The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #17
joedoh

Re: Firewall or Under Floor Mounted Master Cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post

3. Joedoh said he has a "plate" for a firewall mount. I think it may use the S10 pedal assembly. My chassis won't have that included in the deal.

What about this mount? https://www.performanceonline.com/19...4aAmqmEALw_wcB

I'll would make sure the engine's vacuum specs would be compatible with the booster as I don't like the looks of the Hydro-Boost.

I've been looking at photos of trucks with a firewall mount and it's not too crowded.

what year is your donor? I will add an update dhow to on using the 82-93 s10 brake pedal and column, its literally a 2 hour process and if you have an 82-94 donor you dont even have to crack the brake lines to use it complete.

the plate i sell is a reinforcing plate, the firewall was not made to support brake pedal pushing force, it is a 16ga plate that either doubles the firewall over about 1 1/2 sq ft, or if you are using the s10 booster and master, it can be folded into a 5 degree mount for correctly orienting the s10 master. even with that pedal in your link you will want to double up the firewall in that area.

the s10 master is installed at a 5 degree angle. it is a common misconception that the front outlet of the master is the front brakes and the rear is rear, but its actually the opposite and has been since the 60s on GM. if you install the s10 master without that 5 degree angle, it is possible under hard braking you will starve the rear reservoir of the master from fluid transferring forward, and lose your front brakes. if you compared braking bias in a panic stop, the front brakes are doing 90% of the work, the rear brakes are almost ineffective except to keep weight transfer from swinging the rear around and swapping ends. (this is not the case in other stopping scenarios so dont misunderstand)

I dont like underfloor setups, mostly because of the pain getting to them. if you are looking at an underfloor setup to save work over a firewall booster, it assuredly will NOT save any work. new lines, anti runback valves, peeling up the carpet to check and add fluids, bleeding a master than is lower than the calipers, its a lot.

that hanging pedal setup will work. its pretty expensive. I am doing the s10 pedal bracket swap today or tomorrow, I will take more pics.

if you are using a 94+ s10 donor, it is easier and cheaper to go to a salvage and get the pedal bracket and modify it for use. I do make a 94+ pedal bracket if you insist on one, I think i have done 10 iterations and it works really well.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote