The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Cool Traction bars on a truck??? It's real now!!!!!

Okay, I teased you guys about two months ago with a picture of these things.

Some people had doubts while others were not sure what they were. Now it's real because they are bolt onto my truck now!! Here is the web page on the installation http://www.geocities.com/abetterchem...ustombars.html

Let me know what you think. If you guys convince me I will tell you how they work. If not then you'll have to wait until I get back from South Padre Island on July 5th!!

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/
Old 06-25-2001, 04:14 PM   #2
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

thats cool... keep us posted on how they plant that power

------------------
My Truck pictures

www.xframeimpala.com

68 4x4 short fleetside 327 CH465 edelbrock intake and carb MSD distributor its the "SHAGROLET"
56 big window short stepside 235 dual 1 brls
64ImpalaSS 327
70 C10 LWB fleetside custom/10 350/TH350
IM me on aol SN= SHAGROLET

68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 05:59 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Talking

Okay, let sea if I canna puty my wryting skills on descrybing the effects the traction burs have on accaleration. First thing I have to say, WHOOOOHOOOOO THEY WORK GREAT!! IT'S A WHOLE NEW FEELING FOR ACCELERATION!! For those of you running a "posi" rear end you'll be able to understand the feeling I'll describe. "Bad Bow" had some additional weight limiting my initial "test" runs. The additional weight was in the form of a 350 long block I had recently acquired. This long block will be torn down and rebuilt to replace my current 305 SB. I have not taken the truck out of the city for WOT runs but I feel they would be great. After the long block slid forward, changing the center of gravity, the truck hookup feeling was even
better.

The traction bars are definitely not for speed bumps. I have to take speed bumps more slowly because the rear leaf springs do not flex like they did before I installed the traction bars. Large road dips or holes are felt more with the traction bars. The bars have a "push" feel effect like if the rear
was solid pushing the front end down when driving over a pothole or road dip. The removal of the 350 long block weight helped soften speed bumps.

Braking has a different feeling as well. Moderate to light braking does not feel different. On the other side, hard breaking is definitely felt. The whole back end feels solid. If I drive in reverse and hit the brakes you can easily tell the bars are working. The stop feeling is solid with the front braking dip changing somewhat.

"Hookup" from the bars can be felt from a mild throttle tap to WOT accelerations. One thing to remember is that I have my truck dropped 2.5 inches on the front and 4 inches in the rear. The load "thick" rear leaf
spring is also removed. The removal of the load spring caused the truck to dip at the rear significantly on acceleration. This rear suspension characteristic change is one reason I wanted to add the traction bars. I
essentially added the leaf spring back with the installation without raising the truck height.

Minimal to no feelings of "hookup" is felt in daily city driving unless you do hit the throttle with a mild tap. In my opinion these traction bars are very streetable. Cornering "hookup" effects are definitely felt. The truck no longer tilts as much toward the corning side. Corner feels more "flat" on the rear dropping the front section deeper into a "cornering" effect. I will have to add a bigger anti-way bar or replace the stock springs to reduce this "pushing" cornering effect on the front end. Acceleration from a corner feels like a "posi" rear end "push". Truck turns "flat" then "hooks up" with a good throttle response.

The tires width and added weight of the tonneau cover help reduce tire spin. A strong HP engine will definitely light up the tires with these traction bars. Axel hopping is eliminated with cold tires. Reducing axel hopping may also save you from breaking leaf springs. A posi rear end would be recommend to help forward acceleration. I currently have an open 12 bolt installed. If
I accelerate from a slow roll, the traction bar "hookup" feels like a "posi" rear end acceleration. On a normal acceleration with a standard suspension you feel the front end go up and the rear drop. The traction bars change the suspension characteristics by not having the "drop" feeling on the rear end. The effect you feel is actually a "push" from the rear or a total body "raise" on the front end for an awesome acceleration feeling.

Acceleration is described as a "flat" forward "posi" feeling. I think racers can relate to this description. This "posi" feeling from the "hookup" feels great. The feeling is the same as when I took a ride on the 500+ HP '87
"posi" truck that had the bars installed. The "posi" push feel can be felt from a slow rolling start up to about 45 MPH. Acceleration within the mentioned range is AWSOME!!! This "posi" feel is felt on acceleration without overdrive. Hookup with overdrive is not felt as much at high speeds
but is noticeable on hard acceleration. Either in overdrive or drive the truck "hookup" depends on the traveling speed. Transmission shifts are felt a little more on hard accelerations. One thing these traction bars prove is that my 305 has some torque in it but the lack of it also proves that these
trucks can have an ASWOME acceleration feel with a good strong SB. Sorry I really can not describe a "hookup" from a dead start. I need to take the truck out of the city for some full runs. Even without WOT accelerations from a dead start, the "hookup" from the bars is definitely felt.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/
Old 06-27-2001, 09:12 PM   #4
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

sweet..... sounds like you got your money with um...... i plan on using some when i build something off that shortbed leaf spring frame i have

------------------
My Truck pictures

www.xframeimpala.com

68 4x4 short fleetside 327 CH465 edelbrock intake and carb MSD distributor its the "SHAGROLET"
56 big window short stepside 235 dual 1 brls
64ImpalaSS 327
70 C10 LWB fleetside custom/10 350/TH350
IM me on aol SN= SHAGROLET

68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote