The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
79 silverado
Account Suspended

When does a truck stop being the same truck? (factory stamped parts locations, etc..)

This will be an abbreviated version:

I've gotten ahold of our family's old truck, an 87 Suburban. Its tired, and seen better days - the rear sill the tailgate mounts to is rusted out, quarter panel has rust holes low, rear wheelwells are rusted out at the seams between inner and outer, outer rocker panels have some rust starting... you get the idea.

Firewall is nice including in the cowl seam, floors were undercoated new so real issues there, but I'm wondering... at what point does rebuilding the truck leave it not the same truck?

Just a rebody with vin swap is out of the question for me, that would NOT feel like the same truck anymore. Are there certain areas that could be saved off the body I have that had date stamps into the metal, partial vin stamps, etc and re-incorporated into a partial shell from a donor, maybe re-use my cowl/dash panels and hinge pillars?

I'm curious for input from anyone who has crawled around and either fully parted out several or even restored one of these trucks that could give some direction into what parts/pieces I could shift/re-use to help me "feel" like this is the same truck we brought home back before I got my license all those years ago.

I don't have immeasurable amounts of money to throw at it and I know that although new quarters can be had through a contact of mine, the pair of those alone will run about $5500... and that doesn't include all the other metal areas needing work or the labor costs for it to be done "right"...
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: When does a truck stop being the same truck? (factory stamped parts locations, et

Theres comes a point when its just not worth it and you have to look past whatever sentimental value there is. The memories will still be there regardless of whether its the same truck or not. If its completely rotted out to the point your looking at replacing every body panel its probably time to find a new body. You can always reuse interior pieces from the original body etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: When does a truck stop being the same truck? (factory stamped parts locations, et

got any pics?

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I'd re-adjust my "feelings" and do whatever is the most cost effecient route. For instance, on a truck, I see no reason to spend thousands of dollars fixing a terribly rusty cab, when I can buy a nearly rust-free truck for $800 - $1000. It just doesn't make sense to me to not only spend that kind of money, but also to worry about warping, panel and door fitment, etc. due to heat generated by that much welding and patching. That feeling is way more important to me than the "feeling" of the truck being the same. You are looking at $5500 to replace the panels, but I actually know a guy with a very solid '85 4X4 Suburban with the engine and trans gone for $1000. Even if you had to travel down south to get one, it would still be less than half the money. Another thing to consider is that repro panels aren't near as good as originals. Whether you replace the whole body or replace 40% of the sheet metal to "fix" it, it still isn't the same and it is forever altered. Just my $.02
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
spudz

i agree, there is a 87 burb local here a guy is selling for 1K and nobody is buying lol.. Id NEVER spend that much to fix a rusted one. BUT 5k is too much for quarters lol.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote