The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
1956cameo

My 1956 cameo project thread

Well I think I have posted on all of my old trucks except for the one my forum name is after.

I always wanted a genuine cameo but was never able to find one in my price range. I chased down alot of leads on cameos that usually ended up bieng small window long wheelbase stepsides. So when my father in law told me of a cameo about 25 minutes from my house I blew it off. After months of him asking me if I went to see the cameo and me saying no or I didnt have time he finally drove me to go look at it.

When we pulled up to the guys lot of old cars and junk I said " Holy (explitive) thats a real cameo." He said "I knew you didnt think I knew what I was talking about." Well needles to say I struck a deal up with the previous owner and a week later brought the truck home.

It is a 1956 factory original cameo. It was an original v/8 truck coming with the 265. Someone unfortunately changed the original engine out with a cadillac engine. She is going to need alot of work but seeing that the cameos are rare I feel it will be worth the effort.

Sorry these pictures aerent the greatest. I had pictures of it on my trailer that were much better but it appears they got deleted.

The original color is red with white trim, however someone painted it silver many years ago. The drivers side bed panel is smashed up but I got another drivers side cameo bed panel that is in great shape with the deal.

Unfortunately I am currently using the bed as a storage bin. That usually spells disaster for progress, but I have been working on it regularly.

These pictures are old. Now the engine has new plugs, wires, a rebuilt carb, and a new coil. The engine is a 429 cadillac motor out of a 65 Calais. Believe it or not it runs like a top. So much so that I will fix the truck up enough with that motor that I can drive the truck to local cruise nights.

The transmission appears to be a turbo 400. It takes a little revving to get moving but the transmission goes into both forward and reverse and moves in both gears. Of course once I got the engine running and transmission moving the water pump started leaking. I am sure more and more issues will rise since it has been sitting for many years. I also need to do some electrical work, redo all the brakes, and of course need new tires.

1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
1956cameo

Re: My 1956 cameo project thread

Eventually I want to do a complete frame off factory original restoration, but for now I think I will have a little fun with the truck.

For now I will leave the caddy motor and trans, fix the rust, put a cheap pine bed in, and put custom wheels on. I would like to get a clean set of the old slot mags and maybe put it into primer and make it look like an old 70s custom or push truck. I would just leave it in patina but the patina isnt pretty and the hood and doors are too rusty to keep on. Since multiple colored rides aerent my style and I dont want to invest in a "in the meantime paintjob" I will simply go with a primer color.

Tell me what you all think and what routes you would go if it was you. I am open to suggestions. Progress will be a little slow but I will post regularly.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
OrrieG

Great starter rig. Good news is that a lot of the Cameo stuff is reproduced just because guys want them and they are rare. Keep the photos coming.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
pgf545

Looks like a fun project. I always like the Cameo trucks I think that have that classy look to them. And welcome from you neighbor...lol.

Bernie
Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great looking project, best of luck with the rebuild!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
YOLO
Custom Truck Lover!

Man, what I would do to that truck.
YOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
Kim57

Very cool truck.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
magsnubby

I can see it slammed....black primer....red interior....polished U.S. Indy mags....dual glass packs....
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

you just described my 57' stepside....weird
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
1956cameo

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Magsnubby; thanks for the input; I like those suggestions. What do U.S. Indy Mags look like? I will post pics of the mags that I was thinking of going with later on this week.

I am taking suggestions on what I should do so if anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear about them. Just keep in mind that some day I will do a factory original resto. so all the mods have to be reversible when the time comes.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
50MOTORHEAD

I think that your 'primer it and drive it 'idea,is the way to go.I like the idea of a primered ,custom looking cameo,with a cad.
The only thing that you are going to have to get used to is ,everyone that see's it will say "oh that's a shame,,that would look so nice if you fixed it up."
And if you start driving it like it is,you will come up with enough of your own ideas.
To tell you the truth,,it will be cool to see a cameo,that isn't all stock-restored.It almost seems that nobody has the desire to do ANYTHING but ,stock,with those trucks.Yea ,,,the're rare,,but I think that you will have a blast with that old girl,just in suede.Good for you !!-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
1956cameo

Hey 50MOTORHEAD, yeah I definately think I will get one of two reactions. One people will assume since it is ratty and custom it is not a real cameo. Or they will say its a shame. If anyone gives me too much lip I will ask them if I should simply chop the top, or make the top removable so I can have a convertible cameo. That should freak em out.

Personally I am an original resto guy so going back original (eventually) is in my blood. However the combination of Cameo, big caddy motor that runs like a sewing machine, and all the hard customizing work already done is too good of a thing to mess up. I definately think that this combo could grow on me; if so then why re do something that works!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
nuke1

i believe that what ever you want to do to your truck is your choice, i have appreciation for whateveryone does, b/c it is alot of hard work and sweat and tears put into these things, so do whatever you want to do, i think it will look freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!! especially since you do not see too many like this done
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
magsnubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
What do U.S. Indy Mags look like?
Several different companies made this type of rim:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/US-IN...QQcmdZViewItem
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
CAL 58 GMC

Cool truck to start with! Gota love those Caddy motors.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
1956cameo

Thanks again for the complements. I thought U.S. Indy mags might look like those. The pass. side rear wheel actually already has an Indy mag. I also have at least one more on a 69 parts truck at my dads house. So I only need one or two more to make a set.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 12-04-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Muleman100

Cool truck, would you be interested in a extra set of back fenders?
Muleman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Texasdeere

Great find! Cool truck! Looks like a good starting point.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
50MOTORHEAD

I can also understand going back to stock. I have a 57 1/2 ton that is bone stock and it's fun,but I have a 56 that I am building a gasser out of.I go back and forth with my taste anymore. I had all the parts left over to turn the 56 into a gasser ,so I couldn't pass it up.I can't do the same thing for too long anymore.I have to change my direction every once in a while ,to keep it interesting.Please keep us posted .I would be interested in pics-Keith
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
1956cameo

Hello everyone, OK first off before the Mod's get onto Muleman for breaking the rules, he is my dad and is just joking. Dad remember you can't offer stuff for sale while you are pink.

50MOTORHEAD, what all does it take to turn an old truck into a gasser? If it is only bolt up modifications maybe I will turn the cameo into a gasser before a stock resto. If it required actual metal/frame fabrications then oh well, maybe next project. I would really like to lower it and put on some polished indy mags, and some shiny chrome, and black primer. Of course I just don't want it to look rat rodded, I just think that is getting a little played out, thats why I am looking at possible alternative routes to take.

I will definately keep everyone posted, and I know everyone loves pics so I will post those as much as I can (however I don't have internet at home so it is hard).
Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #21
Texasdeere

Hey, What kind of truck is that behind your Cameo?
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #22
1956cameo

The truck behind the cameo is a 1954 suburban. Also in the same shed is a 55 bel air 2 door hardtop and a 1972 blazer. All of which are major projects in need of serious overhauls. I will post a pic of the suburban for ya to see in the coming days.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #23
50MOTORHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
Hello everyone, OK first off before the Mod's get onto Muleman for breaking the rules, he is my dad and is just joking. Dad remember you can't offer stuff for sale while you are pink.

50MOTORHEAD, what all does it take to turn an old truck into a gasser? If it is only bolt up modifications maybe I will turn the cameo into a gasser before a stock resto. If it required actual metal/frame fabrications then oh well, maybe next project. I would really like to lower it and put on some polished indy mags, and some shiny chrome, and black primer. Of course I just don't want it to look rat rodded, I just think that is getting a little played out, thats why I am looking at possible alternative routes to take.

I will definately keep everyone posted, and I know everyone loves pics so I will post those as much as I can (however I don't have internet at home so it is hard).
There are a lot of ways to go gasser. I personally don't like the vehicle to be a mile in the air so I am going to lower the rear about 4" That way I can keep the drop axle and still have a higher front stance.I am going to loose the front bumper,Inner wheelwells and running boards. Ive got a set of wheelwell headers,a small block and a 4 speed. I'll make a set of ladder bars and loose the tailgate and run a fuel cell in the bed.NONE of this is original. Go on any of the gasser websites and it is what you will see. I have a lot of race parts laying around so it will be easy and cheap for me.
I honestly don't know if your truck would look right ,with that bed.
We've got a guy up here that has a pro-street 57 cameo.That truck looks seriously bad-as#ed,but the guy has a TON of money in it.
I think that it just looks right with the stepside. Something to do with those round fenders. I don't know,,,I've never seen a cameo as a gasser. I think that you'd be the first !
It's all on hold right now. Gotta finish my 67 shortbed before I can get to my next 5 projects ! Yea,,,I said 5,,I have a serious problem with buying old junks. HHHHHMMMMMMmmmm,,,a cameo gasser,,,now ya got MY attention !
Keith
Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
GATORBUILT '59

I hope to see this truck at the Home Depot on Friday Nights!
GATORBUILT '59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
1956cameo

Thanks for the info MOTORHEAD, you have given me alot of good info. to think about. Never seen a cameo gasser or rat rod type set up either but always a first time for everything!

GATORBUILT59, Hey haven't seen you on here in a while. The Friday night Home Depot gatherings are exactly why I started working on this truck. I am tired of going in my 2006 Jetta and trying to have everyone believe I am more than a dreamer. Started making some serious progress on this truck back in September and early October. Just as things started clicking it came to a grinding halt. Unfortunately I found out I am going to be temporarily laid off for about 4 weeks so all projects are on hold now until mid January.

I will go ahead and curse myself and say that it will be at the Home depot cruises by Valentines Day. If it isn't you have full right to make fun of me.

You will see me out there this Friday. I will be in a baby blue 55 210 wagon. Most likely wearing blue jeans a car shirt and will have a Dr. Pepper in my hands. My In laws just bought it and this will be its inaugeral cruise. Bought it from a guy in Pearland called Don Jordan. Maybe you know him. What vehicle are you going to be in? I will look for you.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 12-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.