The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
mschwader

Ready to start replacing body parts

Any advice or instruction for removing the front body parts on a 63? Wondering if I should be looking at r replacing all the hardware when I do. Lmc truck seems to have any of the hardware needed.
mschwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Ready to start replacing body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwader View Post
Any advice or instruction for removing the front body parts on a 63? Wondering if I should be looking at r replacing all the hardware when I do. Lmc truck seems to have any of the hardware needed.
i say keep the oem hardware, yes it can be replaced, but at what cost when u already have awesome pieces. if they are unusable thats one thing, but a little elbow grease to clean em up, save money and have the original stuff... i had all my oem bolts black phos coated, and if i was missing a bolt i would buy from a person with same era truck cuz the newer bolts to me dont cut it. there are a few new ones,just cuz i could find them else where. goodluck
Attached Images

pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
mschwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i say keep the oem hardware, yes it can be replaced, but at what cost when u already have awesome pieces. if they are unusable thats one thing, but a little elbow grease to clean em up, save money and have the original stuff... i had all my oem bolts black phos coated, and if i was missing a bolt i would buy from a person with same era truck cuz the newer bolts to me dont cut it. there are a few new ones,just cuz i could find them else where. goodluck
Good looking out! I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I start working on it. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
1963c-10

If the front end hasn't been taken apart, I'd start with a couple of days of soaking with some penetrating oil. The hardest bolts to access in my opinion is where the front upper fender mounts to the core support. The rest are pretty easy to get to. Label everything well....it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road. I like to get dollar store zip-lock bags and label everything!!! Also...on reinstall......doesn't hurt to retap the threads to clean them out and I also like to do the same with the bolts.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
mschwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
If the front end hasn't been taken apart, I'd start with a couple of days of soaking with some penetrating oil. The hardest bolts to access in my opinion is where the front upper fender mounts to the core support. The rest are pretty easy to get to. Label everything well....it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road. I like to get dollar store zip-lock bags and label everything!!! Also...on reinstall......doesn't hurt to retap the threads to clean them out and I also like to do the same with the bolts.
Got it thank you!!!