The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2023, 05:38 PM   #13
Gotenntitans

Re: Armour Vienna sausage recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
hand salute to your Uncle Stratton and the greatest generation

some lesser known rich Navy history on Bougainville as well - required reading for us

Hoorah Seabees!

Bougainville Diary: The Naval Construction Battalion First Marine Amphibious Corps (53rd Seabees) on Bougainville

A famous image of the war in the Pacific of a sign erected along “Marine Drive” on Bougainville

My uncle Bick always was a ladies man and enjoyed his time with family & friends. He never really seemed to have a care in the world. One afternoon fishing with me, he was in the Rolling Rock beers pretty good, and he told me this story.......he and his very best friend were walking down a dirt road at Bougainville, when a sniper killed his friend as they walked side by side. Uncle Bick was able to spot the sniper because his gun jammed and he saw him up in a tree trying to get the gun unjammed. Uncle Bick shot him out like a big ole fox squirrel. He said that Jap bounced when he hit the ground. Uncle Bick said that he knew that the sniper made a choice, right or left, and for that reason alone, he was there fishing with me that day enjoying a cold beer with his favorite nephew instead of his best friend who "never saw it coming." He said that life is too short and he wanted to enjoy it all for the both of them.

I think he did. He did love the ladies well on into his 60 & 70s. He drove a big ole long Lincoln Town car and loved to get up and make speeches at the yearly family reunion. Everyone who knew him liked him. He died in his sleep at the age of 78 and left very little inheritance to his son & daughter-in-law. He left his two grand-daughters most of his money and he left a 35 year old woman in Conshatta, Louisiana, his Lincoln. That's my Uncle Bick.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote