The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
cLaWz

Mud/Sludge/Dirt from Hell (McDade, Tx)

When my wife bought the truck I noticed the dirt buildup on the bottom of both the engine and transmission but didn't think it was a huge deal. Was used out on a ranch, it's going to get dirty I thought. Crawled under to do some cleaning to help track down a leak today, started but almost immediately had a my god moment.

This mud/dirt/incarnation of evil is from hell, theres no other explanation. Ranch is out in McDade Texas and I wondered why my wife always called it the "evil red dirt", now I know. This stuff is EVERYWHERE on the underside of the truck and is rust colored to boot. I went to start brushing and scrubbing and you would think this stuff was some sort of epoxy coating! I would rather clean up tar then this stuff! I spent 2 hours with an assortment of degreasers, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and all manners of brushes and scrapers to try and get this stuff off. In that 2 hours I barely made a dent into the removal of said incarnation of evil.

I do not own a power washer but was curious as to how safe it would be to rent one hose the underside of the truck like crazy with it. Assuming I need to be wary of any wiring, fittings, linkages, etc but otherwise I presume it would be safe correct? If so, any recommendations for cleaners? Just about the only thing I can think of left to try against this stuff. I am NEVER going mudding out that way!

Last edited by cLaWz; 09-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: Mud/Sludge/Dirt from Hell (McDade, Tx)

Wear clothes you intend to throw away . That Texas red dirt won't come out of your clothes . It actually will help with rust prevention . You have a big job ahead of you . I have put the truck in the yard and set a garden sprinkler under it and let that run with just enough water to wet the bottom of the truck . This will soften it up , pre pressure washer . Hope that helps .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
Wear clothes you intend to throw away . That Texas red dirt won't come out of your clothes . It actually will help with rust prevention . You have a big job ahead of you . I have put the truck in the yard and set a garden sprinkler under it and let that run with just enough water to wet the bottom of the truck . This will soften it up , pre pressure washer . Hope that helps .
I was going to suggest this, you can actually let the spirinkler run for a couple hours and it will fall right off.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
cdowns

putty knives and butter knives are excellent tools for scraping things off engines and undercarriges
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote