The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
buckkoo

Stock 3 pt seatbelts - 72 Blazer

I'm trying to find a set of blue seat belts with the shoulder harnesses for the front.

From what I've heard 72 Blazers used two separate belts. One belt for the lap and a second belt for the shoulder.

Apparently blazers used one hole to mount the shoulder harness, while other vehicles in 72 used two smaller holes, so truck or car belts won't work.

Does anyone have a pic original 3 pt setups?

How about the retractors? Are they just a long, truck style on driver side and then a short, car passenger style on the passenger side? Are there any special brackets required?

Thanks!
buckkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Stock 3 pt seatbelts - 72 Blazer

My OEM three point belts only have retractors on the lap belt portion. The shoulder portion connects to the hard top on one end, and piggy-backs on the same bolt that the lap belt uses on the floor behind the seat. Adjustment of the shoulder portion is done through pulling the belt snug through the buckle. Once you are fully bucked in, you do not move! Period.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
buckkoo

Yes, for that reason; scarcity of original 3 pt belts and comfort, I'm going to try a pair of Wesco Performance belts with the GM buckles. They'll look pretty correct and should be both safer and more comfortable.

The only other downside is with the factory belts, you'd still have a working lap belt with the top off.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
tjsblazer

buckkoo. I am interested how this turns out.

Cleszkie. Do you have any pictures of your factory belts in the truck?

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsblazer View Post

I don't currently have the shoulder portion installed because I have my Four Wheel Camper installed at the moment. The camper requires the use of a cut down hard top (half top) that has a compressible weather stripping layer between the camper and top. The "leg" of the cut down top, which contains the threaded seat belt mount, is only about 8 inches wide and is connected to the blazer tub rail with only one bolt on each side. I felt that connecting the shoulder belt would be pointless, as that leg would most likely fail under seat belt loading in the event of a big impact.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
bambbrose

Has anyone used a 4 point and a roll bar instead?

Just curious, as this would solve the issues with the three point and offer that extra level of protection even when the top is off.
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
buckkoo

Update: I got the belts in from Wesco and then ordered their 1.5"x1" right angle bracket to mount the drivers retractor on. The passenger retractor goes vertical in the stock mounting hole.

I then ordered their passenger and driver buckle brackets, which are cadmium finished 1.25" steel ~2"x6" with a compound angle of 90 degrees in and 15 degrees upward tilt. The passenger bracket worked perfectly, placing the buckle between the console and the bucket, where the seat back and bottom meet.

The driver's bracket,and remember these are universal brackets, needed to be lengthened 2" on the bed end and have its 15 degree angle reversed. Now it's in a similar position and these belts look and work as well as those in a new vehicle.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
tjsblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkoo View Post
Update: I got the belts in from Wesco and then ordered their 1.5"x1" right angle bracket to mount the drivers retractor on. The passenger retractor goes vertical in the stock mounting hole.

I then ordered their passenger and driver buckle brackets, which are cadmium finished 1.25" steel ~2"x6" with a compound angle of 90 degrees in and 15 degrees upward tilt. The passenger bracket worked perfectly, placing the buckle between the console and the bucket, where the seat back and bottom meet.

The driver's bracket,and remember these are universal brackets, needed to be lengthened 2" on the bed end and have its 15 degree angle reversed. Now it's in a similar position and these belts look and work as well as those in a new vehicle.
Any pictures ?

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Any pictures ?
Yah 2X's for pics. I see its been around 2 mounts ago so maybe He has "Left the building" you know like Elvis. LOL
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
fun in dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
Has anyone used a 4 point and a roll bar instead?
Just curious, as this would solve the issues with the three point and offer that extra level of protection even when the top is off.
Yes, I did ... got mine from Wesco. But ordered mine with the snap ends & used the eyebolts they sell in kit. I like to clean the inside floorboards out occasionally with the water hose & nice to be able to remove the belts easily.
In the front, I put the eyebolts through the factory hole for seatbelt mounts (for the lap ends) & the shoulder strap end is snapped to eyebolt in floorboard (dbl thick there at stepped up area) & used fender washers underneath to help spread the load. Ideally, I would like to add another cross bar behind front seats to mount (either bolt tab or wrap strap) shoulder portion.
Attached Images

'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619

Last edited by fun in dirt; 07-13-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add pics
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
cleszkie

Quote:

Got my hard top back on and OEM three-point belts installed again up front, and three-point belts in the rear as well. I will post up pics soon for anyone that is still interested in seeing them.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
chastain90

Fun in dirt, What center console do you have?
chastain90 is offline   Reply With Quote