The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #51
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1972 4x4 Short Bed Project "Seven-Deuce"

Great patch work and nice new truck buddy!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #52
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Did some work on the driver's door yesterday. I got these with the cab and they were in pretty good shape, but not 100% perfect. The corner didnt come out exactly perfect, but hey thats why we have bondo, right? Here are some pics of my patch work.

Cut out the cancer:

Welded in the new:

Ground smooth and ready for putty 'n paint! (make it what it ain't!)
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #53
bcutt

Nice work Nick, your truck is coming along great!!

72 C10 SWB "Work in Progress"
bcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #54
Curt's_72

Keep those updates and pictures coming! Great to see progress.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=494493
Curt's_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

So my last post was the patches i was doing on the doors, but i got tired of that. After the welding and patching, those doors will never be the same and i didnt want to deal with the bottoms being wavy. So i sent some of my hard earned greenbacks over to GMC Paul, and got 2 new fenders and 2 new doors. I must say for repop parts, they fit great. The passenger side sits just about perfect, but the drivers side will need some shimming or massaging. Happy to spend time on that rather than cutting out rot.

Also, not sure if i want to use the mirrors i bought from teeitup, they look kind of big and bulky. They are correct for a 72 highlander (which the truck will be) but i might go with the sport mirrors instead. Thoughts?

Dont mind the mess, i need to do a little cleaning in the garage

Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #56
dbash

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs200p View Post
So my last post was the patches i was doing on the doors, but i got tired of that. After the welding and patching, those doors will never be the same and i didnt want to deal with the bottoms being wavy. So i sent some of my hard earned greenbacks over to GMC Paul, and got 2 new fenders and 2 new doors. I must say for repop parts, they fit great. The passenger side sits just about perfect, but the drivers side will need some shimming or massaging. Happy to spend time on that rather than cutting out rot.

Also, not sure if i want to use the mirrors i bought from teeitup, they look kind of big and bulky. They are correct for a 72 highlander (which the truck will be) but i might go with the sport mirrors instead. Thoughts?

Dont mind the mess, i need to do a little cleaning in the garage

I hear you on the mirrors being "bulky" I have the same struggle with what I am going to do on my build. I have had the sport mirrors for the last five years though. You have to weigh the lack of vision in the mirror with the bulky look. I go back and forth.... I dont want the bulky look but I dont want to wreck my truck due to lack of vision either and I am not the only one who will drive my truck so I am leaning towards the larger mirrors to protect my family and my investment...... at least today I am :-) good luck with your choice!

Posted via Mobile Device
dbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #57
freakshow108

Love seeing new parts go on! Could I ask a favor, if your tow hooks are bolted to factory spec holes, could I get a close up pic of the tip of the hook where it is closest to the leaf perch? I need to drill my holes, I have measurements from someone on the board but the tip of the hooks seem too close to the leaf perches, would like to make sure before I drill the holes, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
freakshow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #58
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow108 View Post
Love seeing new parts go on! Could I ask a favor, if your tow hooks are bolted to factory spec holes, could I get a close up pic of the tip of the hook where it is closest to the leaf perch? I need to drill my holes, I have measurements from someone on the board but the tip of the hooks seem too close to the leaf perches, would like to make sure before I drill the holes, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
My frame already had holes drilled, and i got the hooks off ebay. I wasn't sure how to mount them at first, but i figured that the open part of the hook faces inward so you can pull with it. The drivers side one is about a hair away from hitting the spring perch, and the right side is about 1/8" away. Seems a little funky to me, but if youre drilling your holes, i would move them maybe 1/4" forward on the frame horn, just to buy some extra room. Will try to get pics tomorrow for you
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #59
evowerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs200p View Post
I plan on doing a dark green and white 2-tone, and a green interior with hopefully a highlander seat cover. I love the way that plaid looks...

Something like this one, just without the lift. Belongs to See Ten, who is no longer an active member from what i understand.
Nice work on your build!....Great choice on your final colors too!

69 C-30 flatbed/dump on a '88 P30 chassis
70 C-30 Cab & Chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291544
67 GMC Camper Cruiser cab

73 Gmc K25 Sierra Grande BUILD THREAD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291276
evowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #60
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

On your mirrors, for a 4wd truck or hauler, I really like the kind you have taped on there. The other mirrors do look nicer, but aren't as user friendly. I'll be using mine to haul so I want that mirror area. Great work on it!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #61
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow108 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Heres the tow hook pics, kinda hard to get good measurements. Dont mind the dust and spots i missed with POR... They arent tightened yet, but the left one will have about 1/8" clearance when tight.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #62
liftlawssuck

So I'm sitting here with nothing to do and just surfin around and I see your build. Start looking through, which is coming along great by the way, and I come across the pic of your truck with cab in tow on the ferry. It caught my eye and then I realized "Hey that's my old cab!" I pulled that cab off years ago, stripped it, and had it in my garage until a couple of years ago. I sold it to someone in CT who bought other stuff as well. I hope he gave you the build sheet that I gave him. My kids are getting a kick out of seeing it on the internet. Glad to see it being fixed and put to use, especially on a 4 wheel drive frame. I have the doors and the rest of cab items still. Just too weird I had to write something. Build is looking good. Keep up the great work.
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #63
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftlawssuck View Post
So I'm sitting here with nothing to do and just surfin around and I see your build. Start looking through, which is coming along great by the way, and I come across the pic of your truck with cab in tow on the ferry. It caught my eye and then I realized "Hey that's my old cab!" I pulled that cab off years ago, stripped it, and had it in my garage until a couple of years ago. I sold it to someone in CT who bought other stuff as well. I hope he gave you the build sheet that I gave him. My kids are getting a kick out of seeing it on the internet. Glad to see it being fixed and put to use, especially on a 4 wheel drive frame. I have the doors and the rest of cab items still. Just too weird I had to write something. Build is looking good. Keep up the great work.
That's so cool! He didn't give me the build sheet with it unfortunately, he didn't seem too organized if you know what I mean. I also got a pair of orange doors, a tailgate, and a rear slider from him, is any of that yours? I'd love to know all about the cab, like where you got it from etc. Any pictures you might
have of it would be really neat to see too. I seem to remember him telling me it came from AZ or something, but I kinda had a feeling I was getting BS'ed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #64
ryanroo

i really like those mirrors also. thats the style that was on my truck and i intend to use them.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #65
liftlawssuck

I'll look for some pictures but I think I deleted them from my computer a while back to clean things up but I'll look. No the other parts aren't mine. I only sold the cab. I bought the truck from Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona a long time ago. It was a 2 wheel drive long bed. It had a 68 nose on it but I think it was 69 or 70 truck because of the hand brake in it rather than foot e-brake. When I was taking it apart I found the build sheet under the seat. It went to a dealer called Mustang Chevy or something like that in El Paso Texas. I remember it having the word Mustang in the name some how because I thought it was funny that it had something to do with Ford. I had it trucked from Arizona up here to strip it. All I wanted was the cab for my truck. So I sold everything except cab and doors. After everything was sold I got a cab and doors for free. Which was my plan and it actually worked! To bad you didn't get the build sheet with it. I think those are the coolest things. I have a 79 as well and it was in need of resto. So I flipped a coin and the 79 won. I had too many projects going and I needed to just concentrate on 1. So I decided to sell the cab and put the money towards the 79. I'm really glad you have it and are making it work for you. I will keep watching the progress.
I will look for pics but I 'm pretty sure they're gone.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #66
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Very cool to hear the history on this cab. The VIN tag is still on the door jamb, and according to that its a 69. I didnt get a glove box door with it either, so i have no idea if it was a CST or anything like that. Either way, it will be a 72 Custom Deluxe when its finished. As far as i can tell, its got original paint, and has never had any rust repair done before me, which is nice. I hate working on stuff that someone else has cobbled together in the past.

Now it would be cool if someone on here recognized it from Arizona!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #67
liftlawssuck

It's so nice that someone hasn't butchered it before. It makes repairing them much more pleasant. It is also the reason why I will not buy anything from around here any more.

