The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
Dirt's72

Moving Recommendations "Red State"

Our family is seriously considering leaving NM to live somewhere that shares our same constitutional values. I have a state job here but seeing where we are headed with vaccine mandates which we will not be getting and pre determined future elections. Thinking shortly it will be time to scoot before we have roadblocks on our state borders. Oklahoma is on my mind. Thinking somewhere less humid with fair duck hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Moving Recommendations "Red State"

I dream of Texas or Nebraska.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
davischevy

We stopped in Gallup to pick up a few things from Walmart last march. I couldn't believe the level of fear I sensed there. It was like a movie.

We are as red as it gets, but we have humidity. We also have mountains, streams and lakes and we are in the middle of everything.

Housing is a little hard to find here, because you aren't the first one to leave a blue area.

We are halfway to everything.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

In OK, for waterfowl hunting, somewhere around the Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge. Humidity tends to run from low in the NW to high in the SE. Land for sale signs have returned. They all vanished shortly after Covid advanced to the pandemic status. Not sure about prices. Got my rural spot a couple years before covid. 40 acres about 2 miles north of me was listed on CL for $500,000 including the house. That was a lot higher per acre then what I paid. Listing vanished about 2 weeks later.

Depending on your age, the lifetime hunting/fishing licenses can be a bargain. Big advantage is you don't have to worry about the various state tags for deer, turkey and birds.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #5
KW5413

Texas...outside of the major cities is always a good bet. Great waterfowl in North and east Texas. Jobs to be had all over the state...housing has been ticking up but, still a deal compared to most of the country. And NO STATE INCOME TAX.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Dirt's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I dream of Texas or Nebraska.
Nebraska was my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
We stopped in Gallup to pick up a few things from Walmart last march. I couldn't believe the level of fear I sensed there. It was like a movie.

We are as red as it gets, but we have humidity. We also have mountains, streams and lakes and we are in the middle of everything.

Housing is a little hard to find here, because you aren't the first one to leave a blue area.

We are halfway to everything.
Gallup is a short 15 minute hop to the navajo nation capital. They could care less about the white man. Most do not have running water out there on the rez. I get that feeling in any walmart I go to. I lived in Little Rock for almost a year. I had to experience the duck capital of the U.S. flooded timber. I met some great people and also caught the biggest crappie I've seen. Then June came around and I couldn't take the humidity. I sweat in the wintertime tying my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
In OK, for waterfowl hunting, somewhere around the Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge. Humidity tends to run from low in the NW to high in the SE. Land for sale signs have returned. They all vanished shortly after Covid advanced to the pandemic status. Not sure about prices. Got my rural spot a couple years before covid. 40 acres about 2 miles north of me was listed on CL for $500,000 including the house. That was a lot higher per acre then what I paid. Listing vanished about 2 weeks later.

Depending on your age, the lifetime hunting/fishing licenses can be a bargain. Big advantage is you don't have to worry about the various state tags for deer, turkey and birds.
My lady's bosses just moved back to Oklahoma (Yukon) and they are very happy that they did. A buddy of mine lived in the SE part of the state Atoka. The duck hunting was pretty dang good.

Florida, Texas and Tenessee are out. Maybe Missery?
Old 10-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Dirt's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
Texas...outside of the major cities is always a good bet. Great waterfowl in North and east Texas. Jobs to be had all over the state...housing has been ticking up but, still a deal compared to most of the country. And NO STATE INCOME TAX.
Yeah the lady says no to Texas. Sounds pretty good to me though. Maybe I could talk her into a look over there.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
67C10Step

I’m not sure what the humidity is in Nebraska or the Dakotas but if you can’t stand humidity then mid south and south East are out for you. Missouri isn’t bad and lots of great places across the state.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
tim71

I always thought that Arizona, New Mexico and west Texas were some of the less humid and dry areas of the United States. Not so? Indiana is pretty red, but our weather is very humid. During spring/summer we occasionally have some non humid weather and I always wish we had this weather all of the time.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
Our family is seriously considering leaving NM to live somewhere that shares our same constitutional values. I have a state job here but seeing where we are headed with vaccine mandates which we will not be getting and pre determined future elections. Thinking shortly it will be time to scoot before we have roadblocks on our state borders. Oklahoma is on my mind. Thinking somewhere less humid with fair duck hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I totally get it, man. I’m thinking about somewhere in the Ozarks or Tennessee in the next few years. My dad is getting ready to leave Northern Va for Tennessee next year hopefully and my wife and I both are thinking about the same general area. Try being in oil and gas and having to deal with Adolfa Grisham. She has weaponized the New Mexico OCD and has really started using it against us in last month or so. We got 50+ citations for stupid piddley crap in one day a couple weeks ago. It’s gotten pretty bad even up here in our red northwest corner of the state.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:12 AM   #11
Loco83

[QUOTE=Dirt's72;8984929] Thinking shortly it will be time to scoot before we have roadblocks on our state borders.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

You could always move to California

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #13
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You could always move to California
It’s dry here. Nothing else to say…

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
Greg58

Yes Nebraska is red, but! Taxes are high, humidity is high except for the far west, winters are cold and windy. Waterfowl hunting is a big deal here, pay to play unless you know someone. Plenty of jobs here.

Greg
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #15
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
It’s dry here. Nothing else to say…
Nothing to say. You and I are swimming in the same pond. California is a beautiful state....As long as you don't have to live here.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #16
kipps

Based on conversations on newagtalk.com, Nebraska is the state everyone wants to get out of. The land taxes are through the roof, which really changes the farming dynamic. This might not matter as much on a small acreage.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #17
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Since 2013 when the wife and I moved here to this red state of Idaho there has been right at 250,000 adults move to this state and 200,000 of them came to get in a red state like you are talking about .

We have 4 seasons and like a lot of states fun places to camp and sight see
Our home is 3 times more value that when we came in Nov 2012 ..Our state tax is .06 % ..And homes are going up like weeds..

, People are selling out in California and Oregon where the most come from and living in their travel trailers for months waiting for a house to out bid the other guy to get ,,or a new one built. This year we had many days over 100 degrees .. first year like that since we came ,,we hope for a good snow this year...

Our streets are overwhelmed with traffic and lots of fender bending going on.. the city has built quite a few round a bouts to move the traffic along ..

We still like it here and not moving .. being retired allows us to get on the streets when there are not so much traffic
Old 10-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #18
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I would look into the states with no controversy and where everyone gets along well.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #19
Dirt's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I totally get it, man. I’m thinking about somewhere in the Ozarks or Tennessee in the next few years. My dad is getting ready to leave Northern Va for Tennessee next year hopefully and my wife and I both are thinking about the same general area. Try being in oil and gas and having to deal with Adolfa Grisham. She has weaponized the New Mexico OCD and has really started using it against us in last month or so. We got 50+ citations for stupid piddley crap in one day a couple weeks ago. It’s gotten pretty bad even up here in our red northwest corner of the state.
Yeah she is most definitely Adolfa!

[quote=Loco83;8985174]
Quote:
Thinking shortly it will be time to scoot before we have roadblocks on our state borders.
What's not funny is the pure evil going on with the plandemic allowing thousands to die in hospitals withholding medicine that costs next to nothing that is proven effective against covid. Mandating experimental injections that do not work. Kids are next in your state. Purposely killing the economy and opening the borders up wide. Our governor is line step with this. I want out before they come for guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
Yes Nebraska is red, but! Taxes are high, humidity is high except for the far west, winters are cold and windy. Waterfowl hunting is a big deal here, pay to play unless you know someone. Plenty of jobs here.

Greg
Does not sound bad. Plus the Nebraska AG today says doctors can legally prescribe medicines for covid that work like Ivermectin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Since 2013 when the wife and I moved here to this red state of Idaho there has been right at 250,000 adults move to this state and 200,000 of them came to get in a red state like you are talking about .

Our home is 3 times more value that when we came in Nov 2012 ..Our state tax is .06 % ..And homes are going up like weeds..

, People are selling out in California and Oregon where the most come from and living in their travel trailers for months waiting for a house to out bid the other guy to get ,,or a new one built. This year we had many days over 100 degrees .. first year like that since we came ,,we hope for a good snow this year...

Our streets are overwhelmed with traffic and lots of fender bending going on.. the city has built quite a few round a bouts to move the traffic along ..

We still like it here and not moving .. being retired allows us to get on the streets when there are not so much traffic
Yeah my fear is they move from California to create the same issues there in Idaho. My lady is in real estate here and most of the homes they sell to are people from California and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
I would look into the states with no controversy and where everyone gets along well.
Which red state like that do you have in mind?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #20
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
The state of denial?
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:06 PM   #21
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post

I passed thru Boise, Nampa and Caldwell in August traveling from Montana to Oregon, I thought I was on the 405 in Los Angeles.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:18 AM   #22
Accelo

Thinking shortly it will be time to scoot before we have roadblocks on our state borders.

Where does this level of paranoia come from? All the states I have visited are fine. I have neighbors on both sides of the political fence. We all watch out for each other.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #23
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post

Where does this level of paranoia come from? All the states I have visited are fine. I have neighbors on both sides of the political fence. We all watch out for each other.
I believe that statement is mostly tongue and cheek, mixed with a little sarcasm. An overall sentiment about loss of freedom.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #24
67C10Step

One final thought on this subject. Wherever you end up remember why you left where you were and why you moved there. Seems way too many bring the poor ideals with them and in a short few years they have also imported all the bad ideas that ruined the last place they lived. Groupthink and reliance on government are not what makes red states appealing.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #25
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
One final thought on this subject. Wherever you end up remember why you left where you were and why you moved there. Seems way too many bring the poor ideals with them and in a short few years they have also imported all the bad ideas that ruined the last place they lived. Groupthink and reliance on government are not what makes red states appealing.
Exactly the point I made in another thread last week. I don’t think dirts will bring many bad ideas with him.