The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #1576
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Those cab patches blow, I had to replace my whole inner front section. I guess the worst part was doing all the grinding and sanding over head. Keep up the progress...you'll have it done in no time!
Thanks I'm glad I didn't have to do all that and just had to do this little spot instead. It still sucked grinding that weld down. I can't wait to get to the bodywork on this truck and get some paint on it finally .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454571

5150's build thread using latex paint and Iron B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Also heres where to get the info on the Iron B
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549806
Thanks for the info on the Iron B guys, I read through the threads. Looks interesting but I don't know if it I would have the balls to do that on this truck. Maybe I will if I screw up the paint

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #1577
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
On your paint job, as stated above the key is good preparation. The bodywork is the hardest part and of course the most time consuming. I can actually lay a pretty nice paint job with a $16 harbor freight paint gun if the prep is done right.
With that said, yes buy the best gun you can afford or borrow a good one from a friend. It makes it easier to lay the paint down.

A big misconception about do it yourself paint jobs, worrying about the actual painting.
Painting is the easiest part (if you don't screw up and make runs)(ask me about runs). It's actually the bonus for all the labor you put into the prep work. I learned the hard way about being impatient recently. I didn't wait the correct time between coats of clear and it sagged like crazy. This is very important!

I recommend using BC/CC just because it's a little more forgiving, in my opinion only. You will get a better depth of shine too. (when buffed). Single stage is great for a driver but your truck is far more than a standard driver, so go ahead and pop for the good paint. Red is expensive BTW. The secret is buy as good of a clear coat as you can afford too. The cheap clears can and will look good too but some yellow and some delaminate quickly.
I would happy to share all my recent learning experience about body work and painting. It has been an education, I painted a bunch of cars back in the 90s and I had to learn all over again
BTW, I have been being tutored by screaminchevypickup (Kyle). He has been helping me a bunch with my concerns as I go. He make some killer paint jobs look easy!
Thanks for all the info Mike, when you say BC/CC is more forgiving what do you mean by that. I know it is a noob question but I'm just trying to learn. I can't get out of my head that single stage is one less step cause you don't have to spray clear on. Just seems easier even though I'm probably dead wrong with that thought.

What paint did you use on yours? I would like to get good paint but definitely can't afford a couple thousand dollars in just paint. I will definitely be picking your brain as well as Kyles when it actually comes time to paint.

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #1578
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Thanks for all the info Mike, when you say BC/CC is more forgiving what do you mean by that. I know it is a noob question but I'm just trying to learn. I can't get out of my head that single stage is one less step cause you don't have to spray clear on. Just seems easier even though I'm probably dead wrong with that thought.

What paint did you use on yours? I would like to get good paint but definitely can't afford a couple thousand dollars in just paint. I will definitely be picking your brain as well as Kyles when it actually comes time to paint.
It's easier to get a high quality finish with base clear. Single stage will never give the depth of shine either. Most single stages just don't shine as good even when color sanded and polished. I have been using ppg base coat ands DuPont Imron clear for my bed and will use ppg clear for the exterior.

I used single stage urethane, and acrylic enamels for years and there is no comparison in the shine and finish of the bc/cc. Even with a shadetree body guy like myself.

As far as cost, it's very expensive for all the materials. The paint is high, but so is sandpaper, epoxy primer, high build primer, tape, reducer, thinner, filler and whatever else I forgot. I have close to $4k in materials, prep and painting supplies. That is including everything spent on the finish of my truck inside and out. But if you spread it out over a few years it doesn't hurt as bad. If you keep track of everything dollar spent you might be surprised how fast it adds up.

Don't cheap out on your ppe either you only get one pair of lungs
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1579
Bennett68C10

Quote:
It's easier to get a high quality finish with base clear. Single stage will never give the depth of shine either. Most single stages just don't shine as good even when color sanded and polished. I have been using ppg base coat ands DuPont Imron clear for my bed and will use ppg clear for the exterior.

I used single stage urethane, and acrylic enamels for years and there is no comparison in the shine and finish of the bc/cc. Even with a shadetree body guy like myself.

As far as cost, it's very expensive for all the materials. The paint is high, but so is sandpaper, epoxy primer, high build primer, tape, reducer, thinner, filler and whatever else I forgot. I have close to $4k in materials, prep and painting supplies. That is including everything spent on the finish of my truck inside and out. But if you spread it out over a few years it doesn't hurt as bad. If you keep track of everything dollar spent you might be surprised how fast it adds up.

Don't cheap out on your ppe either you only get one pair of lungs
4k in materials I know all the sandpaper and tape and misc prep materials cost money, I already have a lot invested but I don't have the budget leftover for that kind of money for paint supplies and everything else I need to get it on the road. I guess I was being a little ignorant to the actual paint cost. Looks like I'll be rocking primer for a while until I can afford it

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1580
checkmate211e

Quote:
Let's see if this works. Video of the first start. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/M8Zy_MXD8H8
Thanks for posting the video! Sounds great

Hydroboost conversion: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...22#post6405622
checkmate211e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #1581
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate211e View Post
Thanks for posting the video! Sounds great
Anytime, can't wait to see how it runs. Might be too much cam, I may have to go a little smaller

66 Suburban

Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #1582
Bennett68C10

Got some parts in today. Billet specialties Chicayne half wrap wheel. Love the looks of this wheel, went with a 14" cause that is what I had on my 72 and I was afraid the 15.5" would be too big and cut into my room in the cab. At 6'3" and 250 I need all I can get
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #1583
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
4k in materials I know all the sandpaper and tape and misc prep materials cost money, I already have a lot invested but I don't have the budget leftover for that kind of money for paint supplies and everything else I need to get it on the road. I guess I was being a little ignorant to the actual paint cost. Looks like I'll be rocking primer for a while until I can afford it
It's not as bad as you would think. I included everything it has taken me to get to where I'm at currently. Sandblast media, welding consumables, gas, respirators, everything......
Basically, I have two spreadsheets-1 for parts (you don't want to see this one) 2 for materials.
It's just something I do to know how much I have spent on this bottomless money pit. Bad thing is, I'm cheaper than probably 99% of the builders on here.

Love the new steering wheel!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1584
67ctener

Very cool video. Sounds like a pretty healthy cam, very cool. Way color then that smooth camed Ls you were thinking, haha. I'm also pretty nervous about paint. My ideas are there but the funds are non existant. Great job and top notch this far I know your paint but be just as nice. Keep it up don't get discouraged
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #1585
knomadd

Nice wheel! I've got the same one in mine and I love it.

There's a lot of good advice in the last two pages (maybe more, I didn't go back and look ) regarding paint. Mike's right about the clear too. Don't go cheap or it might come back to haunt you later. I've seen cheap clears turn chalky in the elements and allow the paint to fade. I'm sure part of that was the lack of maintenance after the paint was done. That saying "you get what you pay for" is pretty true when it comes to paints. The cheap stuff might look good for a year or two, possibly longer if it's well maintained and garaged, but a good quality paint will last a lot longer. The shop I worked at used Martin Senour paint products, which I used to paint my GTO. That was way back in 2001 or 2002. 12 years later and it still looks fantastic.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #1586
Bennett68C10

Quote:
It's not as bad as you would think. I included everything it has taken me to get to where I'm at currently. Sandblast media, welding consumables, gas, respirators, everything......
Basically, I have two spreadsheets-1 for parts (you don't want to see this one) 2 for materials.
It's just something I do to know how much I have spent on this bottomless money pit. Bad thing is, I'm cheaper than probably 99% of the builders on here.

Love the new steering wheel!
Thanks for all the encouragement Mike, the paint and body work is the only part of this build that scares me and it's only because I don't know what I'm doing. Your spreadsheet really helped out, I realized I have already spent a lot of money on most of those items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Very cool video. Sounds like a pretty healthy cam, very cool. Way color then that smooth camed Ls you were thinking, haha. I'm also pretty nervous about paint. My ideas are there but the funds are non existant. Great job and top notch this far I know your paint but be just as nice. Keep it up don't get discouraged
Thanks yeah she sounds pretty healthy, the neighbors will love me I might tame it down a little and put in a hydraulic roller cam. I'm going to start shopping around for paint and supplies like a quality paint gun so I can get a list together and figure out how much it's going to cost me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice wheel! I've got the same one in mine and I love it.

There's a lot of good advice in the last two pages (maybe more, I didn't go back and look ) regarding paint. Mike's right about the clear too. Don't go cheap or it might come back to haunt you later. I've seen cheap clears turn chalky in the elements and allow the paint to fade. I'm sure part of that was the lack of maintenance after the paint was done. That saying "you get what you pay for" is pretty true when it comes to paints. The cheap stuff might look good for a year or two, possibly longer if it's well maintained and garaged, but a good quality paint will last a lot longer. The shop I worked at used Martin Senour paint products, which I used to paint my GTO. That was way back in 2001 or 2002. 12 years later and it still looks fantastic.
Thanks I really love the design of the steering wheel. I want to thank you and everybody else for all the great advice. I think I'm going to try to do this myself. What is the worse that can happen, I do a crappy job and have to sand it back off. It can't look any worse than it currently does with the multicolored primered panels

66 Suburban

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #1587
Rusbuilt

Nice steering wheel bro!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #1588
mikeleeshields

Gotta love getting stuff in the mail

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #1589
Hardesty454

Love that steering wheel.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1590
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Nice steering wheel bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Gotta love getting stuff in the mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Love that steering wheel.
Thanks guys, there are a lot of different options for steering wheels. Felt like I was shopping for wheels again I'm happy with the choice I made, should set off the interior nicely

66 Suburban

Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #1591
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Thanks guys, there are a lot of different options for steering wheels. Felt like I was shopping for wheels again I'm happy with the choice I made, should set off the interior nicely
you did good on the steering wheel

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #1592
Bennett68C10

Thanks Hector

66 Suburban

Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #1593
mikeleeshields

I'm definately feeling you on no paint. By the way I'm too scared to actually capture the cost of everything. That way when I sell it I still feel like I'm making money and not losing my butt lol.

Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #1594
Bennett68C10

Quote:
I'm definately feeling you on no paint. By the way I'm too scared to actually capture the cost of everything. That way when I sell it I still feel like I'm making money and not losing my butt lol.
I'm still undecided on what to do with the paint. I'm just going to keep working on the truck and figure it out later. I don't even bother adding up what I have spent so far on this truck, I know I could have spent a lot less on suspension and wheels and actually had money leftover to have a professional shop do the paint and body but I would rather rock primer then not have the dropmembers or intros.

66 Suburban

Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #1595
mikeleeshields

Definately hearing you on that. Paint is way overrated when I want to drive mine everyday when it's nice out.

Mike
Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #1596
zicc1835

Hey Keith,
read the build thread tonight took about 2.5 hours to get thru it all amazing journey.... when you get her home maybe i could drop by see her in person..... sure hope you dont change your mind on that dakota cluster ill see you cruisin on 9 this summer I am sure
Jess
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #1597
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Definately hearing you on that. Paint is way overrated when I want to drive mine everyday when it's nice out.
Amen brother, just want to fire it up and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
Hey Keith,
read the build thread tonight took about 2.5 hours to get thru it all amazing journey.... when you get her home maybe i could drop by see her in person..... sure hope you dont change your mind on that dakota cluster ill see you cruisin on 9 this summer I am sure
Jess
Thanks for checking out the build Jess, hope to have it home in a couple weeks. I thought I would have had it home by now but it was just easier leaving it at my brothers because of some welding I needed him to finish. Plus he has all the tools and I'm still trying to add to my small collection I'll let you know when it's home, you will be more than welcome to come by and see it. Oh and don't worry I have no plans of changing the Dakota Digital gauges.

66 Suburban

Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #1598
Bennett68C10

Started working on my hood to fender gaps yesterday. The hood overall fits pretty good but needed some work especially at the front lip on the passenger side, plus overall it is just a little long. First we worked on the cowl piece and got that fitting good. We tweaked it a little and now it fits the fenders and the cab much better. After we fixed the cowl we were able to slide the hood back about 3/16". Now the hood only hung past the fenders in the front about an 1/8".

We spliced the hood along the edge pulled it out and added metal before welding it up. We made sure to do like 6-8" sections at a time so to not warp the hood. We also spliced the front edge of the fender and brought it out the 1/8" to match the hood. I think it came out great and the hood looks awesome on their now

Still have to work on the driver side a little as the hood sits about 3/8" higher than the fender near the front of the hood. If you have seen pictures of cowl hoods you know what I'm talking about.

66 Suburban

Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1599
67ctener

Very nice. Is the whole clip aftermarket or just the hood?
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #1600
Lattimer

Quote:
Started working on my hood to fender gaps yesterday. The hood overall fits pretty good but needed some work especially at the front lip on the passenger side, plus overall it is just a little long. First we worked on the cowl piece and got that fitting good. We tweaked it a little and now it fits the fenders and the cab much better. After we fixed the cowl we were able to slide the hood back about 3/16". Now the hood only hung past the fenders in the front about an 1/8".

We spliced the hood along the edge pulled it out and added metal before welding it up. We made sure to do like 6-8" sections at a time so to not warp the hood. We also spliced the front edge of the fender and brought it out the 1/8" to match the hood. I think it came out great and the hood looks awesome on their now

Still have to work on the driver side a little as the hood sits about 3/8" higher than the fender near the front of the hood. If you have seen pictures of cowl hoods you know what I'm talking about.

Wow. I wouldn't even attempt that. Nice work!

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote