The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #51
nsb29

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Well it wouldn’t let me add a picture to my previous post but this is the inner cabName:  20786452-2CD8-43FB-8B94-6E1496134DEE.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  27.8 KB
Old 04-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #52
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
And I would suggest epoxy primer inside all the nooks and crannies while accessible. A much better choice over POR, which will give off noxious fumes if it comes close to the heat from welding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
My only input is to not use por15. I have had bad luck with it and seen far too many similar stories.
After 5/6 hours of wire wheeling, I have cleaned everything up as much as reasonably possible. About 85% of the surface area is clean and perfect for primer. The front "gutter" is lightly pitted and will not wire wheel to shiny metal. There are also some tight places in the corners that cannot be cleaned. I think this application is more favorable for POR15 over primer - thoughts? Should i put down some POR15 and primer over this?

The only heavier pitted areas are the corner braces which I am not concerned about, they will not affect a visible panel.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #53
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I have used panel bond several times in positions where if I could have gotten in there to clamp it I could’ve welded it, I used panel bond when I put the big back window in my 65 by making sure that the two panels lined up properly and touching each other All the way across I installed the inner cab Using the panel bond and clamped the cab around the door opening and window The panel bond that squeezed out of the joint was wiped off leaving a perfect seem and then spot welded the rest.
Just for kicks I have taken some of the leftover panel bond and pressed couple pieces of scrap together it’s stronger than a weld you can’t rip it apart
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #54
theastronaut

The areas that didn't clean up with a wire brush need to be sandblasted to get rust out of the pits. An inexpensive spot blaster would be a good option for small areas if you don't already have a blaster. Then use epoxy to coat everything. Por15 or similar "paint over rust" products don't convert/kill the deep rust, and that looks like there will be some deeply rusted pits that'll show up when blasted.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #55
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
The areas that didn't clean up with a wire brush need to be sandblasted to get rust out of the pits. An inexpensive spot blaster would be a good option for small areas if you don't already have a blaster. Then use epoxy to coat everything. Por15 or similar "paint over rust" products don't convert/kill the deep rust, and that looks like there will be some deeply rusted pits that'll show up when blasted.
Thanks. I do have a spot blaster, I had previously blasted the full drip rail before I took the top skin off. I was hoping to get away with not using it due to how slow and nasty it is for large areas. I did find 2 pin holes hiding in the pitted areas, really close to the weather stripping inside. Ill probably start the blasting and see how it goes and cross my fingers more don't show up.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:30 AM   #56
SkinnyG

Is peeling off the roof skin to deal with whatever is inside a wise thing to do on any truck just in case?

I have no rust visible through the paint on either side, but it has not been blasted yet. I don't really want to skin it, but if it's super wise......
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 PM   #57
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Is peeling off the roof skin to deal with whatever is inside a wise thing to do on any truck just in case?

I have no rust visible through the paint on either side, but it has not been blasted yet. I don't really want to skin it, but if it's super wise......
Im not the most experienced to answer this question, but Ill throw out my $.02.

If you aren't in a huge rush and can spare an extra $250ish for the price of the panel, I don't think its a bad idea. If you end up with little or no visible rust in any of the roof area after you're done blasting, it may be a safe assumption that your cab is in decent shape in this regard and this would be a waste of effort for you.

I may have gotten lucky, but I am very happy with the quality of the new skin I received. Once this is complete I expect to have about 30 hours in the removal, clean up, and install of the new skin. Not done yet so time will tell..

So far I am happy with my decision to take mine off. I do have 2 or 3 pinholes to address and am on the fence about cut and weld or hit with a little filler after priming and sandblasting and be done with them.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #58
ItWillBeSlow

Got the "gutter" and perimeter of the roof area 97% clean with my spot blaster. There is a small amount of rust left in some of the larger pits that I will be leaving as-is.

I did discover some more pinholes on the passenger side - my spot blaster created these while cleaning. I've almost got this patched up. A few more hours to go and it will be ready for some primer. This area is hard to patch due to blowing holes in the thinner metal around the patch.

This is about 6-7 hours of spot blasting from the photos above.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #59
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Well..the spot blaster didnt "create" the holes...it just uncovered them....
It's looking good ..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #60
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Well..the spot blaster didnt "create" the holes...it just uncovered them....
It's looking good ..!!!
I agree with this assessment
Old 04-27-2021, 12:10 AM   #61
MP&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Got the "gutter" and perimeter of the roof area 97% clean with my spot blaster. There is a small amount of rust left in some of the larger pits that I will be leaving as-is.

I did discover some more pinholes on the passenger side - my spot blaster created these while cleaning. I've almost got this patched up. A few more hours to go and it will be ready for some primer. This area is hard to patch due to blowing holes in the thinner metal around the patch.

This is about 6-7 hours of spot blasting from the photos above.
Are those holes more accessible from the inside of the cab (underside) any better than the topside? If you find yourself blowing holes try more wire feed speed and less time on trigger pull..

Another option would be to get a small piece of copper pipe and trim/bend to fit snugly to the area of the pin holes. Then weld to fill the holes using copper as a backer.

Another option would be to cut out the area and weld in a new piece. While you are at this stage it would be a shame to not get all of it fixed with metal/weld while it's accessible (before the roof skin goes on).
Old 05-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #62
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Are those holes more accessible from the inside of the cab (underside) any better than the topside? If you find yourself blowing holes try more wire feed speed and less time on trigger pull..

Another option would be to get a small piece of copper pipe and trim/bend to fit snugly to the area of the pin holes. Then weld to fill the holes using copper as a backer.

Another option would be to cut out the area and weld in a new piece. While you are at this stage it would be a shame to not get all of it fixed with metal/weld while it's accessible (before the roof skin goes on).
Thanks Robert. I was able to do this from the bottom/inside. I hadn't thought of the pipe idea, that probably would have saved some headache. I was able to get it done finally.

The two pinholes to the right I was able to weld from the top side, with some copper as a backer on the interior. They filled very nicely.

I put this aside for a week due to work and am getting back to it this week. I hope to primer the new skin and top of the cab this week and get to the skin install by the next week or so.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #63
ItWillBeSlow

Today I shot some SPI epoxy primer on the inside of my new skin, and the top of my cab.

I had some fisheye/solvent pop/??? in the thicker spots on my first coat. Was this due to me laying it on too thick? See pictures. Overall it looks very nice. This was my first time shooting actual paint materials through an HVLP gun (Devilbiss FLG4). This was a good practice run for future primer-ing.

I hope to get the new skin installed within the next week.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #64
theastronaut

That's normal, SPI doesn't like to go on very wet on the first coat. I still forget and do that from time to time
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #65
ItWillBeSlow

Got my new skin installed last week. About 50 spot welds on the front and sides, and 3M panel bond on the rear seam. Install and fitment went well.

I tested the panel bond on a couple pieces of scrap, about 1 square inch bonded together. I could not separate the pieces without risking an injury. I was able to get it started, and about half way through the separation stopped. After the small test patch I feel pretty confident in the quality of the bond on the rear seam.

Thanks to Lorne for some additional tips and tricks for using the panel bond. I have about 40-50 hours of work from start to finish in this whole project. Technically speaking, this was no harder than some rocker panels. I appreciate all the comments and feedback in this thread.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2021, 03:43 AM   #66
MP&C

Looks good!!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #67
nsb29

That panel bond is tuff stuff I was totally amazed when I did my test trying to separate the two pieces and could only rip the metal. looks good it also sealed your seem I think if I ever did a roof I would consider panel bond all the way around especially on the earlier models like my 65 that way you wouldn’t be relying strictly on seam sealer