The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
judgemint

Trans linkage/trans trouble

Hi guys. I have a 1966 Chev, 283 ( i believe Saginaw) 3 on the tree. The problem is.. every once in a while while shifting, (Usually when shifting down) the shifter gets stuck. It gets stuck in what SEEMS to be the neutral position of the shift lever, But the tyranny is in 3rd gear and you cant move the shift lever anywhere. When this happens you have to pop the hood and grab the shift linkage from the top, and pull back and forth till it comes free. Then good to go. this just happened to me again. I got it loose But know im having a hard time getting it in to reverse and staying there. When I drove it after i freed the linkage when i went to 3rd it didn't fully engage in gear. it acted as if it where in neutral . This truck has always had a history of doing this, But we always just pulled on the linkage and it would be good to go. But I think its getting worse. This truck is my moms and just used to go to the dump, so its not used a lot. But its time to figure this out. Could this be the linkage? Or the tyranny?? I'm thinking tyranny Because if I remember correctly the linkage was replaced years ago because of this problem. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by judgemint; 07-19-2009 at 02:30 AM.
judgemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
jame

Re: Trans linkage/trans trouble

Check the shift linkage bushings. I had this problem 15 years ago. Had a machine shop make new bushings from steel pin material and the current owner states it still shifts great. If it has been run this way for years the linkage arms may have grooves worn in them causing only partial engagement. May have to build them back up or find a better set.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
joe231

the components wear and create slop. it needs a rebuild
Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
70 Suburban
Rods

its the linkage. Mine did it for years.. eather rebuild it or slow your shifting till you rebuild it

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Check out this LINKY. On the top left of the pages are some bushings for the shift linkage. I have not personnally ordered or used them, but I believe that will cure the problem.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
judgemint

Thanks guys. I looked under the hood today, and the linkage closest to the firewall doesn't seem to have any bushing at all in it. So thats probably the culpret
judgemint is offline   Reply With Quote