The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #76
72bowtiestepper

Re: Automotive myths

My Dad always told me to stick with the same brand of oil when doing oil changes when you buy a new vehicle....I thought it was BS...till a friend of mine changed from always using Quaker State to a cheaper off brand oil....spun a bearing in a 3 year old Dodge pickup with 40K miles.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #77
special-K
Special Order

^^ That's because of using the Quaker State all that time,I bet. I did the opposite because I was on a road trip to Arizona. Went to a Quik-Lube for a fresh change for the return trip and they used Quaker State. I really didn't like that,but figured any fresh oil is better than the oil that brought me cross-country and through the mountains. By the time I got back my oil pressure was significantly lower from then on. I had been running Castrol GTX. I don't know about now,but in '89 Quaker State was parafin based crap after formulations changed some years prior. I actually stood by Quaker State in my first vehicles in the early-70s,till they changed it.

Hey Slomotion,I guess that counts my vehicles out. My newest is a '92 diesel and everything runs when I'm on glow plugs prior to and during cranking. I can hear the heater fan slow when I forget and leave it on. just an old habit now

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #78
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

How about the One I used to hear for years on end?

If the auto industry wanted to,,,, they could make a carburetor that would get you 100 miles to the gallon.... but the reason why they cant is the oil companies have bought them off..
Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #79
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
How about the One I used to hear for years on end?

If the auto industry wanted to,,,, they could make a carburetor that would get you 100 miles to the gallon.... but the reason why they cant is the oil companies have bought them off..
There might be some truth to it. My fil used to get 35 mpg in his 78 civic.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #80
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I think that might be due to what we used to use "Real Gas Made From All Oil,,no corn added..
Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #81
theastronaut

Quote:
Quote:
I think that might be due to what we used to use "Real Gas Made From All Oil,,no corn added..

My '64 VW gets 36.25 highway mileage (60-65 mph) running around 16.5:1 air/fuel ratio, and that's with E10 gas/ethanol blend. Engines won't won't run any leaner than that and still be driveable. No way any engine can run lean enough to get 100+ mpg on a normal car from just changing the carb; the spark won't ignite, or burn fast enough if it does ignite. It gets difficult to ignite over 17:1 AFR. Leaner mixes burn slower, you have to add timing advance to even run 16-17:1.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #82
special-K
Special Order

Yep! If there was a carb that could give 100 mpg back then,it wouldn't give but 75 on what they call gas today. Same with that Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. Here's a myth,the reason we have these fuels now is because they are better for the environment. Now here's the fact,they create a larger profit for the oil companies at our expense. Burning more fuel per gallon produces more emissions. No math or science to it,just pure common sense.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #83
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yep! If there was a carb that could give 100 mpg back then,it wouldn't give but 75 on what they call gas today. Same with that Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. Here's a myth,the reason we have these fuels now is because they are better for the environment. Now here's the fact,they create a larger profit for the oil companies at our expense. Burning more fuel per gallon produces more emissions. No math or science to it,just pure common sense.
.....And, if that isn't bad enough, the wizards in Washington and the EPA are determined to come out with an E15 gasoline (already out in some areas,) that a bunch of auto manufacturers say they will not repair under their warranty if the damage was done using E15. Go to <www.snopes.com> and search "E15 gasoline".

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #84
GOPAPA

Some years ago I along with others thought that the cars with brains in them( computers we learned to call them) was a terrible invention just so the manufacturers and machanics could control all work done on cars and trucks..

Then as time went by I and others noticed that these computer fuel injected motors did in fact give the best performance you could get..

So the myth that these computer controlled automobiles would fail ,,was just that a myth..
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #85
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Some years ago I along with others thought that the cars with brains in them( computers we learned to call them) was a terrible invention just so the manufacturers and machanics could control all work done on cars and trucks..

Then as time went by I and others noticed that these computer fuel injected motors did in fact give the best performance you could get..

So the myth that these computer controlled automobiles would fail ,,was just that a myth..
I agree with you Larry. When someone says "They don't make them like they used to...." my thought is "be grateful they don't". All of the new technology has certainly improved the operability of today's vehicles from creature comforts to brakes, to reliability, and safety. I wouldn't know where to begin to work on a current car or truck, with all of the computer driven components, but I'm a lot more confident these days that when it's below zero in the morning my van will start.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #86
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I agree with you Larry. When someone says "They don't make them like they used to...." my thought is "be grateful they don't". All of the new technology has certainly improved the operability of today's vehicles from creature comforts to brakes, to reliability, and safety. I wouldn't know where to begin to work on a current car or truck, with all of the computer driven components, but I'm a lot more confident these days that when it's below zero in the morning my van will start.
I agree too. However, the cost of taking a newer vehicle in for a repair is outrageous most of the time, and I learned real quick I had better figure it out! A good code scanner and a service manual puts you well on your way. Some things are actually easier. Nowadays I would rather replace a fuel injector on my Yukon XL than rebuild/tune a carb

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #87
cory d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
My '64 VW gets 36.25 highway mileage (60-65 mph) running around 16.5:1 air/fuel ratio, and that's with E10 gas/ethanol blend. Engines won't won't run any leaner than that and still be driveable. No way any engine can run lean enough to get 100+ mpg on a normal car from just changing the carb; the spark won't ignite, or burn fast enough if it does ignite. It gets difficult to ignite over 17:1 AFR. Leaner mixes burn slower, you have to add timing advance to even run 16-17:1.
my friends first gen accourd gets 35 at its worst, maybe 50 when cruising, its a 1.8 i think, 340k on it. funny how VW's and hondas were getting 40+ mpg...........30+ years ago
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #88
special-K
Special Order

Diesel Rabbits were getting 50 mpg in the '70s. Now what do the new hi-tech VW diesels get?

There are drawbacks to computers in vehicles. It is possible for a bad intentioned entity to shut them all down. I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theory type,never give it thought. But there are those who feel this is a risk. Then there's that whole black box thing. No thanks big brother.
I see all the time people pay good money for repairs that haven't gone away. Even with scanners it's not so cut & dry like the good old mechanical vehicles. Many many many expensive repairs are done when it's some simple little thing. I'd rather pop a rebuilt Quadra-jet on my truck for a fraction of a repair shop bill any day. The new stuff goes and goes for many more miles w/o work. But,when they do need something...gotcha!

Tim

Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #89
richards72chevy

I think the major drawback for a computer controlled vehicle is the claim for the life of the vehicle.Just how long is the life of a vehicle by the manufacturer standards?I have seen to many times when even a good mechanic can not figure out what is wrong with a computer controlled car.I have more faith driving my 72 or 69 impala on long distance trips than my newer vehicles.They don't have a computer or 50 sensors letting the engine know when to get the spark and fuel it needs to get down the highway.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #90
zeldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
funny how VW's and hondas were getting 40+ mpg...........30+ years ago

Back in 1988 I bought a new Pontiac Grand Am with the quad 4 engine and 5 speed. It was getting 40 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH. But I did do a few minor modifications to the engine and suspension. At the same time a friend of mine bought the newest Volvo wagon for almost twice the price and he didnt get anything near the gas mileage I got. But I do not think my Pontiac would get anywhere near the same mileage now because of the new formula gas we have. And the gas is going to get worse. At least we are sucking clean air into our lungs.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #91
GOPAPA

Smile Re: Automotive myths

Originally Posted by slomotion View Post

Quote:
I agree too. However, the cost of taking a newer vehicle in for a repair is outrageous most of the time, and I learned real quick I had better figure it out! A good code scanner and a service manual puts you well on your way. Some things are actually easier. Nowadays I would rather replace a fuel injector on my Yukon XL than rebuild/tune a carb
I rest my case..^^^^.lol in regards to the myth I spoke of above

ever think of what the highways would look like if there were only cars and trucks older than ,,say 1979 ? Then imagine what the shoulders of the highways would look like with all the break downs..,,I like my truck and love driving it but not all people can fix cars and trucks like us guys and gals ,therefore the newer computer cars are pretty darn nice ..and dependable
Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #92
ERASER5

Yes some of the early 70s car got very good MPGs. Dad had a Datson B210 that could get 40 or so. My brother and brother in law each had deisel Rabbits. The diesel Rabbit could run on pennies. The one fact that you guys are forgetting is the horribly animic horse power. Pulling out on the freeway was a challenge. High MPG, low get up and go. Those diesel Rabbits were horrible in the mountains.

I do not like to give up drivabiltiy for high MPGS. I comprimise towards the drivabilty side.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #93
theastronaut

The 60's/70's cars got great mileage because they didn't weigh as much. Now it takes all the modern technology available to get good mileage at double the weight. 1964 VW Bug weighs 1640 pounds, 2014 Beetle weighs 3100+.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #94
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Yes some of the early 70s car got very good MPGs. Dad had a Datson B210 that could get 40 or so. My brother and brother in law each had deisel Rabbits. The diesel Rabbit could run on pennies. The one fact that you guys are forgetting is the horribly animic horse power. Pulling out on the freeway was a challenge. High MPG, low get up and go. Those diesel Rabbits were horrible in the mountains.

I do not like to give up drivabiltiy for high MPGS. I comprimise towards the drivabilty side.
I owned a Datsun 210 station wagon and it got real good mileage.no Horsies though ,, . and that is a very good point..
I know our Honda Accord would win easily getting onto the highway and into traffic a lot safer and faster than my 350 v8 truck.. and its a 4 cylinder ,,ofcourse there are some on here that have bigger and more hp motors than mine ,,but like you said for drivability a nice soft riding quiet no road noise truck or car is the best even if it takes a little more fuel,,
Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #95
toms68cst

I've always wondered about people who put cardboard in front of their radiators to help their heaters run hotter.

To my thinking the thermostat controls the engine temperature. I think that putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator will only risk overheating the engine if the engine is generating too much heat.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #96
boatpuller

Quote:
I owned a Datsun 210 station wagon and it got real good mileage.no Horsies though ,, . and that is a very good point..
I know our Honda Accord would win easily getting onto the highway and into traffic a lot safer and faster than my 350 v8 truck.. and its a 4 cylinder ,,ofcourse there are some on here that have bigger and more hp motors than mine ,,but like you said for drivability a nice soft riding quiet no road noise truck or car is the best even if it takes a little more fuel,,
My dad was a Studebaker fan. He always said how they were "ahead of their time". A 57 golden hawk with a 289 V8 could get close to 30 mpg and flat scoot to boot. And they were a big comfortable car.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #97
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
My dad was a Studebaker fan. He always said how they were "ahead of their time". A 57 golden hawk with a 289 V8 could get close to 30 mpg and flat scoot to boot. And they were a big comfortable car.
Your dad was correct and by tweeking the carb jets you could get 30mpg and another thing is the V-8's got better mileage with the correct tranny and rear end than the 6 bangers..
Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #98
JHT67

Quote:
"You couldn't build it for that" or "It is cheaper to buy one than build one"

Unless you farm out every single piece of labor and pay retail price for every single part, this is not true at all.
Man, if there was a like button on here. ANYTHING you can do yourself is always cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #99
richards72chevy

My cousin owns an early nineties ford truck.He paid some one to rebuild the transmission.When the transmission wouldn't shift as it should after the "rebuild" the guy who rebuilt it wanted to put a bottle of sea foam fuel cleaner in it to clean up the sensors on the inside of the transmission.Just when I thought I've heard them all.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #100
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
I'm sorry but a 289 Hawk would on its best day get at most 20. On average mine gets 16 to 18. The car is just as it came from the factory. 4bl Carter automatic with 3:31 rear. I've had several hawks ,Avantis and larks over the years and the best mileage I ever got was a 63 lark 259 v8 3spd with overdrive 3:07 rear got 24 on the highway doing under 60.

My Hawk was bought by my dad new and has 29k miles . Only thing done to it was detailing the engine and frame. Everything else is 100% factory. I won 1st at the Studebaker nationals in PA in the survivor class .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 09-23-2018 at 10:23 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote