The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2021, 04:29 AM   #5076
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Hey Rian, wish you guy's were here to celebrate with us! Fireworks and BBQ plus Beautiful Blue Skies. Have a Safe 4th
Morning Ray !

Wish we could have done some steaks on your new Grand Cooker.

I dislike the fireworks as animals go nuts.

But they can be pretty, on TV.

Busy weekend, working on the arch over the driveway.

Because of my back, progress is slow, but amazingly, the amount of work I did on Saturday and Sunday was way more than any day in the last three months.

Osteopath and gentle exercise by walking 2km most days, seems to have allowed some recovery.

I will do the archway write up in one when it is completed. I have one more piece to build and mount, along with the day job.

Saturday Sally painted the nesting teapot doors, a nice shade of yellow.

Resulting in a nice finish after she waxed all the wood twice with a nice beeswax based wood treatment.

Her friends should be happy.

You will note that one is missing a lid.

Sunday bootfair it was on the list of stuff to find, a lid.

Sunday bootfair was minimal, possibly 15% of its usual size, due to threatening rain.

I only got to spend £2.20

20p for a broken sugar bowl, which donated its lid for box no 3

And £1.00 each for a bag of steel wire staples, and yes, we still use them.

Also a bag of random sized split pins for £1.00 which was great, gain as our older cars, especially American stuff, still uses split pins.

Happy with the result of the 20p lid.

Also went out in the truck to go looking for some cement, but two hardware stores had zero stock.

Imdid manage to spend £168.00 on a large electrical pressure cleaner.

If it lasts s well as the last one did, I will be very happy.

Created a nice obstruction to pi$$ off speeding freaks that do 50+ mph in the 30 zone in front of my place, a small win.

Before reversing the truck back down the drive.

And suddenly the weekend was over again.

But pleased with what I got done.

And driving the truck.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #5077
Grizz1963

So a quick photodump.

The idea was to create a arch for the garden to the right to grow into and over so that it partly camouflages and draws attention away from the garden.

Recycled timber was free.

Screws expensive, cement overpriced, and paint paid for before.

The rest mostly labour and using stuff paid for before.

Total cost, probably under £80.00

You saw the 450mm deep holes go down before.

I decided to sandwich two beams per post. Cut to length and screwed securely.

Test fit.

I also used some of the blackened sections to create a ladder for each side.

Painted, thanks to Sally carrying on with the paint while I built no 2.

On Sunday Sally worked, so I placed the uprights in the holes, alone, my back is recovering its strength, though the damage is permanent, I am moving easier and better every day compared to three months ago.

NextI made a set of cross beams up. The front gets a wide one tomcreate the illusion of size and sheer bulk, spindly would not work.

Next up , squaring and levelling it all out, then anchoring in position.

Followed by cross beams.

This was followed by screwing into position the individual cross pieces, as the whole lot would have been to big, heavy and unwieldy to put up alone.

I knew I wanted to have a front section hanging down, but removable for when the welding caravan gets removed finally.

So mocked up with a piece of trellis fencing, just to help visualisation.

Realised it needed to be a bit shorter.

Final height.

I tried to get some cement to mix for the foundations and neither B&Q, nor Wickes or Homebase had any.

Went to my local village hardware store on Monday afternoon………

No cement, but had some bags of “Post Mix” at £10.00 per 20kg bag.

Trust me, not impressed, but little choice, so I paid my £40.00 for the convenience.

Tuesday afternoon I also decided to try out my new pressure cleaner.

NVH is bad, trigger is stiff, no lock on it, oscillating head does a weird thing where it goes through frequencies that seem to change the effect.

Not sure it is worth the money at £168.00 vs the £110.00 model.

My fig tree, propagated last year has produced one fig, pretty chuffed with that.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #5078
Grizz1963

Next job was to make the lower valence up.

Again, made as I went along.

Cut first, measure second.

All of this has been a pain to do solo, as it is high, the ladder is uninspiring, and I worry about my back letting me down, well crashing me to thw floor really.

The whole morning there was a Robin keeping me company, chatting and making an angry noise, I guess he has a nest somewhere nearby.

These should ensure I can dismantle the valence later, to remove the caravan with ease.

Once squared up and screwed together, it was time for the post-crete to -be added to the holes, along with a load of water to set it off.

Done.

Followed by some decorations

I also cleared the excess wood off the drive, in under the carport.

And put up some road signs, andmy battle weary Stars n Stripes.

Later on the Robin was sitting atop the structure, singing away merrily.

Went to bed at 12,30 and by 04.10 the night was over.

Not ideal, but at least I took yesterday and today off work.

Sunrise was nice.

My weekend is here, loads of clearing up to do today, and maybe mounting the dentists light under the carport too.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #5079
Indian113

Boy, that is a Beautiful picture!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #5080
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Boy, that is a Beautiful picture!
Thanks Ray,

I see so much beauty around me

It makes sharing easy.

One for Craig, along with the Coke trucks and a small beach buggy.

He is a VW aircooled and Coke guy of course.

A nice carved wooden cat for mate Kevins new courtyard garden

And for myself a set of license plates for my collection.

No idea where they are from.

So total haul included.

Wooden picture frame, unused £1.00
Wooden blue star £1.00
Wooden carved cat £2.50
60’s Beach Buggy £4.00
Three toy cars £1.00
4 teapots, to be used as Blue Tit nests £1.00 each
vintage Porcelain bathroom light pull £3.00
License plates £2.00 of both.
Three Poppy scarves unused, for £1.00
Half a box of gutter bolts for a cart iron bench build £2.50

The rest of today was spent clearing out the carport, followed by sorting out Mickeys and my communal lumber into size, type and length, clearing the shared alleyway about 80%

There are still two pallets worth of aerated breeze blocks that we need to find a new home for in the alleyway though.

Once done, I want to build some decent shelving and support doe all the wood to be stored, giving me back the carport for the Rezin Rockit build.

Decent weekend, almost over.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #5081
The Rocknrod

Nice haul.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:13 AM   #5082
lil hoodlum

Hi Rian, I too check in your thread regularly, but never comment. Love seeing all of the progress around your house, boot fair buys, and English country side and city pictures. Very fascinating for those of us who are state-side. The English country side, I find, very beautiful.
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #5083
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Nice haul.
Thank you

I get a buzz out of some stuffI find.

Crazy cheap or useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Hi Rian, I too check in your thread regularly, but never comment. Love seeing all of the progress around your house, boot fair buys, and English country side and city pictures. Very fascinating for those of us who are state-side. The English country side, I find, very beautiful.
I love this country too for what it has to offer.

But it will never be America on many levels.

I share a lot of my stuff so others will be inspired or have a template to avoid the screw ups I may have made.

Some of you may remember the gokart chassis I bought a while ago.

Barstool racer is the objective

Not shortened as is traditional but full length with a small pickup bed over the motor.

So how many horses should I look for in a motor.

No need to be a rip snorting turbo NOS driven nutter mobile.

But needs to be reasonably capable of drawing around 150kg around a field.

I see Briggs and Stratton motors on rotovators with 3.5 hp and bigger on other stuff.

Go on…….

Don’t kill me.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:01 AM   #5084
Grizz1963

Been a while.

Loads happening, nothing related to the C10 though.

And it may be a while still.

However, after my back really screwing my life up for a year and stopping all progress on all projects, it seems to be on the mend very slowly.

It will not heal in the conventional way, but with a bit of clever use of planning, leverage etc, it is allowing me to do some stuff.

The Rezin Rockit, GoKart and a few other things are all awaiting their turn.

As is usual here, my first stop when restarting my life, is to take stock of stuff.

So a clear up and clear out was in order.

The scooter I got from Craig in 2019 found a new name on its V5c when I gave that away.

Followed by clearing out two pallets of breeze blocks, given to mate Neil. Amazing how fast stuff moves when you give it away.

So on Tuesday Neil came with his Transit van and his 13 year old grandson, to whom I had offered the Italjet Scooter. Harley had thought it over and decided he would rather build a car for when he is 17 which is a wise move. So the scooter went onto FB Marketplace and was gone, collected and ownership changed in less than an hour.

We loaded all the blocks in.

As far as it could go, so Harley and I carried the blocks through, and Neil packed them, his back is also knackered.

Nearly 150 of them.

I tried to make him take some more stuff but he declined mHarley took a very good office chair that was surplus for his own bedroom.

Walking around looking at the C10 and other stuff, Neil asked what next, so I said a new pair of fenders needed to be bought and imported……

He looked at the old ones, blasted and primed and said that if I got some patch panels, he would give them a go at repairing.

Of course I had the panels and rear supports for years.

So as a “Trade” he took the fenders away and will be welding them up for me.

Pretty good result, even though not planned at all.

Next job was clearing more of the alleyway in order to build some storage space for all the lumber in the carport.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #5085
Grizz1963

Up at 05.00 (old age, sore body, restless mind) showered, shaved, mug of tea, quick scan of internet etc.

Down at the bootfair by 6.15 and field was already full, with the line down the side of the exit route being filled with vendors.

Actually not a lot for me, but still had a nice few hours and home before 09.00 for brekkie.

Total haul.

Smalls.

Glazed plant pot £2.00
3/4 of 12 liter fence paint £3.00 and a nice chat.
Firemans helmet, unused, with working speaker £1.00
Another teapot £1.00
Aluminium drain downpipe corner and a gate slider £2.00
King Dick 50p
Metal sign 50p for shed.
4x VW Beetle/Baja’s £1.00
Union Jack Mini - Free
Small tools all for £2.00 from nice seller with teapot.
Includes Oil filter chain spanner, vintage pliers, multi-tool for closed boxes, two very flat spanners, two beautiful vintage drill bits, rawlplug tool (punch) 3 micro drillbits, 2x tyre pressure gauges.

So that was the haul, not big but nice to be out and the fence paint alone makes up for the rest.

More random reports later.

Hot out today.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #5086
Grizz1963

Monday morning.

Yesterday was a hot one. I cut my one side hedge and half of Mickeys yesterday. Not clever on a hot day, but needed to get it done.

The last week had been a flurry of random, but focussed action.

Lucky the Chevy truck is patient and loyal.

Loads happening, nothing related to the C10 though.

And it may be a while still.

However, after my back really screwing my life up for a year and stopping all progress on all projects, it seems to be on the mend very slowly.

It will not heal in the conventional way, but with a bit of clever use of planning, leverage etc, it is allowing me to do some stuff.

The Rezin Rockit, GoKart and a few other things are all awaiting their turn.

As is usual here, my first stop when restarting my life, is to take stock of stuff.

So a clear up and clear out was in order.

The scooter I got from Craig in 2019 found a new name on its V5c when I gave that away.

Followed by clearing out two pallets of breeze blocks, given to mate Neil. Amazing how fast stuff moves when you give it away.

So on Tuesday Neil came with his Transit van and his 13 year old grandson, to whom I had offered the Italjet Scooter. Harley had thought it over and decided he would rather build a car for when he is 17 which is a wise move. So the scooter went onto FB Marketplace and was gone, collected and ownership changed in less than an hour.

We loaded all the blocks in.

As far as it could go, so Harley and I carried the blocks through, and Neil packed them, his back is also knackered.

Nearly 150 of them.

I tried to make him take some more stuff but he declined mHarley took a very good office chair that was surplus for his own bedroom.

Walking around looking at the C10 and other stuff, Neil asked what next, so I said a new pair of fenders needed to be bought and imported……

He looked at the old ones, blasted and primed and said that if I got some patch panels, he would give them a go at repairing.

Of course I had the panels and rear supports for years.

So as a “Favour Trade” he took the fenders away and will be welding them up for me.

Pretty good result, even though not planned at all, life has it’s own way of keeping the books balanced I guess.

Next job was clearing more of the alleyway in order to build some storage space for all the lumber in the carport.

New pressure washer worked well, I cleaned the walls (they are not sealed against the garage wall, and a leak in the gutter, blus some weather and rain getting through there, plus all rain off the garage and carport actually flowing down the alleyway and out the back to the farm had left moss on the walls on both sides, of course the spray ends up on the roofing too, so I ended up cleaning all four sides of the alleyway

These plus more needed to be processed.

Before cleaning on Tuesday evening after work

After.

I also discovered 5 sheets of nasty/cheap Chinese packing crate ply, all badly rotten on the bottom edge, so stripped all the rot back with the pressure cleaner, as well as both the front and rears.

Then let it all dry, and cut the sheets down to remove the rot, as they had a job waiting too.

I took Friday as a leave day in order for Mickey and I to be able to knock out the shelving and racks.

Starting at 8.30 we worked nonstop, just grabbing tea and sodas through the day, finishing by 4.30pm

This included feeding a 45 gallon drum incinerator all day with so much of the offcast bits, and wood found to be damaged over the years.

I also have a havit of using the worst bits first and then the better. Mickey loves using the bigger longer, pretty bits, so it was bit of a job to stop him grabbing the best bits first, but he got my motivation quickly enough.

These upright posts are around £10.00 each if you buy them, they came from a deck that was lifted and you can see, undamaged, the rest if the wood, likewise.

We used a load of turbo screws, and the 120mm hex head decking screws used in the heavy stuff was all rescued from the deck that was dismantled by Mick.

So a lot of this between us, and with multiple tools, we could both measure, cut and fit.

Two cement mixers tucked into their custom space.

All the shelving was planned around the mixers that are bulky and also an aluminium table frame Mick wanted to incorporate as another dry working space outside, as it saves on getting the driveway/garage/carport full of dust and sawdust.

So this was Friday afternoon 4.30 and Mick was off to the pub for a well deserved pint.

Saturday morning by 08.00, Sally was here and the three of us started packing the wood from the carport into the racks and shelves.

I have an ability to visualise and calculate in space, which neither Mickey nor Sally can do, and in fact she was stressing.

By 11.00 all the wood, some steel etc was out of the carport.

Mick was already working at the table making a trellis for his sunny corner at the house.

Made me grin that he was straight onto using the work table, which has 45mm planks and a sheet of ply on it.

Packed.

And the carport filled with toys that all need motors and transmissions found and fitted

Old 07-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #5087
Grizz1963

So after clearing the carport, I also removed the solid wrought iron gate that had been there since 2011 between my and Mickeys yards and the shared alley storage.

This left a large hole, 6x4 foot, to be dealt with, mainly to slow the wind down when one works there in winter.

Looking from Mickeys side after I cut the hedge on his side you can see the odd shaped hole. Nothing is straight as it was never planned to be a doorway.

When I gathered the wood there were four plywood shelves, all 9 inches wide. Adding them to another sliver of ply have me the width needed.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the hole differs by 50mm top to bottom as the post originally fitted to create the end of the roofing sheets that hang down from the top of the structure was a twisted piece of lumber.
So that means I needed to create a door which fitted the hole, and the post will be modified to compensate for the pi$$ed post.

So Monday evening after work I quickly slapped a door together.

Mickey cannot resist the noise of a circular saw or power drill.

So fresh from a shave and shower, smelling like a teenager out to score first base, he was straight aroundf after he had had his dinner.

Supervising as always.

Screws penetrated by about 3mm so I had to cut them all back with the grinder.

After that I fitted it in the triangulated hole, and realised it needed a bit more work to fit, and with the weight, it needs a small jockey wheel.

So once that was done I shut shop, made a pizza (disappointing) and a shower.

Plans were to get back to it today after work.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #5088
Grizz1963

So my day was mostly spent on the phone or at my desk.

Late afternoon, the weather was still warm and dry.

So I quickly painted the front and rears. Amazingly it dried in the time it took to make a coffee and drink it.
\

Sally popped in around 5.30 and helped me lay the stripes……..

Anyone figure what I am doing ??

Yes, you guessed right.

And there is a formula for getting it right.

Ratios.

I used the 1120mm or 42” top width to calculate in order to get the Stars n Stripes ratio as close as possible to perfect.

Then opened the last of my red Hammerite smooth.

Very tempted to do a distressed flag, but thats more effort than what I felt like.

Used the last bit of paint to paint over the damage on my welding trolley.

Managing to pour the last of the paint over myself, my one foot and the driveway.

Man I cursed.

I went out earlier to check the paint and it is touch dry.

So tomorrow I will pull the tape off.

Then I just need the 50 stars to complete the job.

Coffee time, then I wont sleep.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #5089
realvc

You and Mickey stay busy all the time.
Everything is looking good.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 AM   #5090
Grizz1963

Went out for a haircut yesterday early. Our local-ish guy is there from 07.00 for people who need to come and go early.

Walking back to the truck I was again struck by the fact that it always makes me grin.

I like this thing.

Last night late I got a message from a South African expatriate living in Rhode Island that he had got me one of the hardest USA state plates to get. Posting it out to me this week for my collection.

Pretty pleased to say the least.

Removed the tape from the red bands and masked the blue panel for the stars.

It may take a while to get the stars to use on it but pleased so far.

Last sunny day before the weather swings back to a load of rain.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:34 AM   #5091
Grizz1963

So another long overdue job done after work last night was to fit the Dentists lamp in the carport for inspection of engines and other detailed items when you need a super light source.

Thanks to Paul “Oblertone” who brought it up to me and left it with his daughter in Essex to collect a few weeks ago.

So I prepared two 100mm x 50mm pieces of wood to fit between the roof beams, and painted and screwed them together.

Then found my 65mm drill bit (call it what you want) to drill a hole through for the adjustable hanging post to go through, as well as the wiring from the lamp to mains.

One of those purchases made years ago from a member on UKGSER who needed to move it on. At £80.00 it was and is a bargain.

My other 1950’s drillpress has ceased to function, tripping the power when you turn it on.

Used the rattle gun to run the coach screws in to hold the mounting plate in place, and cut the excess 10mm off the rear with a cutting disc.

Mounted with some more free hardware.

Its not going anywhere.

Light fitted.

Mickey of course came around to check up on me after he had his dinner.

He liked it.

Tucked away.

And seen in perspective.

Does not get in the way of headroom.

Of course I had to go see just how bright it is after sunset as well.

I think it works.

One dentists junk is another mans treasure.

Dismantle mobility scooters rear end tonight.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:48 AM   #5092
Grizz1963

Yesterday afternoon I managed to sort one of my treasure piles out.

All the steel “off cuts” that I had stashed in the garage went out to one shelf in the new wood store. After I rearranged some wood and added a few brackets for very long 8 meter lengths of plastic pipe.

Next job was to remove the motor, brackets, controller module and other junk as well as rear axle from the mobility scooter chassis.

The gearbox opened, I removed all the gears and closed that up again.

Cut the centre post off, all other loose tabs and ground it all smooth.

Then reassembled the rear axle under the chassis.

Rake added.

Current thinking is to lengthen the chassis.

Possibly source a cheap go kart rear axle, narrow it and refit with wide tyres.

OR…….. (and I need advice here)

Use a regular driven lawnmower rear axle and whatever mechanisms are in it, to fit a mower engine and its bits to make a simple, slow (safe) little ride on.

Thanks to @forddan68 for picking up a Schwinn kiddies tricycle for me on his way home last night.

No, I have no idea, I just like them. They are never cheap, and looking at the condition of this one, they should be cheap.

Needs a ton of cleaning up and paint.

But hopefully be a nice little side project

I am thinking red and Lime green.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #5093
Grizz1963

Well, going in some direction, just not sure if it is the right one.

Yesterday I had given to Sally for putting up with me.

So it was a bit of shopping, lunch and coffee at the Turkish in Chatham.

Also some food shopping.

My day was made when I found some USA made Cajun spice, I love cooking with it, as does Sally.

Before we went out, I was looking on Marketplace for a gokart rear axle and some wheels.

Found a seller who had a load of plastics and brackets, and messaged him on the off chance that he may have more parts to sell, turns out he has a ton of parts, mini moto engines, quad engines etc.

But he also had a rear axle, with sprocket, disc and bearings plus carrier brackets and a spare wheel.

Cost?

£50.00 which is way out of my cheap ass league, not negotiable, but if you add up the value, I guess it is still a good price for what it is.

So he messaged while we were having lunch that I could collect.

Went there at 3.00pm after shopping, spent 45 minutes talking to him, Sally sat in the car.

Then back home with the bounty.

Sally went home to water her garden and do a few things.

Quicky mock up shows I will have to cut about 250mm or 10” out the axle and re~weld it to fit better in proportion to the front end, which I still like.

And once the chassis is lengthened it should come into proportion.

While down at the garage, mate Craig started to interfere from 80 miles away.

Sallys son was bringing back the mini moto I had given her for the grandson.

He had partially dismantled it, as it was not running right according to him, only running well on choke.

He had also tried unsuccessfully to “govern” it to slow it down for Harry.

Then gave up.

So in stead of buying some small used motor, I got given bck some small motor that I paid for already.

He brought is back and chatted for a while, then went off again.

So this is where @craigrk comes in.

“Why don't you build it as a TRIKE as you like different, that will be different” he asked me via text.

You see, friends……. Always creating havoc.

So I will take a look and see what a single rear wheeled creation works like, or else I will remove and add just the motor to the ride, narrowing the gokart axle and going that route.

Sally was back by 7.00pm and rather than sit indoors drinking or eating in front of the telly, we did all the cutting and prep for 4 more Blue Tit nests.

To be completed today, and when I get more Soudal Crystal adhesive.

Bootfair was cancelled due to weather forecast.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #5094
Grizz1963

No bootfair, so a very lazy, slow start.

I don't think I ever had breakfast at 10.00am and then watched some Olympics with Sally.

Eventually made it to the shop.

Ad made some more birds next houses for Sally, every screw had to have a 1.5mm pilot hole as it is thin, nasty, IKEA pine bookshelf wood.

Once done, I set her off to start varnishing them with the brush she chose 10mm wide.

And I made a frame for one of the canvas prints, Anthony the one lodger made for me.

Done, as happy as I need to be.

Sally carried on painting.

But left at 13.00 to go cook Uncle Bob the hoarders meals for three days, and get ready for a BBQ we were headed to at 3.00pm

In the mean time I started to place bits together.

Rear wheel covered in a wooly hat.

Yup, I like that so far.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #5095
Grizz1963

A few random things.

Not everyones interest, but hopefully something for everyone.

About 8 years ago I built this double nesting box.

Depending on the season, the blackbirds use it every year, and some other birds have built a next in the rear section.

Sunday night it came down.

Note the neat, weaved nest, incorporating moss etc.

Rebuilt.

Blackbird mansion,

And the other side, open for pigeons or whatever birds prefer an open, eaves type space.

Followed by a nice sunset.

Today I had to pick up an order and an eBay purchase.

Soudal Crystal adhesive for the blue tit Teapot nests.

On the way home I popped in at Uncle Bob’s to see a couple of motors he has.

£50.00 buys a Honda, no centrifugal clutch.

Or a B&S motor with centrifugal clutch, but V-Belt drive.

So options for the barstool racer.

The other item was 50 vinyl cutout stars to use for the gate.

Quite challenging to be honest.

Really hard rain came down.

Nice and dry under the roof too.

And finally a coat of blue enamel.

Lets hope the stars come off easily enough once dried.

And also that the positioning is good enough to look like a cartoon style flag.

Not an easy job, placing the stars.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #5096
Grizz1963

Getting questioned about this door I am making, and the orientation of the stars and stripes.

So here are the reasonings.

Also remember, it is not a factory made, perfectly proportioned door. The hole is actually irregular, so I needed to just eyeball it and try get it looking a bit cartoonlike.

If you then go and look at the protocols for how the flag is flown, draped, or hung in various situations (and many people do not know these things about their own flags, including the Union Jack that has a top and bottom as well) you will find that the Union has to be to the left when applied as I am doing.

Hope this helps.

There's a right and a wrong way to hang the flag vertically.

Don't hang your flag backwards, upside down, or in another inappropriate fashion. If you're hanging your flag vertically (like from a window or against a wall), the Union portion with the stars should go on the observer's left. Never dip the flag to any person or anything.

History of the American flag - American flag layout

US flag has over 245 years of history. Our flag size calculator presents only one of 44 designs that the official American banner has had over these years.

It all started in December 1775, with the very first pattern that incorporated a Union Jack (UKemoji.jpg) into a field full of white and red stripes.
The second design in 1777 brought a very anticipated change - a union full of stars each representing a US states (there were only 13 of them at the time!). This US flag design consisted of 13 red & white stripes and the same number of stars.
Each flag that followed didn't last long - the US was continually expanding, and new states (and stars!⭐) were constantly being added.
💡 Americans always introduced new flags on the 4th of July!

The current flag was created in 1960 after the addition of Hawaii, the only island state located outside of North America. That was when the 50th star was finally placed in the union, creating the everlasting image we know today (which has specified American flag proportions).
Old 07-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #5097
Grizz1963

Quick bunch of pics.

Went down to the garage this morning early.

Started to pull off the stickers, being that the plywood is as rough as it is, I expected some paint seeping under the stickers.

Not much of a problem though, as it is a gate/door in rear of the carport.

Result.

Mate Fil “Sparkplug” asked about a handle……

Of course, as removed from a disabled public toilet.

We needed it more.

And just placed in position.

Needs the frame to be made up, then door hung.

Plan is to add a small wheel to the underside.

This afternoon during my lunch break I cleared the deck, and then after work quickly pressure cleaned it.

Taken the day off tomorrow, another long weekend, Sally is off too.

So plan if it stays dry, is to put a coat of wood sealer and stain on, followed by another coat once dried.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #5098
realvc

Gate came out real nice.
Enjoy your long weekend.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #5099
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
Gate came out real nice.
Enjoy your long weekend.
Morning Vince.

Thank you, happy with the gate, once hung, even more so.

Weekend will be good too.

So taking Friday off as a day vacation, I had thought it may be spent out back, doing stuff in the garage or yard.

But being that I know Sally rarely asks for or takes anything from me, I asked her what she would like to do, and suggested a walk in Whitstable and possibly lunch.

Of course we would go in the truck.

Surprisingly she agreed and was quite excited about Whitstable.

Nice drive down, parked up and went for a walk,,charity shops, sight seeing etc.

Tide was out in the working harbour.

Never seen it so low.

Typically maximised space.

Sally offered to buy lunch…..

Would I say no?

Cod and chips £9.00 Guess they see the tourists coming a mile away.

On the way back the tide had returned somewhat, looked a bit better.

And one of my favourite stalls.

Back at the truck Sally got in and I went to pay for parking, and walking back I noticed a mark on the rear bumper corner.

Bugggerr !1

Right through the paint layers, being a thick metal bumper it must have done some damage to the other car too.

I took a look and feel, and then took a pic.

At that, a Chinese (looking) guy and a lady came walking over and he said “That was my fault, I am sorry”

Now my responses could range between a tirade, decking him, or losing my dignity in other ways. But the damage was done, he confessed.

So I just calmly told him that he really should look where he is driving (as he had managed to cross over the lane and hit the truck) and to maybe be kind to someone else in the next few days.

The thing is, if he did an insurance claim, my truck is involved and the way insurance works of course, the next time I renew, I am a risk, regardless of cause.

And there are other little marks on both front and rear bumpers, so a respray will happen one day.

When I got home, I chatted with Dennis and he offered to mix me some paint for a touch up and post it out to me.

I declined as the front also needs doing.

However, again………

Look at our exchange to realise just how good life is, and how many good people there are in the world.

Have I mentioned, Life is good.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #5100
MusicMan70

WHOA, fantastic PHOTOS AND FOOD too!

Thanks for sharing...subscribed