The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
72K20SUBN

Cool 1972 Suburban Upper Trim Fasteners

Hello all,

This post in search for a suburban guru that knows what the original GM part#'s are for BOTH the push in and bolt in fasteners that mount the UPPER trim which is specific to the 1972 era suburbans.

I'm in need of the fasteners to re-install trim, and they aren't listed in any of the typical LMC, ChevyParts, Classic Industry, Jim Carter, GMC Pauls, etc catalogs. ONLY the truck-specific upper trim fasteners are listed.

Hoping for orig part to cross reference the clip part# at one of the online fastener warehouses.

Additionally, If anyone knows of an alternative/universal fastener types they've had good luck with (and where they got it), or any prior posts associated to this topic, I'd be open that too!

Thanks in advance.
- '71 Custom20 Deluxe 4x4
- '63 Pontiac Bonneville 2Dr HT
72K20SUBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: 1972 Suburban Upper Trim Fasteners

There are a couple vendors here that specialize in clips, but it has been my experience that the OE trim clips like yours and the ones for 67-68 lower trim are not reproduced...

If I were you, find one of the original clips and take a few pictures of it from different angles with a ruler next to it. You may luck out, and one of the vendors may have a stash they'd be willing to sell.

Also, be very wary of places selling your needed fastener. Order one or two, and then see if it works. If it does, order all you need.
In my case with the 67-68 lower trim, there are few catalog versions for sale but they do not work. Plus they are expensive.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
smfdco1

I had the same problem and tried several from the parts vendors but never found anything close. While in Hershey Pa. in October for the AACA fall meet I found a vendor that had 11 of them which I bought but no part number. Still needing 20+ additional clips I found a threaded clip at NAPA that I had some luck with. The NAPA part # is 665-1917 in the BK line. You will need small hands/arms to reach up behind the panel to install the nuts.... I hope this helps you.
smfdco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
72K20SUBN

vectorit / smfdco1,

Thanks for the ideas and reply's. All good things to consider. First approach, I'll give the NAPA clips a look/try. I kind of like the idea of having them threaded on in case I ever need to remove again. Those snap in's were buggers to get out without shaping the metal around the hole they were removed from.

By-the-way Vectorit. I reeeeally like that green burb you got. Don't see to many around in that color (at least where I'm at).
- '71 Custom20 Deluxe 4x4
- '63 Pontiac Bonneville 2Dr HT
72K20SUBN is offline   Reply With Quote