Now that you mention it I think I might still have the glove box door still. Let me look and see.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #68
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

These pictures are over in another thread on the main board, but i figured i might as well add them to the build thread too. After plenty of nervous procrastinating, i repaired the inner cab roof above the windshield. I used a Tri-Plus patch panel and only cut what i needed. All in all i think it came out alright, it took a whole Saturday and probably 4 evenings after work but im sure it would be about half that for someone with experience. Its not the easiest place to work on, but its done now nonetheless.

Here were the 2 main spots that were rotted through. I cut way around them to make sure i got it all.

Got some POR-15 in there as deep and best i could...

Being that 72's dont have the mirror mount up there, i used a little piece to fill the center in.

Got the pieces welded in. For anyone that is looking to do this, i suggest cutting the corner off your patch and welding it in separately from the rest. That way you can ensure the corner fits really nicely.

Smoothed over with Duraglas, and next will be the finishing body filler.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #69
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great rust repair!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #70
ryanmctee

Hey Nick, your build is coming along great! The big mirrors are the exact same I'm going with on my 72. I think the bigger mirrors on 4x4's just look more natural? Anyways, your dog dish caps on the white wheels gave me inspiration to do the same with mine. Haven't painted the wheels yet, nor the caps, but your pics convinced me to go that route instead of chrome mirrors. Sounds like your truck an mine could be twins by the time their finished!

Keep up the great work and pics! Ryan
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #71
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Wow, last post was in March. March-July is the crazy season for me, being a landscaper. Have gotten a little work done on the truck, but havent gotten around to updating the thread. Progress has been slower than I'd like (Trying to save to buy a house, making truck payments on that '11 i had to have, blah, blah, blah).

The right cab corner is done, and the rocker is screwed in and just needs to be welded once everything is lined up nice. What a bear it is to line up all those repop parts! I looked back but i dont have any pictures of how dented up the right side of the cab was, but anyway those are all straightened out as well. It looked like the bed hit the cab at some point. All thats left is a small patch in the drivers kick panel, and a hole below the drip rail over the drivers door. And once thats done i'm going to take a weekend and sand the whole thing to bare metal and prime in DP40. Anyway, here are some updated photos, and i hope everyone has an enjoyable Independence day. Remember what it's all about!

And just a cool patriotic picture i took....

Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #72
72LSK10

Very nice truck/ build, I've had my K10 for years, I've yet to see another SWB K10 350 with an SM465/205 set up. Most of the one's I've seen have an automatic in them. Very cool.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #73
birdistheword

Awsome build an great rust repair. Seeing those white rims with caps makes me think about switching out my old set of ansen slots for them.
birdistheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #74
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Keeping it going here....

The cab is now 100% rust free!! All metal work on the front half of the truck is done. Just a few small spots on the bed, and that will be it. I dont have any pictures of the rust repair we did on the drivers side, but the upper drivers door jamb and fuel filler are all fixed and welded in.
Today we worked on coating the underside of the cab. My uncle is an authorized dealer/installer for scorpion truck bed linings, so thats who I went with. A few friends have it in their truck beds and i think it holds up really well. So we scraped and de-greased the bottom of the cab, shot it with some etch, and then the spray on liner. Came out really good, i think, and we continued it all the way up to the top of the firewall. Here are a few pics, i will get a few more of the finished product.

Stripped and ready for etching primer

Primed

In the process... ( Look at the size of the hopper on that gun! Crazy...)

All done. It's actually dry in this picture

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #75
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Here are a few pics of what ive been up to lately. I spent a bunch of money at tcpglobal.com, on getting myself set up to spray primer and maybe even paint. I got a DeVilbiss starting line 2-spray gun set, a QC3 Dessicant air dryer for the compressor, and a bunch of sand paper and primer.

While i had the cab on its back to do the undercoating, i figured what better time to paint the roof? Got the inner and outer roof painted, as well as the dashboard and A-pillars. I think i'm ready to get the cab back upright again and get going on the epoxy priming, 2K priming, blocking, and all that fun stuff.

My gigantic paint setup station....