pipeline would have taken several years to complete. So the impact on oil prices would not be felt by that for many years
There is a world wide shortage of fuel right now and that is due to OPEC restricting its oil production. They are seeing the warning signs of a global covid surge and less need for oil again. Plus this helps them keep oil prices high with low supply.
One could make the alternative argument that rising gas prices are from the refusal of U.S. producers to increase production. However, it’s more complex than that. During the pandemic, some producers went out of business. Some low-production stripper wells were certainly shut down. That’s production that won’t come back easily. (And some of those factors also impact production from Russia and OPEC).
I hope this is not to political if it is dont stop the thread just delete my post.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #252
KW5413

Today. I heard that we consume 20 million barrels of oil per day. That math says the reserve release of 50 million will satisfy 2.5 days. Like a taking a piss in the ocean.

It's a political distraction. Generally, the release of reserve oil in the US is due to availability issues...shortages. Reasonably temporary in nature. The action is not used to satisfy pricing at the pump. For good reason...it has little to no impact.

We dropped another few cents overnight...not because of any release that hasn't taken place yet.

Refineries are a bigger issue as some shut down to change to winter formulas. A huge Ohio refinery has an issue right now that will impact 4 or 5 states in the region. That could very well impact fuel(s) availability which in turn will kick up pricing.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #253
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It actually dropped here yesterday, down to $3.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:39 AM   #254
Nima
Blue 67

Have you noticed whenever you hear oil prices are going up, the next day gas prices are up but when the oil prices go down, gas prices won't go down for a while!
Oil prices have gone down for a week now but I have not seen any price drop in gas station around me. We are still paying $3.89 for regular.
Supply and demand is an old myth when it comes to gas prices.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Old 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #255
Getter-Done

$2.82 -$2.85 here today.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Old 11-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #256
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Have you noticed whenever you hear oil prices are going up, the next day gas prices are up but when the oil prices go down, gas prices won't go down for a while!
Oil prices have gone down for a week now but I have not seen any price drop in gas station around me. We are still paying $3.89 for regular.
Supply and demand is an old myth when it comes to gas prices.

They are very loosely based on supply/demand and the rest is as much about public perception as anything.
Gas is more a "commodity" than an actual product in that respect. If oil prices go up, they raise the price of the gas that has already been produced goes up in response. This is supposedly there to cover that new higher cost. But then, when the oil price drops, that gas was produced from that higher oil, so the price stays up until it gets consumed. So, it is oil is bought as a commodity, yet the gas is sold as a product.
I don't buy the supply/demand bit in as much as the way they try to sell it to us. People don't just "buy less" when the price is up. They just pay more and gripe about it. Transversely, they don't go out and intentionally "waste more" when the price is down.
It does come into play when purchasing a new vehicle to some degree, but that is a monumentally slow shift.

Funny thing is that when oil was trading below zero a little over a year ago, gas wasn't free? Well, not free, you would still have to pay the taxes.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #257
70STOVEBOLT

Just got back from San Pedro, Belize. Primary form of transportation is golf carts. Gas is $6.12 per gallon US, which is $12.24 in Belizean money.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
Old 11-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #258
KW5413

Even if oil was to trade at zero, the cost of distribution and refining to fuels would come into play...and of course, the taxes. The tax man, at all levels will not miss a beat. At least fuel taxes are a consumption tax.

Gas dropped, again, a couple of pennies here. Unusual...coming into a long holiday weekend.

Which reminds me...everybody stay safe out there.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #259
blazer2007

I see Saudi Arabia is being attacked again from Yeman and looks like abit of war might happen, so gas prices might go up. See what happens I guess.

Last edited by blazer2007; 11-25-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #260
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
Even if oil was to trade at zero, the cost of distribution and refining to fuels would come into play...and of course, the taxes. The tax man, at all levels will not miss a beat. At least fuel taxes are a consumption tax.

Gas dropped, again, a couple of pennies here. Unusual...coming into a long holiday weekend.

Which reminds me...everybody stay safe out there.
I was kidding, there would always be refining, distribution, retail mark-up, and of course the taxes (state and fed)
That's probably about as close as you're gonna se though, in that $1.75 range
The tax alone here is 59 cents

Quote:

Old 11-26-2021, 10:35 PM   #261
KW5413

Dropped to $ 2.94 today. A dime. My guess is, it will ramp back up soon due to new covid variant in Africa.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:39 AM   #262
painterljp

You all worried about gas prices. What gripes me is water prices. See and hear people standing in line at gas station buying 3 bottles of water at $1.69 per bottle that's 20 Oz. And complaining about price of gas.. People paying more for bottles water than for gas!!! But that's ok. I guess. It's all just filtered city water anyways. What's big deal about bottled water. I guess it's for all the people in hell wanting ice water!!!! We used to drink water from tap or hose. Guess we're going to get sick from doing that these days. My kids by bottled water and I still drink water from tap and refuse to buy any bottled water. Off topic. But plastic bottles are evenly bad for environment. There everywhere. Just need to figure out how an empty plastic bottle can be turned it into fuel!!!
Old 11-27-2021, 01:15 AM   #263
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
You all worried about gas prices. What gripes me is water prices. See and hear people standing in line at gas station buying 3 bottles of water at $1.69 per bottle that's 20 Oz. And complaining about price of gas.. People paying more for bottles water than for gas!!! But that's ok. I guess. It's all just filtered city water anyways. What's big deal about bottled water. I guess it's for all the people in hell wanting ice water!!!! We used to drink water from tap or hose. Guess we're going to get sick from doing that these days. My kids by bottled water and I still drink water from tap and refuse to buy any bottled water. Off topic. But plastic bottles are evenly bad for environment. There everywhere. Just need to figure out how an empty plastic bottle can be turned it into fuel!!!
I buy bottled water since the water company issued a warning to me that I was in a zone where the water "could' be contaminated. They didn't lower the rates though.

I don't drink water anyway. Fish poop and make love in it and beer is better.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #264
Grumpy old man

Gas in Knoxville about $2.95 gal
City water about $32.00 a month
electric heat and air runs about $130.00 a month
cable /internet is expensive at $185.00 month

No state income tax !

It's no wonder why so many are moving here .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Old 11-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #265
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Gas in Knoxville about $2.95 gal
City water about $32.00 a month
electric heat and air runs about $130.00 a month
cable /internet is expensive at $185.00 month

No state income tax !

It's no wonder why so many are moving here .
The secret is out now

$2.90 here ( for a gallon of gas, That is)

Old 11-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #266
special-K
Special Order

I rarely buy bottled water, maybe a case a year. When I do, it's to drink and hand out at swap meets and I bring any leftovers home. I use one to freeze nightly to put in my lunch cooler for work. I only buy actual spring water. I drink my tap water daily. I use washed out glass quart jars to take to work. There is no comparison to the cost of gas vs the cost of water per gallon. My truck uses a gallon every 10 miles I drive. I use about 5 gallons a day just to go to work and back. I don't drink 5 gallons of water a day. Most bottled water isn't sold by the gallon either. Just like buying Coke, you pay a lot more per gallon 16oz at a time. Gas costs the same per gallon no matter how much you buy. It's not just gas. How about fuel oil and the diesel that is a hard cost within every product we buy? You fill your tank for the same price per gallon as filling a carry can and that trucker is paying the same per gallon on his fill-up. Also, sometimes bottled water is all there is to survive, such as when public water is contaminated by floods or other interruption. We can't survive w/o water but we can survive w/o driving, when there's a disaster

Regular around here is still the same price as a few weeks ago now, $3.24 at the cheapest place

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-28-2021, 03:41 AM   #267
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I rarely buy bottled water, maybe a case a year.
Here's a tip. If for nothing else buy the water or whatever and keep it in your fridge and in your freezer. It works like an ice chest and keeps the fridge cold. which equals less work for the refrigerator. Less electricity consumed and possibly more longevity for the fridge.

Fun fact. After 3 months of fighting with LG and Lowes over my overpriced refrigerator that didn't work What do you know? It decided to work.

It works fine now. I guess it was just on vacation.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #268
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Here's a tip. If for nothing else buy the water or whatever and keep it in your fridge and in your freezer. It works like an ice chest and keeps the fridge cold. which equals less work for the refrigerator. Less electricity consumed and possibly more longevity for the fridge.

Fun fact. After 3 months of fighting with LG and Lowes over my overpriced refrigerator that didn't work What do you know? It decided to work.

It works fine now. I guess it was just on vacation.

Break in period....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 11-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #269
Getter-Done

Still on the downward slide

$2.82 to $2.85 a gallon here.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #270
Indian113

Gas is $3.03 here on Eastern Alabama. I think it's Ironic that people complain about High Fuel prices while they drink 5-7 Dollar Starbucks!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #271
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Gas is $3.03 here on Eastern Alabama. I think it's Ironic that people complain about High Fuel prices while they drink 5-7 Dollar Starbucks!
I have never spent a nickel on Starbucks or any other fancy coffee for that matter.

Gas is back up here. just a week ago it was at $3.19, yesterday $3.40

Quote:

Old 11-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #272
special-K
Special Order

People don't drink any beverage anywhere near as much as their vehicle drinks fuel.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #273
Nima
Blue 67

It is all about having choices to me. You have the option of buying bottle water and you have the choice of what type and how much to pay for it versus gas, what is your options? The other fact is the propaganda, publicity and psychology of it. I guess it wouldn't bother me if they wouldn't just try to justify the price hikes by using different excuses rather than just saying that we want to maintain and increase our profit! Oil went down $10 and gas in our area (WA,seattle) has not gone down a penny so far. They say when the oil prices go down it takes a while for gas prices to go down and then I ask why the price of the gas goes up immediately when the price goes up but it doesn't do down fast when the oil price goes down.
Again, it is all about having choices and also, the psychology of it.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Old 11-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #274
truckin 79

Tell me about it, I have mineral rights in OK. You would think when gas prices are high that the royalty checks would be higher........nope. In fact the royalty checks have been getting smaller and smaller through the years. The funny thing is they keep telling us that the wells in that county are just not producing that much. Then in the next sentence they ask if we want to sell our mineral rights. The other day we got a check for .50 really .50 that cost more for that company to mail that check.

One thing to remember as well is there is a thing called speculation in oil prices, that can effect prices on oil/gas as well.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #275
Boog
laying low

Reg dropped near a dime today to under $2.80.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Closed Thread