The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #101
originalJD
James

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I drove my truck 32 miles to work and 32 miles back home, just as I do five days a week. I may not have much time to work on it anymore cause of work and things. But I sure love to drive it. I drive my truck way more than I do my Camaro with a very beefy motor.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #102
astrochimp

New battery!!

Hope to driving it to work tuesday. Not a big deal, about a 5 min trip a mile each way.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #103
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Worked on my hump... shifter hump that is. Ground the welds, put on some seam sealer and installed the Hurst 4-speed shifter.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #104
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Could almost smell DPowers fresh new motor......lookin' good.

It smells sweeeettt....
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #105
HotRodYJ

Ordered new longer bed sides and fender extension panels from my local sheet metal shop yesterday. I'll finally be able to get the extended bed on this thing and see what it's really going to look like!

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902
Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #106
Rusteeze64GB

1. messed with the engine harness
2. put on the power steering bracket and pump.
3. put radiator support back on
4. Put a little satin black paint on the passenger side
5. put my black powder coated parts on
6. attempted to start the truck but would not turn
7. bought a new horn relay
8. trying to figure out why she wont start
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #107
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Got the snow tires installed.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #108
Vernski

Markb I like the look with the rally's on your truck, I just bought some a few weeks ago, they are being powder coated may pick them up tomorrow, I'll post some pic's when the tires are mounted. I like BFG T/A's what is your preference in tires? Thanx---Vernski
Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #109
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've been running Radial T/A's almost exclusively since they came on the market - until recently. I like the fact they're dirt cheap compared to other performance tires, and have that classic styling. The downside being the center of the tread always seem to wear out prematurely, long before the rest of the tread - especially on the rear of the truck. I had the same problem on my 46 Ford. I just got tired of replacing half worn tires because the centers were getting bald. I've run the pressure as low as 24 psi and it didn't seem to help.

So the last time I needed rear tires, I bought Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires instead. I like the way they look better than the T/A's. They have a more squared shoulder and look more impressive (IMHO). They also ride smoother, last longer, wear evenly, and cost about the same as the T/A's. They are what's mounted on the rear mags in the recent posts. The front tires remain T/A's. I'll probably replace them with Firestones when they wear out.

The tires on the rally wheels are Cooper studded snow tires. Cooper makes great snow tires. They were standard on the ambulance my wife used to drive when she was an EMT. I once made the mistake of thinking this meant all Cooper tires were good. I bought a pair of regular non-snow Coopers for the front of the truck years ago, and they were so soggy it ruined the handling and I got rid of them.

Studded snow tires were just about mandatory when we lived up by Athol, or we couldn't get to the highway during the winter. When these wear out many years from now I'll probably just stick with the street tires during the winter. As long as I have the extra wheels and tires I'd rather keep the Americans in the garage during the winter months when the streets are being sprayed with mag chloride.

Just curious, are you using the powder coating outfit over on Atlas? That's where I used to have all mine done, they did great work.

Last edited by markeb01; 11-04-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #110
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Are you talking about Lake City Powder Coating? They do the best powder coating in the area. They were one of the first in this area.....been doing it for about 25 years. They are convenient for me since I'm within walking distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Just curious, are you using the powder coating outfit over on Atlas? That's where I used to have all mine done, they did great work.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #111
63deluxfleet

Quote:
I've been running Radial T/A's almost exclusively since they came on the market - until recently. I like the fact they're dirt cheap compared to other performance tires, and have that classic styling. The downside being the center of the tread always seem to wear out prematurely, long before the rest of the tread - especially on the rear of the truck. I had the same problem on my 46 Ford. I just got tired of replacing half worn tires because the centers were getting bald. I've run the pressure as low as 24 psi and it didn't seem to help.

So the last time I needed rear tires, I bought Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires instead. I like the way they look better than the T/A's. They have a more squared shoulder and look more impressive (IMHO). They also ride smoother, last longer, wear evenly, and cost about the same as the T/A's. They are what's mounted on the rear mags in the recent posts. The front tires remain T/A's. I'll probably replace them with Firestones when they wear out.

The tires on the rally wheels are Cooper studded snow tires. Cooper makes great snow tires. They were standard on the ambulance my wife used to drive when she was an EMT. I once made the mistake of thinking this meant all Cooper tires were good. I bought a pair of regular non-snow Coopers for the front of the truck years ago, and they were so soggy it ruined the handling and I got rid of them.

Studded snow tires were just about mandatory when we lived up by Athol, or we couldn't get to the highway during the winter. When these wear out many years from now I'll probably just stick with the street tires during the winter. As long as I have the extra wheels and tires I'd rather keep the Americans in the garage during the winter months when the streets are being sprayed with mag chloride.

hey i used to live in chicago for a few years and here they salt the roads, my question is how does your truck stay rust free??? they tried that non eroding snow melt stuff but its all the same here it still rusts cars...my 02 neon has cancer in the rear quarter lol

.......THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS.....
Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #112
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Are you talking about Lake City Powder Coating? They do the best powder coating in the area. They were one of the first in this area.....been doing it for about 25 years. They are convenient for me since I'm within walking distance.
I looked up an old receipt - it was United Powder Coating. I had them do a bunch of my stuff including several sets of wheels. Always had great results. Then I moved to Spokane and had somebody in the valley do some wheels because they were close. What a waste of money. They didn't even bother coating the drop center area where the tire mounts. Not sure if United is still around, it's been about 10 years since I needed anything done.

Last edited by markeb01; 11-04-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #113
Bugeyev8

Fixed more Rust on my 62 today !! wow...I work on British cars and though they were bad for rust...they got nothing on my old Chevy !!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 AM   #114
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The guy that owns Lake City worked at United when they did plating and then when the started powder coating. So he's been there from the beginning. When the owners of United Powder Coating passed away, he bought the equipment but he wasn't allowed to use the United name. So he went with Lake City. So it's in the same place it has always been and the same quality work as well.....just a different name.

Now that I thought about it, I remember seeing your truck over there years ago. I've always wondered what happened to that truck.

Quote:
I looked up an old receipt - it was United Powder Coating. I had them do a bunch of my stuff including several sets of wheels. Always had great results. Then I moved to Spokane and had somebody in the valley do some wheels because they were close. What a waste of money. They didn't even bother coating the drop center area where the tire mounts. Not sure if United is still around, it's been about 10 years since I needed anything done.

Last edited by Captainfab; 11-04-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #115
Vernski

Just curious, are you using the powder coating outfit over on Atlas? That's where I used to have all mine done, they did great work.[/QUOTE]

Markb I was recomended by a friend to try Evergreen Powder Coating in Spokane. My buddy raved about them and showed me their work, looked like good quality work. I should get them back tomorrow I will post a pic.

Hey Cap I called them but but didn't return my call so I took them to Evergreen.
I may try Lake City for future stuff though depends how this turns out.
Vernski
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #116
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63deluxfleet View Post
hey i used to live in chicago for a few years and here they salt the roads, my question is how does your truck stay rust free??? they tried that non eroding snow melt stuff but its all the same here it still rusts cars...my 02 neon has cancer in the rear quarter lol
On mine specifically, it started life as a rust free California 1 family owned truck, originally purchased by a retired guy that basically used it to go fishing locally. It stayed that way until we moved to Idaho. Within 1 year, the minor paint chips turned into the measles which broke out all over the painted surfaces. So we tore the truck completely apart and painted the chassis and bottom of the body with POR-15. Some places got an additional layer of acrylic enamel and/or 3M Body Schutz. Sadly, I reshot the exterior using the old school process of lacquer which doesn't hold up very well to abuse. I had the rockers replaced with NOS originals a few years ago, and a couple of minor spots on the doors welded up. Then recently I repainted it with nice thick enamel tractor paint.

For the last 6 years I lived 2.5 miles from work, so it didn't see many miles any more, particularly in the winter. Now that both the truck and I are retired, it only gets used for fun or to bring home something too big to fit in the car. The plastic Honda does almost all the rest of the winter driving. If I used the truck all the time during the winter in this region, it would definitely get rusty.

From what I've read magnesium chloride is a salt just like sodium chloride. It's suppose to be less corrosive on metal, but the offset is it's suppose to be harder to get off than salt, resulting in even more rust.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #117
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

be glad here in New Hampshire they spread pure salt at a rate of 500lbs per mile...well thats what state spec is but all the plow guys I know ( including me) use more than that....the only time I try to get out with any iron that I want to keep is when the temp is below 20* because salt doesn't work and usually the roads will dry/freeze keeping the salt in check...well until you get home and in the garage anyway

Here is a trick I picked up a few years ago that seems to be helping out the daily drivers...

hit the grocery store and buy a couple blocks of parifin wax hit up a yard sale and buy an old crock pot...drop the wax into it and get it good and hot then I use what was an old hand held sipone sand blast nozzle...pour wax in a one gallon jug ( like a windshield washer bottle) then lay out a trap pull the ruck up a set of ramps with tetrap under them to catch the over spray...put on your crappy shop cloths and slide under with the blaster and hot wax and let it have it...I have found that you can over due it so just a thin coat is all it takes..if you put to much on it gets to heavy and will slide off the panels.......in the spring time I wait till the roads have had a good rain storm to rid them of salt...then power wash the bottom as much as you can.....the hot water will blast the wax right off.......here something you may laugh about it about made me wet my pants......I took my dark blue diesal to Fla towing the bike trailer when I got to fla I washed the truck to clean it up looked like a million $$ drove back to my sisters and parked in the driveway....and as you can guess the with warm temps and the sun baking the dark body panels it left puddles of wax everywhere I quickly learned to park in the street.....
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #118
777ralph

Hottrucks, I might have to try the wax trick. Lots of salt here too. In the summer they use a pothole patching truck that just sprays a tar and pea gravel mix to fill the holes. Operator stays in the cab. They depend on the rest of us schmucks to tamp the stuff down with our cars, and that crap gets sprayed all over the outside of the car. A ***** to get off!
OOPS! Sorry for the threadjack!
I filled my 64 longbox with gas today, and took some leaves to the dump. Almost time to put the studded Ice Radials on, and some weight in the back!
Ralph
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #119
Vernski

I got my rally wheels back from being powder coated and I painted my dash today here's some pic's the first one is the old wheel and tire. Next is the rally wheel with trim ring and cap, I'm waiting on the GMC logo. The dash looks smooth now before it had holes from a cb mike and clip and a bar bouy. Around the ash tray some of the paint was gone, and a dent on the right side of the glove box.---Vernski
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #120
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I had a spare ,warm sunshiny afternoon , so the transmission came out again and the 168 tooth flex plate came off and the proper 153 tooth flex plate went on. (A big hurry caused the mistake)The new starter will now fit but I cannot find the starter shims in my garage any where! so I cleaned and looked for those silly shims and the gauge. Progress is one thing at a time.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #121
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski
I got my rally wheels back from being powder coated and I painted my dash today here's some pic's the first one is the old wheel and tire. Next is the rally wheel with trim ring and cap, I'm waiting on the GMC logo. The dash looks smooth now before it had holes from a cb mike and clip and a bar bouy. Around the ash tray some of the paint was gone, and a dent on the right side of the glove box.---Vernski
Dash and wheels turned out great. Are they 7" or 8" wide, and where did you source your trim rings? I like the look on those rims.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #122
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I love this thread!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #123
Vernski

Quote:
Dash and wheels turned out great. Are they 7" or 8" wide, and where did you source your trim rings? I like the look on those rims.
Hi Mark they are 8" the rings came from Automotive Enhancement P.O. Box 2104 McKinleyville, CA. 95519 ph#[831]295-2193 also their web site--

http://www.autoenhance.com/trimr.html

The rings are for 8-10" wheel they are chrome plated stainless steel.---Vernski
Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #124
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The dash and wheels look good Vern. Which silver did you have them do the wheels in?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #125
69gmcshorty

worked on getting the motor back in to prove the running order trying to sell it this weekend and now it wont start... time to stop before i get too frustrated. i have power (it turns over) i have fuel i have air. i havent checked spark it is hard with only my self and no remote start. i was cleaning up my wiring when it was out but?? is there many wires that will affect spark? i need sleep and start again tomorrow...