The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
richards72chevy

Wire butt connecters.

I know this maybe a stupid question.Been diving into a little bit more electric projects on vehicles lately.Wired up a signal stat switch on my 66 now I need shorten the wire job on it and clean it up a bit.I noticed in one of the other web pages someone said make sure and use quality butt connecters particularly 3m butt connecters.I trust you guys more than any other site.So does it matter?If it does what brand are you guys using?Thanks
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Thealien

Re: Wire butt connecters.

Personally I have always used non insulated butt connectors with quality shrink tube shrinked over the connection
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Twist wires together and solder, and cover with heat shrink tubing. That is a permanent connection that will not fail, and no need to butt connector at all.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
gmc684x4

Yes Solder and heat shrink
All but connectors are a ticking time bomb waiting to fail at an in opportune time

to solder you need clean the copper to shiny bright copper twist together use electronic rated flux and electronic rated solder and a proper solder iron not a plumbing torch

Reason for electronic rating is its non acidic and wont damage the wiring or corrode it over time

For a solder iron I picked up a nice butane one
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Thealien

All the factory connectors are crimped on new vehicles and our 50 year old vehicles. Soldering has a potential for the conductor to break right where the solder ends if there is any vibration. Properly crimped connections will last a very long time. Adding the heat shrink adds a bit of strain relief.

40+ years electrician working in Nuclear, power plants, production facilities, and hospitals. Use whatever makes you happy.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
LS short box

I've rewired a number of hot rods and always used the butt connectors that heat shrink after you make the crimp. They also have some type of "goo" inside that seals the butt connector. Never had one fail. Buy them in bulk at Fastenal. Do not use those cheap blue or red butt connectors you buy at Lowes or Home Depot.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
richards72chevy

Never have messed with the solder method.I have watched a few videos on it.The only thing that seems complicated about it is doing it tight spaces.Is it necessary to use the solder wax before soldering.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Killer Bee

these little gems are the only way to go..

I've been working full service on heavy junk for 30 years and this is how the pros do it..

3m is popular brand but just about everyone sells them, kimball midwest, hi-line, lawson, etc..

friends don't let friends use scotch-loks but solder and heat shrink will surely outlast the machine you're working on

Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
gmc684x4

Yes the flux helps distribute the solder through the joint
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
dmjlambert

If you get electronics type rosin core 60/40 solder, it has the flux built in. Just slide the heat shrink tubing up the wire far enough to be away from heat, twist the wires together, and heat the connection with a soldering iron or mini torch and apply the solder. Then slide the heat shrink tubing onto the connection and shrink it. I recommend practice a couple times soldering some pieces of wire that are not on the truck, and then you'll be ready to go. The self-solder connectors look interesting, but I'm old school I guess.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
wixthedog

Honestly there is no perfect way. My job requires tons of soldering and lots of training to go with it and we suffer failed wire connections too. While rare we use crimp connections and they fail too.

What do I do on my C10? I solder and heat shrink when I can but I don't feel bad about using crimp connectors when it works out (but always with adhesive lined heat shrink).
1979 C20 RCLB - 350 - TH350 Auto
wixthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Dukk

A person can bone a solder connection or crimp connection just as easily. Either done correctly should be a permanent connection. The issue is making sure it is done correctly.

In either case, the use of a good heatshrink to ensure that corrosion does not affect the exposed copper is critical to longevity. This is where 90% of long term failures on crimped connections comes from.

Last edited by Dukk; 08-13-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote