The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Rig7

Cool Fuel gauge

I don't understand electric wiring, I am a dummy at it. That being said I could use some help with my fuel gauge problem. I have a 1969 GMC C1500 truck, the gas tank is still mounted behind the seat. I have a 1/4 tank of gas in it. My gauge is reading past full at the 3 o'clock position. What I did was hooked up my test light to the ground checked it with some of the fuses to make sure it was working correctly, it was. So I touched It to the wire and sending unit the wire that goes back to the fuse box, when I did that the gauge moved back to the 1/4 tank mark. Know isn't that grounding that positive wire to the sending unit? I just don't know what to do at this point. Need help please.
Rig7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Fuel gauge

This thread may help

Link: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=gas+gauge

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: Fuel gauge

From reading your post I got the idea you probably touched the post at the fusebox that the tan wire normally plugs into, and that made the gas gauge move. Plug in the tan wire and then go to the fuel tank. Remove the tan wire from the gas tank sending unit and touch the wire to ground using a short jumper wire or test wire, or use you test light the same way you did at the fuse box. If the gas gauge does the same thing and moves toward empty, that would mean your wiring is probably OK and sending unit is not OK. If the gauge does not move when you ground the wire at the sending unit, trace the wire and check it for damage or a break in the wire somewhere along the route. On my truck it goes under the carpet and under the sill plate between the carpet and rocker on the driver's side.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote