The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Chris04

Can I put a 7 pod instrument panel in my 70 c10??

Hey guys I'm new to the site and new to the 67-72 trucks right now my 70 just has the 3 pod dash bezel in it I actually bought a 3 meter oil pressure/volt meter/water temp from part store to get me by but I like the clean look so could I get the 7 pod bezel to work in my truck? Just wondering how hard and if any of you have done it. Thanks for any help I love the
Site!!!
Chris04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: Can I put a 7 pod instrument panel in my 70 c10??

Welcome to the forum!

A lot of us have done this. Here's a link to how it's done. 4th topic on this page. http://gmcpauls.com/Tech%2520Tips1.htm
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Welcome Chris,

In addition to the info FirstOwner69 posted from GMCPauls site, you'll also need some tubing and fittings to connect the oil pressure gauge. This thread shows the fittings that work with the factory gauge --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=613238

Also, most alternators need an "exciter" wire to initially provide power to the field windings. With the warning light clusters, that circuit was provided through the "GEN" light bulb. While trucks with the factory gauge clusters originally had a special resistance wire incorporated into the harness. More info on that can be found here --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6334490
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

I have a correction to make to my last post ... for some reason, I was thinking 73+ when I wrote that description of the alternator wiring.

The 67-72 harnesses for warning light clusters have both a "GEN" light and a resistance wire connected in parallel. So when swapping to a gauge cluster, you can simply leave that resistance wire (usually brown with a white stripe) as-is in the circuit. It'll work with either an original externally regulated alternator or with a 10SI or 12SI internally regulated alternator.

The 73+ trucks with warning lights just have the "GEN" light so those years are the ones where a resistance wire or resistor needs to be added when converting to gauges.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Chris04

Guys I really appreciate the help!!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

Oops, I guess I forgot to mention the things needed other than the wiring modifications. As ray_mcavoy pointed out, you need to run an oil line from the port on the top rear of the block. You also need to replace the idiot light temperature sensor in the left head with one designed for gauges.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Let me know if you need any further help with this.

I sell parts and complete clusters. See my Web site in my signature for further information

There is a lot of good people on this forum that will make sure you get headed in the right direction.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Chris04

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Oops, I guess I forgot to mention the things needed other than the wiring modifications. As ray_mcavoy pointed out, you need to run an oil line from the port on the top rear of the block. You also need to replace the idiot light temperature sensor in the left head with one designed for gauges.
No problem man I actually already ran a oil line for my current get by gauge I prob could use it! Thanks man
Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Chris04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Let me know if you need any further help with this.

I sell parts and complete clusters. See my Web site in my signature for further information

There is a lot of good people on this forum that will make sure you get headed in the right direction.

Take care,
Tom
Will do man! When I get some funds I will
Be contacting you! And I can tell already there are some cool guys who don't mind helping someone on here! Thanks everyone
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
You also need to replace the idiot light temperature sensor in the left head with one designed for gauges.
I think that is covered in the GMCPauls link you provided earlier ... but worth mentioning again since it is easily overlooked.

That also reminds me ... the warning light cluster wiring has a branch of the "temp" light wiring that runs to a terminal on the ignition switch. The ignition switch temporarily grounds that wire for a "bulb check" of the temp light when cranking the engine. If you re-purpose the existing dark green wire for the temp gauge, it would be a good idea to remove that connection from the ignition switch. Leaving it in place won't harm anything but it will cause the temp gauge to momentarily peg to the hot side when cranking the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris04 View Post
No problem man I actually already ran a oil line for my current get by gauge I prob could use it!
Yes, if you already have an 1/8" copper line in place it can be re-used. 1/8" nylon/plastic line will work too but I don't really trust that stuff. In any case you will need one of those Weatherhead 6100x2 (or equivalent) compression sleeve nuts (as seen in the other thread I linked to) to connect the line to most factory oil pressure gauges.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Tinkermc

Welcome to the Forum and pic's are a must.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Lattimer

I swapped mine out in a day. Follow the instructions on GMC Paul's site and hook up the oil line. Surprisingly easy mod to do.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Chris04

Hey guys I finally bought me a 7 pod cluster from Tom @classicgaugeandcluster and want to add it looked amazing and he did an excellent job, I recommend them to anyone! But while I was doing gmcpauls swap instructions I noticed when I got finished I had a brown wire left over! Can anyone tell me what it's for I took a pic to show y'all. I have not hooked the cluster up yet because I
Broke one of the metal tabs on plug so I got to get one first. Just wondering about this before I do hook everything up and find out I was suppose to use it then have to tear everything back apart! Any help is appreciated guys, also if any one knows where to get the metal tab connectors from let me know I need 2. Thanks

Chris

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the kind words. We try very hard to give all of our customers the best cluster for there money.

The brown wire you have left over is for the "generator" light and should have been in the number 8 location on the connector which is now where your illumination (grey wire) should be. You can tape it up as it is no longer needed.

Post up some photos of the cluster when you get everything working and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Take care and thank you again,
Tom

Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Chris04

That's awesome! Just wanted to make sure! Thanks Tom! So got one question out the way, just got to find out where to get the metal tab pin connectors that the wires go to inside the harness plug
Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris04 View Post
That's awesome! Just wanted to make sure! Thanks Tom! So got one question out the way, just got to find out where to get the metal tab pin connectors that the wires go to inside the harness plug
That might be a little tougher Chris. Do you have a local salvage yard that may have some of these trucks? Maybe post a WTB thread for a cluster connector.

Let me know, if push comes to shove, I can send you one of my spare connectors.

Let me know if you cannot come up with anything soon,
Take care,
Tom

Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
Chris04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
That might be a little tougher Chris. Do you have a local salvage yard that may have some of these trucks? Maybe post a WTB thread for a cluster connector.

Let me know, if push comes to shove, I can send you one of my spare connectors.

Let me know if you cannot come up with anything soon,
Take care,
Tom
Yea I checked at radio shack and all local part stores they don't sell anything like it which was expected, but there's not any salvage yards around that I know of with any trucks like ours, but I will do some searching around and try and find something and if not will let you know, I appreciate it!

Chris
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Chris04

Got the cluster in and I love it! My fuel gauge isn't working right now because I'm getting no power from fuse box prob a cut wire or come loose so that's on my to do list but wanted to post pics up!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
TBONE1964
Cluster King

That looks even nicer in the truck Chris. I am glad you got it in and working.

Thank you for posting the photos.

Take care,
Tom

Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #20
wreckedchevy

my daughter's 72 only has the 3 inst panel and I'm going to switch it to a 7 pod I have. would it be easier to change out the entire wiring harness? I pulled the complete harness and inst panel out of a 69.