The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
srsguitar83

70 GMC bumper Factory VS Aftermarket

Hello All. I am a new member and this is my first time posting. I have my grandpa's 1970 GMC that I would love to restore, but have questions on the best way to go about doing it. One thing I has been wondering about is can someone recommend whether or not to have the factory bumper restored or replace it with an aftermarket like the one listed below?

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/...cb%2fCBBMP.htm

I thought the cost to have a bumper re-plated was pretty pricey, but wasn't sure if there was any specific reason someone should keep the factory over just replacing it with an aftermarket.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!
srsguitar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
davepl

Re: 70 GMC bumper Factory VS Aftermarket

I opted to rechrome my original, which likely cost more, but produced what I think is a better result. Plus it's still original.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
truckster

I don't think any of the reproduction bumpers are as good as the originals. I have a repro front on mine and I have to polish it regularly to keep it from showing spots of rust.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
57rookie

I too thought about restoring my white painted original since it is straight. Locally here in Western Canada it is almost triple the cost of an LMC repop.
I can't justify paying that type of premium..
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
bill3rail

What else does your truck need?
If a bumper is all it requires, you are lucky!

What is your budget? / How much of that budget is in the bank?
If you can't afford all that you think you will need consider an aftermarket bumper to save money.

And what are you looking to do?
-Total restoration to original?
-Just patch the rust and run it?
-Get it looking real good and drive it?

I have aftermarket front/rear and they are good but I do not recall where they are from.

Bill
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
B. W.

I vote for keeping the original. The truck was your Grandfather's, I'd keep as many of the original parts I could. Also, like others have said, the original is better.

There is a chrome shop in Texas that several forum members have used with great results, the shop even repairs damaged bumpers. I think it's Electroplating of El Paso, not sure.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
71cheyennesuperlongb

I bought a LMCfleetside triple nickle plated rear bumper for my 71. Wosrt piece of junk you have ever saw. Thers was foam wraped around it for shipping and when I took my thumbnail to scratch off the tape and foam,It scratched the CROME finish! It is true that you get what you pay for! Never again will I give LMC my money. I have a factory painted bumper to be recromed.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Ozzy2013

Dont know if any of you guys have tryed it yet but i bought a set of chrome powder coated wheels and the finish is amazing looks like chrome!Im getting my next bumper done in it .Check out Coys wheels online they are great
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
srsguitar83

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I opted to rechrome my original, which likely cost more, but produced what I think is a better result. Plus it's still original.
Thanks davepl! I thought the same thought but wanted to make sure other people agreed. I didn't want to do it then find out later that a replacement would have been a better option because the look/quality would be the same in the end.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 AM   #10
srsguitar83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cheyennesuperlongb View Post
I bought a LMCfleetside triple nickle plated rear bumper for my 71. Wosrt piece of junk you have ever saw. Thers was foam wraped around it for shipping and when I took my thumbnail to scratch off the tape and foam,It scratched the CROME finish! It is true that you get what you pay for! Never again will I give LMC my money. I have a factory painted bumper to be recromed.
Wow! Thanks for the information! I haven't dealt with LMC other than spend way to much time thumbing through their catalog...good to know that for the future.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
srsguitar83

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
I vote for keeping the original. The truck was your Grandfather's, I'd keep as many of the original parts I could. Also, like others have said, the original is better.

There is a chrome shop in Texas that several forum members have used with great results, the shop even repairs damaged bumpers. I think it's Electroplating of El Paso, not sure.
That was my guess. All of the parts, i believe, can be salvaged so I'd love to keep as much as possible. I have just always been warned that it was going to be a money pit if/when I decided to try and restore it. I think if I can make it happen, I will be very happy! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
srsguitar83

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I don't think any of the reproduction bumpers are as good as the originals. I have a repro front on mine and I have to polish it regularly to keep it from showing spots of rust.
Ahhh. Good to know. I didn't realize there would be any recommended upkeep on the aftermarket after the fact. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #13
srsguitar83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
What else does your truck need?
If a bumper is all it requires, you are lucky!

What is your budget? / How much of that budget is in the bank?
If you can't afford all that you think you will need consider an aftermarket bumper to save money.

And what are you looking to do?
-Total restoration to original?
-Just patch the rust and run it?
-Get it looking real good and drive it?

I have aftermarket front/rear and they are good but I do not recall where they are from.

Bill
hey bill3rail! Unfortunately it is not only the bumper. The truck needs a bit of body work. It hasn't been legally drive-able in many years. The engine still runs though. I go outside to fire it up from time to time. The body has a bit of rust, but the cab is probably the worst. The chrome flaking off the bumper is the always the first thing I see when I go up to it and start looking around under the hood. As far as budget, I'm not sure at the moment what I can swing, but I would love to get the cab corners and rocker panels replaced. I realize that is not going to be an easy task. Might be different if i knew how to weld. I would be pleased with baby steps. It doesn't all have to be done at once I guess. If I could just get it where it would be safe and reliable to drive back and forth to work one or two days a week, I think I would be happy. Then as time goes on, since I have another vehicle to drive, try to do more work to it. I have considered trying to get a loan to cover for as much as possible and finding someone to take it to and say "here fix it!". The cost scares me though. I always go back to thinking "maybe I can do some of this work myself".