The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
High ho silverado

trans question?

I know this has been discussed in length and I have looked through several threads on here and other sites but can't quit get an answer. I did a 6.0 swap and used a 98 trans from a 5.7sbc, I ordered a ls bellhousing and changed it and my 6.0 had a spacer and 80e flexplate that I ground out the holes for, but when I put it all together it seemed like the converter had to pull forward a lot, jus seems like its to far forward out of the pump now, can the bellhousings have a different dish to them? I don't want to start it and ruin a new trans and converter. If anyone has any info please let me know, if I don't have to take the trans back out I don't want to. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: trans question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High ho silverado View Post
I know this has been discussed in length and I have looked through several threads on here and other sites but can't quit get an answer. I did a 6.0 swap and used a 98 trans from a 5.7sbc, I ordered a ls bellhousing and changed it and my 6.0 had a spacer and 80e flexplate that I ground out the holes for, but when I put it all together it seemed like the converter had to pull forward a lot, jus seems like its to far forward out of the pump now, can the bellhousings have a different dish to them? I don't want to start it and ruin a new trans and converter. If anyone has any info please let me know, if I don't have to take the trans back out I don't want to. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Put the old bellhousing back on., The LS bell is made for a 300mm torque converter that has a longer pilot shaft. To run a LS bell you need the Input drum, Converter & Flexplate to go with it.

The 4L80E spacer & flexplate corrects the converter spacing so you can run an older trans like your 298mm 4L60E.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
High ho silverado

I understand the pump input and converters are different, but my question is for further referance, is the bellhousing physically different somehow, like if u set them down together is the ls housing taller or deeper, I can't see any difference in them, how is it setting the trans further from the flexplate? I've built a few of both but never swapped the belhousings around like that and the place I got it from said they should be the same except for the lower bolt hole for the oil pan and the top one. I didn't measure it when I had them both off.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
clinebarger

The 300mm bellhousing is deeper than a 298mm bellhousing.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote