The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #51
rayfinseats

Re: My new project

Well I have been driving it. With 2.73 gears I usually keep it in 2nd around town. Seems like maybe it's a 305 because it seems pretty under powered. Uses no oil. yay. I got all the gauges working but had to replace some of them. I don't recommend harbor freight gauges. I got a tripple set from Oreillys and used those. Went all mechanical. I haven't done anything to the engine yet. I have had the idle mixture passages on the edelbrock plug up twice so far (fix on edelbrock.com). I have read that the ramhorn exhaust is only like 10 hp below headers so I may just keep the ramhorns. Any feedback on that?
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #52
rayfinseats

I took off the clutch fan and installed a dual electric fan off a chrysler. I wired it all in with a relay and connected it to the ign. on switch. I need to know what wires do what on the signal switch. I think purple is + and the blue and green go to the signals/flashers from there.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #53
rayfinseats

Made some changes to the door panels, (need a better picture) drivetrain working good as is. Rebuilt the entire front end, ball joints, etc. All new hoses the other day. Removed all the AC parts except heater core, added electric radiator fans through relays on with IGN switch. Put gas line shutoffs from Menards on the heater hoses. I think I have about $1,300 in it so far total. Next comes cab corners, door seals, rockers, paint job and wheel paint, mirrors, cosmetics. Weight about 4200 pounds, 350 4bbl, th350, ramhorns, 2.73 gears. I fixed the exhaust for now. I think I'll put on dual exhaust but keep the ramhorns. I'd like to a add my edelbrock performer intake and aluminum water pump and maybe put a new timing chain and RV cam in it. It runs good as is and it's been getting cold out all of the sudden so I may hold off. This thing is a blast to drive. It steel sharp and has great power steering, still seem kinda doggy yet for a 350/4bbl. Not sure if I like the edelbrock carb and I'm thinking the timing is set too far retarded. Almost a keyless system except steeering lock. Got the electric windows working but I need a new stich for the electric door locks. I have the signals wired but need low current flashers for my LEDs.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 09-17-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #54
rayfinseats

I have a quadrajet I may try. I also started adding black carpet. I got it for 39 CENTS a square foot on sale. Usually it's 40 buck a yard.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #55
rayfinseats

Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #56
rayfinseats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
The top of the door panel I made a new strap and then I took a piece of 1/8 x 2" aluminum and hit it with a circular scouring pad. It gives it a wierd affect.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #57
rayfinseats

Interior changes

RustMort and Rattle can Bedliner
Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #58
Miller92

I've got a chrome bumper that I wanna put the bedliner on. Did you have to do any sanding on yours or just spray it on?
Miller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #59
rayfinseats

On chrome you will definitely want to rough it up if you spray it with anything. I didn't sand my bumpers much, just the rough spots. Paint doesn't like to stick to chrome. Duplicolor Bedliner is tough stuff. There is also one called Fast Black that is really tough. You can buy raw bumpers from LMC I think.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 10-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #60
rayfinseats

I got my performer intake on and put a kit in the carb. The secondaries were not even opening for some reason. I fixed that somehow... don't remember.
The carb looked like it had mud in it. Now it runs much smoother.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #61
rayfinseats

I got the horsepower problem fixed. Now I have a starter grinding sometimes. Replaced starter and battery 650 CCA. I have one shim under it now but never had to shim one before. HOW DO I CHECK THE STARTER FOR CLEARANCE ??? The flexplate looks good I checked the teeth tonight.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #62
rayfinseats

I thought I had the starter problem fixed but now I have a bad spot on my flexplate. Carb adapter was causing the problem with the secondaries opeing up. I put on a rocker panel (free) and bought 2 cab corners from LMC. I have a mig welder and metal flanging tool. I slathered on some bondo and used krylon DUAL satin black on bare metal for now. That stuff is awsome. This spring I'll finish the body work and a friend is gonna shoot satin black farm impliment paint on it. I really like driving this thing. It stops WAY faster than my 90 with ABS. I found that out at a red light on the highway the other day. And I can't believe how quick it steers compared to my 90. I can one-finger it.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #63
rayfinseats

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #64
rayfinseats

I painted the wood sides black because it looked like ****. Better now. The starter problem went away when I put on a $NEW$ starter instead of a rebuilt CHINESE Oreilly starter. The starter bolts kept coming loose that hold the starter together. I also added a starter brace strap I got on ebay. Running like a top. Daily driver. I can't wait to get it painted and do something about those rusty wheels. Body man (trade for upholstery in his rat rod) said when I get all the welding completed shaving the signals and such he'll do the paint job.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #65
rayfinseats

I had a weird problem with my home wiring job where the heater blower motor would knock out the headlights and dashlights and them come back on in about 2 minutes. I figured it had to be a circuit breaker kicking off and on. I have a 40 amp curcuit breaker on the entire wiring loom right off the battery. This would happen about half way home from the shop very day. I solved the problem by making a ciruit direct from the battery to the heater switch and I put in a 30A circuit breaker. Problem solved. I think I did really good or really bad since I have about 10 fuses in the truck and have not blown one yet.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #66
rayfinseats

Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #67
rayfinseats

I finally got my signals working. I don't know what the problem was or how I fixed it. I just started over from square one and now they work fine. I added a curve kit with the stock weights and the weakest springs in the kit. I picked up some free power. Now it doesn't seem to struggle when accellerating from a stop like it did. Now it squeels the tires which it would not do before. Milage should be improved. We'll see.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #68
rayfinseats

Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #69
rayfinseats

I picked up some 74 Dodge 3/4 ton front springs cheap. I have to do some planning and then I'll put em on. 1/2 inch difference in length on the front 1/2. Should gain 2-3 inch lift.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #70
rayfinseats

I put on the Dodge springs. Springs=trade. U-boly kit from Advance=$20. 1/2 inch by 5" grade 8 bolts from Menards. Shackles from Menards. $1.85 each. 5 1/2" hole to hole 1/4 by 2" with 1/2" holes. Stock were 4" because these springs have the eyelette on the bottom instead of top. Gained at least 2". Ride is better but bouncy. Needs shocks yet. I had to space my sway bar down 1". Grinder cut off wheel took care of excess u-bolt threads. Will post pictures.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #71
rayfinseats

Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #72
rayfinseats

I tried all the cheap driving lights and they weren't as bright as my halogen hi beams. I got some aiplane landing lights cheap... HAHAHAHA. Will be good for dirt roads.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 05-02-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #73
rayfinseats

Now I need to shorten my front drive shaft an inch or two cuz I only have 1/4" clearance. My shaft rubs ever so slightly on the crossmember and I am thinking of spacing the whole thing down 1/2". I wonder if this will cause problems with the transfer case brace??? Anyone?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #74
rayfinseats

I shimmed my crossmember down 1/2 inch in all three places. Problem solved. I tried it out on a dirt road doing about 40+ and there was a big dip. I had to try it again about 4 times. Seat belts good to have.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #75
rayfinseats

I made a dual exhaust with turbo mufflers and it's on it's way to the body shop for paint and cosmetics. It would have been a little cheaper to buy a whole exhaust kit from Summit.