The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #26
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: It all Happened About 6 Minutes after

I have noticed a trend lately of the screen on the pump saying to go inside for the receipt after the transaction is complete. Are they thinking that they are saving money by cutting down on how many they print, since I would assume that most people don't bother?
That seems like the McDonald's/ Taco bell thing of not giving you ketchup or hot sauce unless you ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #27
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I have noticed a trend lately of the screen on the pump saying to go inside for the receipt after the transaction is complete. Are they thinking that they are saving money by cutting down on how many they print, since I would assume that most people don't bother?
That seems like the McDonald's/ Taco bell thing of not giving you ketchup or hot sauce unless you ask.
I have often thought about that.

It's either that or it default's to that after it runs out of paper.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:10 AM   #28
krue
Designated A-hole!

I don't get where Cc's are better than Debit cards. My Credit Union will hold transactions on my debit card until I respond to a text or contact them at the slightest sign of fraudulent activity. I've had my card compromised a few times and it's never come back on me. Also I never use it as a debit card, always as credit and never put my pin in. Most gas pumps just require me to input my zip code instead.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #29
LONGHAIR

I used a debit card for years, not having a credit card at all, after giving one up years ago to get out of debt from a divorce.
I didn't see the need for a credit card because the debit card worked the same way transactionally anyway.
Then I had a need to rent a car, which became a problem, but the need was immediate and I was out of town. I worked it out and again let it go.

A few years later because of changing rules within my bank, I did end up getting a credit card as their way of overdraft protection to my checking account. I was told, at that time, that I didn't need to use it or even carry it on me. It was just an automatic back-up if I made a mistake with the debit card.
So I got one at that time, remembering the handiness of the rental car thing, if that ever came up again.
Then one day about two years later, I accidentally put that credit card into a gas pump and it was declined?! I used the debit card to get gas and drove directly to the bank. Apparently it was cancelled due to "non-use"?
Long story somewhat shortened, I got that worked out and got a new one. I would then use it occasionally to keep it active, until the law changed that eliminated the points system for debit cards, which gets you cash back. At that point I switched over to the credit card for everything, again because functionally they are the same, plus the points. The real key to that is paying it off every month and not carrying a balance. That is what the banks count on though, as soon as you do, they start charging you interest, then it's not the same anymore. The card costs you, possibly for two cycles.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #30
Rickysnickers

CCs aren't tied directly to your checking account, where DCs are. If your DC is hacked, you may not got your money back. With the CC, the CC company is the one paying out, so if there is a hack or dispute, you are not out any money.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #31
KW5413

We use our credit cards, almost exclusively. Have for years. Pay them off every month. No annual fees and as a Platinum banking I pay no fees for anything.

I do still carry tooo much cash A hold out to the olden days. My youngest daughter (30 years old) rarely carries cash. Except for a $ 20.00 bill I forced on her to keep in her wallet.

Last edited by KW5413; 10-25-2021 at 11:23 AM.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #32
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
We use our credit cards, almost exclusively. Have for years. Pay them off every month. No annual fees and as a Platinum banking I pay no fees for anything.

I do still carry tooo much cash A hold out to the olden days. My youngest daughter (30 years old) rarely carries cash. Except for a $ 20.00 bill I forced on her the keep in her wallet.
I do the same. I prefer to have cash as well. I even still write checks and my wife hates it when I do that too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Half the time, the clerks have to ask, "Now how do I run a check?"
Old 10-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #33
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
CCs aren't tied directly to your checking account, where DCs are. If your DC is hacked, you may not got your money back. With the CC, the CC company is the one paying out, so if there is a hack or dispute, you are not out any money.
My debit card says MasterCard on it and I'm pretty sure I am afforded all the protections as a CC if it is used fraudulently.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #34
Rickysnickers

I'd check on that if I were you, as I do not think that is the case.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #35
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I'd check on that if I were you, as I do not think that is the case.

.^^
X's 2
Old 10-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #36
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
My debit card says MasterCard on it and I'm pretty sure I am afforded all the protections as a CC if it is used fraudulently.
I'm pretty sure that is true. It's the point of those transactions going through those established channels. A debit card is the same as a credit card to the merchant and the only difference is when it hits the financial institution itself.
The only reason the bank cares either way is that they can charge you interest if you ever carry a balance.

Quote:

Old 10-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #37
Big Kev-O

The one and only time I used a pump that didn't have the security seal sticker intact my information was stolen. I heard a click when I pushed the card in and it was kind of hard to pull out. That is when i noticed there were no security seal stickers in place. It was too late when I noticed it so I pumped gas & left. My credit card co. called me about 30 minutes later and asked me if I had placed a $2000 order for some professional audio equipment. They blocked the charge and contacted the seller to stop the product from shipping.

I'm not sure if all states require the security seal stickers but I won't slide my card until I see the sticker intact.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #38
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
I don't get where Cc's are better than Debit cards. My Credit Union will hold transactions on my debit card until I respond to a text or contact them at the slightest sign of fraudulent activity. I've had my card compromised a few times and it's never come back on me. Also I never use it as a debit card, always as credit and never put my pin in. Most gas pumps just require me to input my zip code instead.
You answered your own question if you use your card as a CC Visa or master you protected use it as a debit card putting in a pin then your sol . It's like giving someone cash . I never use my card as a debit unless I'm at the bank atm getting cash
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #39
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

for the guys with debit cards there was a thing from 2019 to never use a debit card at the gas station as if monies are taken from the account its dern near impossible to get it replaced.. I only use a credit card with fraud protection on my gas station purchases

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #40
KW5413

I am still amazed at how quickly the crooks can act on their stolen IT scams.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #41
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
I am still amazed at how quickly the crooks can act on their stolen IT scams.
No kidding. I've been hit 4 times in 2 years.

Fortunately the bank gave me my money back. The biggest hassle was having my card cancelled and having to wait for the new one and change all my accounts to the new one.

I'm careful with my card. I never pay at the pump and I still get nailed.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote