The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
fishmunger

Question Just Bought a Crate Motor for my 97 GMC / Want to Re-Build Old Motor (1st timer)

Well, I bought a nice 97 GMC 2500 extended cab about 2 months ago, super nice condition, only 110,000 miles...I put about 500 miles on it then while I was towing my boat up a grade, a main crank bearing blew. Talk about bad luck. Never overheated or anything, I was still able to limp the 50 miles home.

Anyway, so I took it to my mechanic who dropped the pan and found the bearing. So I ordered a new crate motor from Jegs. I got the L31 Heavy Duty 4 bolt main vortec motor. My mechanic will be installing it this week. I was also looking for break-in suggestions for it. I'd like to Run Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in it once it's broken in.

I'm planning on keeping my original motor (97 vortec, 2 bolt main 350), and trying to re-build it myself to keep as a spare. I'm pretty handy, but I've never re-built a motor before. I'm looking forward to taking my time on this project, learning, and doing it right.

I'm looking for guidance and sources on where I can start reading up on where to take my build. I want to keep it fairly stock, but I'm open to doing things that make it stronger, more efficient, torquier. I live in CA so I don't want to do anything that will make it fail smog later.

Just looking for suggestions, ideas, opinions...THANKS
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: Just Bought a Crate Motor for my 97 GMC / Want to Re-Build Old Motor (1st timer)

There is a lot of interesting and useful stuff on youtube believe it or not.
Here is a quick interesting series that might help you out a bit:
This particular rebuild has the builder changing the stock 350 over to a stroker 383....interesting stuff.
There are quite a few more to use as reference material, etc.
good luck
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Just Bought a Crate Motor for my 97 GMC / Want to Re-Build Old Motor (1st timer)

The engine break in procedure is not nearly as critical with a roller cam engine as it is with a flat tappet cam engine. I would follow what ever GM recommends for the L31 engine. That will likely need to be documented for your warranty to be kept.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote