The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Street Lethal '72

Talking '72 - Beginning to End Thread

Hello all,

I just bought a '72 C10 off ebay, I go tomorrow to pick it up and drive it home. I have plans for it, and have a moderate budget to immediately start.. So, I figured I'd start a thread about the forth coming journey.

Here it is as I have seen it, by pictures:

Here is a link to the original ad if it still works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm going to first finish the air bag system with an analog control system and a neat hide the tank trick for the bed. I'm ordering a wood bed kit, and possibly some repair pieces (we'll see when I get it). Also, getting the rear under bed gas tank set up. Primer, Corroseal, etc. Then go from there.. Wish me Luck!

Will have my pics tomorrow.
Street Lethal '72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
BlackTopMotors

Re: '72 - Beginning to End Thread

Looks like a good start. If you have the ability or dollars to deal with the rust issues, you will be good to go. Keep those pics coming as you progress! You going to go back to a 72 grill?
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Street Lethal '72

Thanks, and not sure about the grill.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Street Lethal '72

I should add.. This is not going to be a full resto project.. More of a clean rat with some additional "character"

If that sounds right.. lol
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
BlackTopMotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal '72 View Post
I should add.. This is not going to be a full resto project.. More of a clean rat with some additional "character"

If that sounds right.. lol
You'll have fun and less pressure of having everything perfect...Post pics when you get the chance.
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Street Lethal '72

Also I have ordered the arm rests.. its the only thing I know for a fact needs replaced from the pics. Found a set in perfect condition.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Street Lethal '72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTopMotors View Post
You'll have fun and less pressure of having everything perfect...Post pics when you get the chance.
That's exactly it.. I will be stopping all current rust and replacing what needs to be done.. I would hate to see it rot away. Especially since this will be my DD and hope to have for a very long time.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Street Lethal '72

So.. What a flippin' nightmare that was...

Let's start yesterday at 8am.. I board the plane to fly to Tampa to get the truck.. The plane moves about 2 feet, stalls, and will not re-start. They send us back into the terminal, and an hour later, put us on the same plane.. nice. But okay.

I get there, the guy picks me up in the truck.. on the way he ran it out of gas, so he gets gas, shows up, it stalls a few times in the pick up lane due to air in the line (visible at the filter), finally purged it and off we go.. I can see during this time, that the cab of the truck is indeed destroyed.. which I expected.. but the attempted repairs I saw I did not expect.. more later.

We go straight to the DMV and transfer everything tag ect. The truck ran great and shifted smooth. Okay, I drive away. I get about 40 miles out of Tampa headed to Miami, and the whole rear suspension drops, slams the bed onto the big fat tires, immediately cuts one in half.. I go fish tailing off into the grass.. no control. If I tapped the brakes it went sideways, if I let it slow on its own.. the fish tail. Either way, a delicate combination of the two puts me in the grass... safe as could be anyway.

I spend 3 hours on the side of the road, in the *****in' heat, getting eaten alive by mosquito's, weighing my options.. 201 miles from my house. Find I dropped my only source of money (a credit card) somewhere along teh way. I call and cancel it while I am waiting. End result, a $500 tow home.. after haggling that my girlfriend would have the cash on the other end.. my day finally ends after a total of 12 hours, with a total of 4 originally expected.

On to the truck..

Things I didn't know, first.

I didn't know the wiring harness had been ripped apart and speaker wire run in its place. The steering column has been gutted, no turn signals, and the steering wheel welded on. The turn signal wiring had been hacked to the brake switch, so it had functioning brake lights. He also purposefully only wired up one headlight (?). The column is also apparently missing all the shaft bearings as you can move it a good inch in every direction. It looks like the harness was all there, until he hacked it. The air bag system is rigged from beginning to end, and apparently goes no where near 100 miles on a fresh fill (like he described to me it would, "for sure"). Also, the drivers door does not stay shut, unless you hold it shut, then lock it. The bench seat was not bolted down, and the seat belts removed. He also says after I have it in drive, "Oh yeah, if your going to park it for more than an hour, disconnect the battery.. it will drain."

The tire damage, wiring, air bag set up, and steering wheel:

The cab and firewall were indeed rusted through, apparently the repair was to fill it all with spray foam, cover it in a thin layer of bondo to the shape of the spray foam, then spray paint it black or white (inside and out):

The gas tank had been relocated to the bed. It is a ten gallon box, and the cab fill hole still wide open (rain run rights in):

Also, none of the gauges work. The odometer has stalled, and the speedo goes to 100 as soon as you start moving. It has an over-sized radiator from some other truck, zip tied in, and no overflow tank:

This truck also had the OEM side bed tool box, which after he explained how rare it was, described to me how he fiber-glassed the hole shut, and bondo'd over it. The slab of bondo is falling out, I am going to try to rescue this:

BUT, there is some good. The 350 runs strong as hell, no smoke, and only light leaks. Never missed a beat. The trans is also operating perfectly, 2 large but easily repaired leaks. It even drove straight as an arrow down the road, and real smooth. The chassis is in great condition, with the exception of rusty bed cross members:

The cab actually has a solid floor pan. It needs a drivers side fender, but the hood and hinges are near perfect:

All in all, I am not happy, but after a nights sleep, have decided to move forward.

The list:

To make it move again -
  1. 2 tires
  2. Repairing the suspension, dropping the air bag system. I am not the type to do a quick fix, so expect the full suspension replaced and upgraded. I am getting a quote now for the parts.

To make it legal/safe:
  1. Fix speedo
  2. Bolt seat back in
  3. Re-Install seat belts
  4. Wiring Harness
  5. Steering Column
  6. Steering Wheel
  7. Repair drivers door
  8. Replace missing marker lights

To make it go farther than 100 miles:
  1. New gas tank, going under bed. Also, hook fuel gauge back up.

I can actually do all of this here shortly. Then I will be moving on to:
  1. LF Fender
  2. Core Support
  3. Multiple Bed Repairs - Wood Bed, Front Panel, Repair Sides
  4. Tail Gate
  5. Cab
  6. Door Repairs
  7. Figure Out Aux Gauges

Wish me luck
Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Street Lethal '72

*Note that tire is indeed rammed and wedged into the wheel well.. even by his plan, the airbags could never be dropped due to these tire/wheel size.

Last edited by Street Lethal '72; 09-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Street Lethal '72

Tick Tock

My previos project import has 24 hours left, 800 views and 18 watchers.. hopefully it goes bid crazy at the end.. though my buy it now is many thousands under the value..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item1e5dea671e

Why do I mention this? This is my budget source for this truck for the time being.

Last edited by Street Lethal '72; 09-03-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
67-72crazy

Good luck with the repairs. sorry to hear about the bad ebay deal. Reading this makes me not want to buy a truck on ebay.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Street Lethal '72

My last two ebay cars.. I killed it with a hell of a deal each time.. guess it was time to balance things out with this bomb.. oh well. Thanks for the well wishes!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Truck sure looks pretty nice in the pics keep us up todate and get her back on the road.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
Street Lethal '72

Thanks man, I am starting to feel better about it. I did closely inspect the cab.. and soon came to realize it is literally about 60% bondo covered rust.. the entire roof, into the rain gutters (bondo filled), and down both rear posts, along the bottom, etc.,... However, the chassis is really good and the front clip, and most of the bed. I talked to my girl today, and we decided we are going to build her right. I will be on the hunt for a cab, as I think that may be the best route. However, one of these days I may just strip it down and see what's really there. I am also contemplating finding someone willing to part just the roof off of a cab, a and b pillars as well... Not sure yet.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

If you were closer id give you the extra cab I have but im sure shipping would kill you.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
Street Lethal '72

Ha, that would be awesome.. but yeah, looks like we are pretty far apart. Hopefully one will pop up for me closer. Thanks for the offer!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Street Lethal '72

Love your project BTW.. excellent work so far.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Street Lethal '72

So..

I have a $5k beginning budget for this, another $3k in a few months.. I keep running different plans in my head and on paper.. all of which are necessities I guess, but I am not sure where to start.

I can complete the entire front clip, including:
LH fender
Rad Support
72 Grill - inner/outer
Bumper supports (these are bent)
72 Bumper w/lights
Battery Tray Assembly
Radiator Shroud
Inner wheel wells
OEM fit 4 row radiator

And of course the things it absolutely needs
Wiring harness
Marker Lights
Steering Column and Wheel
2 tires
Suspension (looking a at complete springs, sway bar, shocks kit 4/6)
Fix the speedo
I also decided to go back to the OEM fuel tank set up, and get the gauge to work
  • Not sure if I should get the EEC fuel tank, as this one had... or just get the non EEC and a vented gas cap. I do not have any of the EEC components, so leaning towards non-EEC..

But, to start the cab now.. and piece by piece build the rest over time makes the most sense I suppose. I am just thinking that finding a cab in my area is going to be hard. And, I just like the front clip idea because it can be totally completed now.. though it will all come off again with the cab.. so it may not make the most sense.. I don't know.. Though, as I type this here, it seems a little dumb not to start with the cab.. lol.

I guess this thing just needs everything, and starting any where would work.

Longer range plans.. rear disc conversion, full interior restore, a/c, engine detail, and odds/ends that I am sure will never end.

The reason for the broken up frame restore plan is because I do not have the space to tear down and complete the whole process at once, and I live in a "community" so it cannot be parted in the yard. Plus, I will be able to drive it during the in between time frames. Also, I am not sourcing out any of the work, this is all getting done here. The plan is to have a close to OEM, cleanly modded, street truck.. DD.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Street Lethal '72

Then I find this.. http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/1904653974.html

plus dozens more all around the state for less than $5K.. lol
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

lol sounds like that truck wooped ya!

i know how it feels, MAN why didnt i buy that instead lol but you had an adventure to say the least lol good luck man stay with it

ps, go with like a fuel cell, blazer filler is pita

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
Street Lethal '72

lol.. its sure working on it (wooping me). Even my girl who was against it, is now saying just imagine how much more you will appreciate it if you resurrect it.. and I agree. Its already becoming an unforgettable truck! lol
I do not plan on flipping it, and maybe if I ever do, by the time I do, it would offer a return..

We'll see, I just get frustrated looking at it! lol.. maybe I should just actually slow down what I think I need to do, get it road worthy, then take my time. We'll see..
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
Street Lethal '72

Decided to get the ball rolling on this today. I guess we are going to do a frame off.. I hate to see the body on this truck go to waste, but the entire cab is rotted junk, covered in about a solid inch of bondo (which I have mentioned).. I pulled the bed off today, on a whim to get something done. I found the tool box door is actually still there, but it was sheet metal screwed shut, and bondo'd over. The lock assembly and everything is still there.. what a waste. The auxiliary fuel tank is still there, but rotted. The fill hole for that was fiberglass patched on the inside, bondo outside.

I need to clean out the garage, and I think we are going to be getting a complete new bed. Will be on the hunt for a cab soon, and fortunately most of the front clip is ok (LH fender and rad support needed).

So, back to what I did today.. I pulled the bed. I had no help, and had to do the job myself. The rims have locks, and there is no key in the truck.. which is why the tires have not been replaced (PO mailing the key).

So, how does one man pull a bed off a truck? With a couple cold beers, and one inch at a time:

I did have the help of a stick at one point:

A rotted bed mount post, and the unfinished exhaust.. not sure where/how to finish running this (my first time with one of these trucks).

I also am wondering if when I pull these bags, if there is still spring cups there for the new springs.. any ideas?

We also decided we like how these tires sit at near stock height, we may change the 4/6 plan we had.. and do a 2/3.

All in all, I am still happy with the frame. Covered in rust? ..sure, bad rust? ..no. After I make a hole in the garage (my kids skate ramps need to go!), the cab is coming off and we are going to start restoring the frame and components.

Last edited by Street Lethal '72; 09-11-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
Street Lethal '72

Also, as you can see the rear bags are inflated.. used soapy water looking for bubbles, still can't find the leak. But it still deflated before my eyes. They're going away anyway..
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Street Lethal '72

"This message was sent to you at the request of Classic Performance Products to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS"

And the first part of many ships

Exciting