The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
JPTL

Question Restoring a '66 C20. Have some originality questions

Although I'm not new to this forum, I didn't realize that only Premium members could post new threads - or even reply to existing threads. So I lurked for a year or so, but finally decided to pay as a Premium member so that I could post.
I've come to realize that this forum has members who are '60-'66 C10/C20 experts and purists. A year or so of searching has taught me a ton about my '66 C20, thanks to this forum.
I found this truck in Tucson 10 years ago. I bought it from the original owner's grandson. Kinda cool. It was an AZ truck it's whole life and has zero rust....even the little nooks & crannies under the long-since gone bed wood are rust-free.
I've decided to make it a mostly-original driver. Going back to the factory color: Turquoise with a white top. My brother set me up with some nice aged oak that I milled and joined for the bed. I was able to refinish the original rails. Against the advice of a friend of mine, I decided to keep the 8 lug steelies and mount new bias plies. I really like the vintage stock look. I'm guessing the ride won't be the greatest..
So my questions:
  • Were the wheels painted body-color, white or black for '66 C20 Custom? I did mine in white, but I'd like to know what was original.
  • There doesn't seem to be any signs of black CHEVROLET lettering in the aluminum grill. Was this lettering originally black?
  • The rear bumper appears to a Barden. It's a beast. I'm guessing it was a dealer-install. Did any C10s or C20s come from the factory with Barden bumpers?
  • Any idea what the Barden bumpers are tow-rated?
  • Any C20 owners out there tow with Barden bumpers?
  • I've seen various styles of mirrors mounted on C20s. Were there different styles with different mountings available?
  • Were door mirrors sometimes dealer-installed pre-sale, or per a customer's order?
  • I've ordered the '62-'66 ignition switch from ClassicParts.com but I'm having a hell of a time finding the factory connector. The original connector was cut out when the p.o. put in an aftermarket ignition switch. Will a '67-'72 connector work?
  • Any thoughts on where I can get a pair of '66 C20 fender emblems?

Any tips, tricks or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
JP

Last edited by JPTL; 10-22-2023 at 09:13 PM.
JPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:47 PM   #2
60short

Re: Restoring a '66 C20. Have some originality questions

I think you only have to be a premium member to post in the classifieds, but I will let the mods confirm ...

here's a few cool threads ....

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...hlight=factory

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=3%2F4+ton
20+ year long term project in process
Lots of Rust, more memories...
60short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:13 AM   #3
JPTL

Those links are great, especially the second one.
Thanks for sharing. I have some reading to do.
Re: posting threads restricted to Premium members-
Nowhere on this site is it mentioned that only Premium members can post, but for almost a year I was able to log in, but when I tried to post a reply or a new thread, I'd get this message:

Tried to contact administrators at accounts@67-72chevytrucks.com several times with no response. Nothing in my spam box, etc.
The minute I paid (10 months after becoming a member), I was immediately able to post. So it's pretty clear to me that only paid members can post threads. Maybe this is something new in the last year.
..and the reason that nobody has heard about this is because non-paying members can't post their issue!
Anyway, I'll step off the soapbox and get on to enjoying and learning about my truck.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:57 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTL View Post
Those links are great, especially the second one.
Thanks for sharing. I have some reading to do.
Re: posting threads restricted to Premium members-
Nowhere on this site is it mentioned that only Premium members can post, but for almost a year I was able to log in, but when I tried to post a reply or a new thread, I'd get this message:

Tried to contact administrators at accounts@67-72chevytrucks.com several times with no response. Nothing in my spam box, etc.
The minute I paid (10 months after becoming a member), I was immediately able to post. So it's pretty clear to me that only paid members can post threads. Maybe this is something new in the last year.
..and the reason that nobody has heard about this is because non-paying members can't post their issue!
Anyway, I'll step off the soapbox and get on to enjoying and learning about my truck.
Welcome to the forum, JP!

Sorry to hear you had some issues with the registration process. A lot has been going on behind the scenes with admin related things, so unfortunately your registration request slipped through the cracks.

To set the record straight here, no, it is not a requirement to be a premium member to post a new thread. That is ONLY a requirement in the classifieds section.

Thanks,
Christian

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:35 PM   #5
JPTL

Thanks for the reply, Christian. I don’t regret paying for premium membership. I’ve already gotten way more than my investment in advice, tips, and references. I expect it will keep coming.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
60-66

1)Were the wheels painted body-color, white or black for '66 C20 Custom? I did mine in white, but I'd like to know what was original." If your truck is a Two Tone paint , wheels are the Main Body color . White wheels were ONLY on GMCs .
2)There doesn't seem to be any signs of black CHEVROLET lettering in the aluminum grill. Was this lettering originally black? Yes but that paint rarely lasted very long . Its very easy to repaint the black with some patience's .
3)The rear bumper appears to a Barden. It's a beast. I'm guessing it was a dealer-install. Did any C10s or C20s come from the factory with Barden bumpers? Not from the factory , no. Most trucks left the factory without a bumper but you could order the Chrome rear sport style or one of Chevrolets step bumpers . The Bardon was a much stronger bumper though.
4)Any idea what the Barden bumpers are tow-rated? Cant answer that
Any C20 owners out there tow with Barden bumpers?
5)I've seen various styles of mirrors mounted on C20s. Were there different styles with different mountings available? 66 had several different mirrors , if you post a picture of yours I can answer what style you have. The most common are West Coast Juniors.
6)Were door mirrors sometimes dealer-installed pre-sale, or per a customer's order? Could be put on at the factory or dealer installed.
7)Any thoughts on where I can get a pair of '66 C20 fender emblems? Best source will be watch Ebay or put a wanted add in the parts for sale area on this forum.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:04 PM   #7
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTL View Post
Going back to the factory color: Turquoise with a white top.
Great color combo! Many trucks go thru a complete metamorphous over the years, difficult to determine the way some looked off the assembly line. This is an excellent representation of a '65 C 20 the way the factory built it, restored by member cru zn 29 (Kenny). I recommend purchasing a '66 dealership brochure and an '66 truck options and accessories brochure for all the many extra cost items that were available.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:36 AM   #8
JPTL

60-66 factorystock thanks for the great replies!
factorystock, that's inspiration! Exactly what I'm going for…down to the bias plies. I’m not expecting to see those hubcaps coming my way anytime soon and unfortunately, I’m missing the C20 fender emblems, but I’m patient.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:41 PM   #9
factorystock

There should be a decal inside your glove box door for any factory optional equipment installed when new or a paper build sheet under or behind seat sandwiched between the springs. But overtime, they may or may not still be there, unfortunately not permanently attached to vehicle. If both gone, becomes a matter of educated guesses thru observances of what remains.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #10
JPTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
There should be a decal inside your glove box door for any factory optional equipment installed when new or a paper build sheet under or behind seat sandwiched between the springs. But overtime, they may or may not still be there, unfortunately not permanently attached to vehicle. If both gone, becomes a matter of educated guesses thru observances of what remains.
It's the latter. Educated guess. I'm pretty sure it's a Custom Cab with factory air. The Barden bumper was most likely a dealer-added option. Although I kind of prefer the smaller chrome rear bumper, the Barden does make it look a bit more C20ish IMO.
Since it was repowered with a Chevy 350 and TH 350 auto trans, I can only guess at what the original engine was.