The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
TimQ

My 86 C10 - to build or not to build? Your thoughts?

Sorry for the long story, but I figure context will help for those willing to chime in with an opinion. Thanks in advance!!!

I've had an 86 c10 for about 10 years now. I picked it up with about 65k miles on it to use as a utility truck...picking up mulch and lumber, moving my lawn tractor, etc. It's been a great truck and it now has about 87k miles.

I'm in grad school now, so money is somewhat tight, though that will be changing once I graduate in May of 2011. My original plan was to have this truck get me through 2011 and then sell it when I move to a new town figuring I'd just buy some new utility truck. Well, then I did a repair, got attached to the thing, started visiting boards like this, and got the itch to do more.

Let me explain...

Name:  DSCF0038.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  52.1 KB

I've never been into cars or trucks...they are just something you use for me. I've never even changed my own oil. But, that sort of changed recently...

About 3 months the truck started really acting up. She would run rough at times and, once in a while, stall at speed. Most of the times she'd start back up but on a few occasions I had to get towed (good thing I have AAA).

My mechanic suggested it needed a new carb but wasn't able to find one locally. I ended up finding one online. During my research I read about how simple it was to replace a carb and decided to give it a crack myself. It took a while to get all the hoses off, labeled, and then reattached, but when it was all back together, I started her up and it sounded great. Idle was smooth again, engine was quieter, power was back, and I was hooked on tinkering with her some more. Most important, however, was that I couldn't imagine selling her in a year. But, she's got some rust which would have to be dealt with sooner or later.

Name:  DSCF0041.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  49.4 KB

As a grad student, I don't have the time or the space to do a complete frame-up restoration. I also don't have the desire to have a show truck or anything like that. I just want something that runs reliably, looks decent in front of my house, and that will last me a long while.

After doing some initial research I figured I would find a local body shop to deal with the body rust and put a new coat of paint on her. Then, over the next month or so I figured I would redo the interior (seat, dash, audio system, and floor/carpets).

I figured in a few years, once I was back to a normal income and more spare time/space I could revisit any other issues (maybe rebuild the engine and/or look into cleaning up the frame and the rest of the underside of the truck).

So my question is this...am I crazy to spend a few grand on the paint job and rust remediation now figuring I'll get to the rest later? I'm mostly worried about spending the money on the body only to have it go to waste because I didn't do something else now.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
TimQ

Name:  DSCF0046.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0050.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0056.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  62.3 KB
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: My 86 C10 - to build or not to build? Your thoughts?

There is no right way of order to do a resto in this situation. Take it one bite at a time. you could stop the rust from spreading, then when time and money comes around, learn how to fix the rust for good or take it to someone. you don't need to do a frame off to have a killer truck. If the frame and mounts still in great shape then your good for a while. If your goal is to show then go then get the outside and inside all done up. If you want to go then show then spend time on getting the running gear done up right.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

first off as someone who has done several restorations on these trucks you need to assess the frame. If the frame has surface rust and no rot the truck is prolly in good shape.
From the limited pictures here it appears your truck has the normal wear and tear for this genre. It looks worth fixing from here.

For th e bed id recommend a spray in bedliner like duraliner. that will take care of back there. It will need to be prepped correctly and all but they can install that.
Can you take some pics of underneath the truck and dead on from all around showing the truck sides and nose?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
cableguy0

Theres really no proper order to do it. Usually guys paint last because they dont wanna scratch fresh paint working on the rest of the truck. If your just after a nice daily driver and the frame isnt rotted. I say go for it with doing the paint and body then move to the interior. You can always rebuild the suspension as you go. You can always take the body off later and clean and paint the frame if you want. The only difference being you will have to be more careful when pulling the body so you dont tear up the paint.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

The rust on yours seems to be pretty much cosmetic, BUT, like Bob says, get a good look at the underside. If thats pretty good (no rotted out cab supports ect) Go for a restoration on top and do the frame ect later, but don't let the bottom go to long. I did mine frame off, but thats just me. Good luck with it, she seems solid enough to be able to go thru without spending more than 2 or 3 grand. Total on mine over the 2 years it took to do it was close to 14 grand, but mine was rough, real rough when I started. Cab mounts were gone, floors gone, rockers gone, cab corners gone, no brake lines. Now I have a virtually new vehicle that looks great, runs great and will last. I think it's a good investment all things considered. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What you need to decide is do you really love "that" truck. If you do, then only you can determine how much it is worth if repaired.

If it were me, I would shy away from making costly rust repairs and search for a rust free truck. That may mean traveling to another region to bring one home, but the money would be well spent.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
D.FENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
What you need to decide is do you really love "that" truck. If you do, then only you can determine how much it is worth if repaired.

If it were me, I would shy away from making costly rust repairs and search for a rust free truck. That may mean traveling to another region to bring one home, but the money would be well spent.
N2TRUX makes a good point here. Whether any of us want to admit it or not, it doesn't take much in the way of rust repair to equal or exceed the price of a better starting point.

That said, the patina-look is still pretty popular. You could just catch up the service work, drop the truck on some wheels, and roll out. Worry about fixing the rust or bodywork issues later (or not at all, your choice).

Last edited by D.FENS; 02-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
TimQ

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Lots to think about. I'm heading out to tinker with a few things and will get some pics of the front/sides and underneath as requested.
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I could not tell by looking at the pictures but is the truck a short or long bed?

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote