The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Binker

help me get my truck back on ther road

Dad sold the farm so I got my 1970 c-10 with a 292 I6 back. It was stored in the barn but some one moved it out of the barn and abused it removed parts, breaking parts. So I am trying to get it working again. rebuilt the mono jet, cleaned the fuel system, charging system ok and did a block test no leaks.

Now I can get the truck to idle now but only with the timing at ? 60 deg ? If I try to set it back to 0 it just dies. Any one got any ideas whats going on?

I don't know what was done to my truck or by who . Need to get a multi meter to check the dwell ect.

Thinking about upgrading the stock points distributor whats the most econmical approch to this? Or stick with points?
Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
JHT67

Re: help me get my truck back on ther road

I got rid of the points distributor and the truck instantly ran better. I'm not much of a mechanic, and this is something I've done, make sure sure your plug wires are in the right place.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! Member "shifty" did a great write up on HEI for 6 cyl.I think his was a 250 but the procedure is the same.It's in the FAQ's truck forum.Don't count on the timing mark since the 6 cyl has a rubber ring between the inner and outer rings of the harmonic balancer.It can deteriorate and slip.I would do the HEI in a heartbeat.Even a good points system can't compare.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I agree with PanelD. H-balancer may be off. Check the positioning by making sure the engine is at TDC with #1 cylinder on compression stroke.

I remove the plug and place my finger in the hole (some use a cotton ball). Click the engine until you feel compression and continue moving crank until piston is at TDC (easier if all plugs removed).

Mark on h-balancer should be at "0". If it isn't, you can paint a new mark or use a file or some sharp tool to mark it. If it lines up, then check the rotor in the distributor is pointing to #1 plug. If all that lines up, you may have other problems like broken/worn cam gear.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Binker

Thanks for the reply's JHT67, PanelDeland and 68gmsee.

1. HEI is the way to go.("shifty" in Faq's)
a. Where to get a HEI (junk yard item ,ebay or Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Parts Co)
2.Check the positioning by making sure the engine is at TDC with #1 cylinder on compression stroke.
Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I got mine from a JY.They are not rare but you'll have to look for one.I gave $25 at the Pick and pull.There may be others out there and if you can swing a new one,that is going to be a plus.Don't forget the wires and cap are different on HEI and gap the plugs at 45,IIRC somewhere between 4-8* is about right on the timing.You also need to check that the vac advance is working.As stated above check your timing mark.If you have any more questions just ask,we'll help where we can.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote