The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #351
BC Toy chest

Re: My Pro Street '56 GMC Pick'em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSABMUD View Post
Guess I am not a good one to talk about shop safety after I peeled a foot of skin of my arm in a grinder accident. Then got a blood disease after not running to the doctor and almost losing that arm. Anyway, you are very lucky to have a buddy like Kabwe to help out. My buddies are so far away when I'm doing something, the FBI could not find them.
Posted via Mobile Device
You know that is a problem a lot of us have. It's great to have Kabwe to help me with my metal work but when I have engine or transmission building issues I have very few people to go to for help. Unfortunately some of the most helpful people have been those I have met online and there comes a time talking you through the situation on the phone won't help, they need to be right there in your garage, lol, BUT THEY ARE 1,800 MILES AWAY
I aint trying to start no trouble but the other issue is when I call a tech line or parts house and a female answers the phone and tells me she can help me I say I don't think so. They ask me what my question is I tell them and then they say..... OHHH that's not what the catalog says or I better get a tech to help you. I know that's why I called. I can't tell you how many times I go to the Auto Zone or Pep Boys and I have to help them look up the parts on their own computer, or they let me go in the back and pull my own parts the parts off the shelf.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #352
Rods57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
You know that is a problem a lot of us have. It's great to have Kabwe to help me with my metal work but when I have engine or transmission building issues I have very few people to go to for help. Unfortunately some of the most helpful people have been those I have met online and there comes a time talking you through the situation on the phone won't help, they need to be right there in your garage, lol, BUT THEY ARE 1,800 MILES AWAY
I aint trying to start no trouble but the other issue is when I call a tech line or parts house and a female answers the phone and tells me she can help me I say I don't think so. They ask me what my question is I tell them and then they say..... OHHH that's not what the catalog says or I better get a tech to help you. I know that's why I called. I can't tell you how many times I go to the Auto Zone or Pep Boys and I have to help them look up the parts on their own computer, or they let me go in the back and pull my own parts the parts off the shelf.

Man thats the truth. I had to tell the tech at the factory that the booster I got for the truck would fit. He wouldn't believe that the one for a 55 car wouldfit on the firewall even though I used the pedals and mount. "I don't know" he keep saying and the whole time I am going dude its a factory piece and I have the measurements right here, the booster will fit.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #353
BC Toy chest

Before I post any more pics of my project here are some recent pics I took of some wicked looking rydes for your viewing pleasure

Some Bow ties and Jimmys and some other kool rydes at the 21st annual California Hot Rod Reunion 2012.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-04-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #354
BC Toy chest

Before I post any more pics of my project here are some recent pics I took of some wicked looking rydes for your viewing pleasure

Some Bow ties and Jimmys at the 21st annual California Hot Rod Reunion 2012.
Attached Images
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-04-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #355
BC Toy chest

OK OK, I was told to stop showing pics of other peoples trucks I'm just throwing photos up here of my stuff, aint even gonna explain what I'm doing... being lazy I guess, later when I am near completion it will make since, Lord willing I live long enough to complete it If you see something that makes you say it don't look done you're right, you'll see updates later.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-05-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #356
BC Toy chest

I was told to stop showing pics of other peoples trucks I'm just throwing photos up here of my stuff, aint even gonna explain what I'm doing... being lazy I guess, later when I am near completion it will make since, Lord willing I live long enough to complete it. If you see something that makes you say it don't look done you're right, you'll see updates later.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #357
BC Toy chest

I was told to stop showing pics of other peoples trucks I'm just throwing photos up here of my stuff, aint even gonna explain what I'm doing... being lazy I guess, later when I am near completion it will make since, Lord willing I live long enough to complete it. If you see something that makes you say it don't look done you're right, you'll see updates later.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-05-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #358
Kim57

Looking good.
Kim
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #359
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man did your wife notice this pic? No gloves or face shield? Whats up with that? I told you do what I say not what I do.lol

Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #360
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Hey man did your wife notice this pic? No gloves or face shield? Whats up with that? I told you do what I say not what I do.lol

You know what they say....."what you don't know can't hurt you" She doesn't care about this picture, you know how she feels about this site.... "ohhh you are chatting with your LITTLE truck friends again?"

Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #361
BC Toy chest

I'm just throwing photos up here of my stuff, aint even gonna explain what I'm doing... being lazy I guess, later when I am near completion it will make since, Lord willing I live long enough to complete it. If you see something that makes you say it don't look done you're right, you'll see updates later.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-06-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #362
BC Toy chest

I'm just throwing photos up here of my stuff, aint even gonna explain what I'm doing... being lazy I guess, later when I am near completion it will make since, Lord willing I live long enough to complete it. If you see something that makes you say it don't look done you're right, you'll see updates later.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 03-06-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #363
BC Toy chest

Looks and feels like there is no end to this project
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #364
BC Toy chest

Spreading some info for a friend if anyone is interested in the SoCal area. If it grows maybe it will spread out to other states.
There is even talk of doing a mini type Power Tour in the future if there is a large enough response.

Drive Your Junk Car Cruises/ Drive Your Sh#t Car Cruises
https://www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk

About.

This is a page for people that would like to get out and drive their classic trucks/cars. We will post information on upcoming cruises/shows, meeting places and times. Everyone is welcome, just be a legal driver, registered and insured classic car/truck.

Description
This group is all about driving your classic vehicle (motorcycle, car, truck). This is not a club, there are no fees, meetings, mandatory events. NO DRAMA!! Meet up and cruise to a predetermined destination, pretty simple and a good way to network with like minded people. E-mail driveyourjunk@gmail.com

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #365
lowdownstar
big guy

BC I am trying to build a pro street 56 and i am running into a few things, so if you don't mind me asking what is your tire size? and do you know how wide your rear end is, on your truck! i don't want any miss understanding lol

Thanks Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #366
sgtusmc

Man every time I see your rear set-up. I wish I went that route. Looks sick with them meats!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #367
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
BC I am trying to build a pro street 56 and i am running into a few things, so if you don't mind me asking what is your tire size? and do you know how wide your rear end is, on your truck! i don't want any miss understanding lol

Thanks Ray
The tire size is 31X18.50-15 Mickey Thompson Sportsman the actual section width (side wall to side wall) is 17.6" & tread width is 14.8" . I can not remember my actual axle housing width but my axle flange to flange measurement is 47 9/16" . My rear end is a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end. I don't think you can get the M/T Sportsman any more only the Sportsman-Pro. The Sportsman-Pro are a softer compound for better traction at the drag strip. And the tire was a fraction of an inch wider but not enough to make a difference. Check with M/T. My rims are 14x15. I think you will like the M/T Pro Street radial tire better because it is very good in wet weather conditions. Back spacing is going to be based on how narrow you want to make the rear end housing, and how wide you want to go with the tires. I do know of a guy that had to notch his frame and and another one back-halved his truck frame with a narrower pro stock style frame/four link set up because they wanted to go with the super wide 33X21.50-15 tires. Just be sure to measure and re-measure and then check it again before you cut anything . I hope this helps.

BC

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 04-02-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #368
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
Man every time I see your rear set-up. I wish I went that route. Looks sick with them meats!
Hey these projects are never really done, it's not too late to do some home work and a 'lil mock up fitment and see how it looks. With your stance and that killer back bumper, fatties out back would make it look pretty sinister

Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #369
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
sgtusmc check this out. Nice and FAT! Of course you don't have to do the full cage but you can still stick some meat back there.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 04-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #370
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
The tire size is 31X18.50-15 Mickey Thompson Sportsman the actual section width (side wall to side wall) is 17.6" & tread width is 14.8" . I can not remember my actual axle housing width but my axle flange to flange measurement is 47 9/16" . My rear end is a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end. I don't think you can get the M/T Sportsman any more only the Sportsman-Pro. The Sportsman-Pro are a softer compound for better traction at the drag strip. And the tire was a fraction of an inch wider but not enough to make a difference. Check with M/T. My rims are 14x15. I think you will like the M/T Pro Street radial tire better because it is very good in wet weather conditions. Back spacing is going to be based on how narrow you want to make the rear end housing, and how wide you want to go with the tires. I do know of a guy that had to notch his frame and and another one back-halved his truck frame with a narrower pro stock style frame/four link set up because they wanted to go with the super wide 33X21.50-15 tires. Just be sure to measure and re-measure and then check it again before you cut anything . I hope this helps.

BC
Yes sir that will help me big time, here is what i am working on. The frame is setup nice but my rear end is 58" wide but i do have the room for a 14" wide wheel but my back spacing is going to be alot different then most. I better make sure "sure to measure and re-measure and then check it again" today i will be tubbing the new bed sides so lets hope that works out.lol

Thanks again Ray
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #371
Kim57

Quote:
Yes sir that will help me big time, here is what i am working on. The frame is setup nice but my rear end is 58" wide but i do have the room for a 14" wide wheel but my back spacing is going to be alot different then most. I better make sure "sure to measure and re-measure and then check it again" today i will be tubbing the new bed sides so lets hope that works out.lol

Thanks again Ray
One thing to consider on back spacing is the type of brakes you will run in the rear. On a 15" rim some disc brakes wont fit if you have to much back spacing.
Kim
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #372
lowdownstar
big guy

Kim thanks for the heads up on that, one more thing i need to check out....
It never stops, evertime you try and do one thing "i" and up doing ten. But i do want to do it right and have it come out so it's fun to drive! That is my main goal.

Thanks guys

Ray
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #373
BC Toy chest

Lowdownstar I just want to throw out a heads up. I was told by a guy that owns a '73 Chevy step-side I saw at a drag race in the parking lot with some big meats. The '73-'87 Chevy step sides have the same basic configuration as our trucks. He had his stock width 12 bolt rear end and he had the M/T 31X18.50 -15. He has some way positive-offset (special order) 14" wide CenterLines. He said the one down side was that to stuff all that tire under his truck with the stock width rear end, that the offset was eating up his rear wheel bearings due to the load/ placement of the offset of the rim. He said he was replacing bearings about every other year. How true this is I don't know would be nice to get input from others on here.
I had a similar problem when I use to run those deep dish rims with the way negative offset on the front of my truck when I was a kid. I was replacing the front wheel bearings once a year. Not trying to sabotage any ideas you may have, just want to give you something to consider.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #374
lowdownstar
big guy

Are you kidding me, I can't thank you enough for all you do. I was wondering about that myself. How much rim is to much and how much off set is to much for what i am trying to do. The truck has a 9" ford rear end and the rear is 58" wide i have no clue as to what is stock. the frame is 34" wide at the rear tires and it was at one time setup for the big tires and i was told the last guy who own the truck put a wider rear end in it and smaller tires. Right now i have a 10" rim with a 29-12.5-15" with more BS then it needs. the tires sit inside to far. I can't understand what they were thinking when they did that. anyway it looks bad and i need to make it right.

Ray
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #375
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Are you kidding me, I can't thank you enough for all you do. I was wondering about that myself. How much rim is to much and how much off set is to much for what i am trying to do. The truck has a 9" ford rear end and the rear is 58" wide i have no clue as to what is stock. the frame is 34" wide at the rear tires and it was at one time setup for the big tires and i was told the last guy who own the truck put a wider rear end in it and smaller tires. Right now i have a 10" rim with a 29-12.5-15" with more BS then it needs. the tires sit inside to far. I can't understand what they were thinking when they did that. anyway it looks bad and i need to make it right.

Ray
I see. Did they move the leaf springs inboard or did they relocate them under the frame or do you have a
coil-over shock 4-link set up?

Please do not get me wrong, I can not tell you how to spend your money and far be it from me to tell you how to build your truck. You did say you like that fat tire/pro street with the deep dish rim look. I don't really know how else to achieve that look without cutting the housing and axles. I strongly encourage you to go with the look you want because if you don't you will never be totally satisfied with your ryde, if you just settle. Now if this is a daily driver then it makes the task difficult but if you don't mind parking the truck for a while and taking your time on it then it is very do-able.

Don't let lack of funds scare you. If it's something you really want to do just take your time. I went thru a foreclosure once when I was newly married, but was still able to hang on to the truck when it was nothing more then a raggedy daily driver. When I first rebuilt my truck I could only afford to get the parts when money allowed. Family and the house note came first. When I saw the truck that pushed me over the edge to make me want to build it the way you see it now, I did what ever it took to get it rolling the way I wanted it to look. I even recycled cans and bottles and scrap metal after doing my day job to add to my trucks piggy bank, lol.

Don't give up. I had my rear end cut down to my specs by Moser Engineering. I later bought 1 rim then about 2 months later I got the other rim, them three months later I bought the rear tires, my transmission was all apart, my motor was done, I had no front wheels or tires, went to the bone yard found salvageable parts, the next month I ordered something from No Limit Engineering, then started shopping around for a good radiator, had to ask the wife to increase my allowance for the next three months, hahaha . When I went to the chrome shop I did it one piece at a time..... and so on and so on. When I completed the truck I drove it for 10 years with some minor changes along the way and now it's all apart to fix the metal and paint it and other mods. I'm not in the poor house yet and I aint rich, so with the little bit of skills I have this is what I got . I don't know if I will ever live long enough to see my El Camino get done, But starting late last year I go out side and do just one thing a day to that car, even though I spend more time on my truck. I keep hope a live, lol.
I hope I did not offend you. Only trying to encourage you.

Call Greg Moser http://www.moserengineering.com/ 260-726-6689 He can help you way better then I could and he is affordable. They also have a booth at many of the NHRA national events.

"Johnny Cash One Piece At A Time" makes me think of what I went thru as i was working on my truck. At least my parts fit, haha

I have shown it before and here it is again. When I first saw this Red Pro Street '57 Chevy truck back in '89 I knew right then and there..... Yeah that's it that's what I want to do to my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by BC Toy chest; 04-03-2013 at 02:23 AM.