The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #1
HalfBrit

Re: A header question with a twist

Hey Mike. I have the Doug's 371Y on my '70 C10, also an original 307 truck. I'll post some pics of frame clearance on both sides and the ground clearance below the frame. Years back (before I started down the rabbit hole of a frame off restoration I was running full length Hedman's. They fit perfect, with no clearance issues, but the collectors pointed at different angles causing ground clearance problems, especially on the passenger side. I eventually swapped them out for Sanderson block huggers. I should add this was originally a 3OTT which complicated (extra crossmember/z-bar) the header selection a bit more. Also running a gear reduction starter, like the one in your post.

Last edited by HalfBrit; 08-14-2022 at 07:35 AM.
HalfBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
HalfBrit

Let me know if you need other pics.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #3
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBrit View Post
Hey Mike. I have the Doug's 371Y on my '70 C10, also an original 307 truck.
Those are beauties! How long ago did you buy them? And how's the coating holding up?

I ask because after I started this thread I read a D371Y review somewhere by a very unhappy buyer (can't remember where) who said the welding quality and finish were terrible. Back around 2016, a Pertronix guy told me Doug's and Patriot headers were made in the same Mexico factory just south of San Diego. I don't know when they moved manufacturing from California, but maybe the quality suffered.

Whatever I decide on, I'll buy from Summit because their Arlington, TX store is less than an hour from my house, which makes returns easy.

Quote:
Years back (before I started down the rabbit hole of a frame off restoration I was running full length Hedmans. They fit perfect, with no clearance issues, but the collectors pointed at different angles causing ground clearance problems, especially on the passenger side.
Yeah, the Hedman long-tube "Elite" headers I mentioned in the first post above had the same problem back around 2001! You can see in the picture that the passenger side collector still points upwards too much. Don't know what the heck they are thinking! I mean, we here have a company that's been in business forever and they can't get headers for popular trucks right???
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 08-23-2022 at 10:11 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
HalfBrit

Never could understand the offset angle, left to right. There's literally nothing in the way to prevent them being even. As far as Doug's, I purchased them 2 years ago. I can't speak to the finish (Ceramic coated) durability because the truck is still "in process". Probably will be for some time, lol. I can say the quality of the welds and finish look good and I'm very pleased at the fitment. There's just a slight difference in left to right collector height. One thing that may or may not matter to you, these headers have 2-1/2" collectors. Most full length headers have 3" collectors.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
MikeB

Quote:
One thing that may or may not matter to you, these headers have 2-1/2" collectors. Most full length headers have 3" collectors.
Thanks for your comments. 2-1/2" collectors are OK with me. I'm not sure it makes much difference performance-wise with my mild engine and 2-1/4" exhaust pipes.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote