The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
62c30

Undercoating

I'm almost to the point of putting some kind of undercoating on the underside of my 61 cab and using the same thing on my inner fenders. I'm thinking about a lite coat of raptor liner. I've never used it before but seems like a good option. My truck is going to be more of a nicer weekend nice weather driver but occasionally go slowly down a gravel road. I'm looking for something that will prevent rock chips and hopefully knock down some noise and heat transfer. If anyone has any experience with raptor liner or have any other products I'd like to hear about them. Pictures would be nice too. Thanks
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Undercoating

I've sprayed several different brands of coatings over the yrs

The underside of my cab and bed and inside the cab got lizardskin
I used it based on the sound deadener quality it has
It sprays easily and coats good,
it cleans easily with water,smell isnt to bad

Under my fenders I used raptorliner
I used it mainly cause I just wanted to give it a try
It sprays easily, and coats good
But be warned.. the smell is bad
Cleanup is not easy, you need acetone or lacquer thinner

Between these 2 the lizardskin has a more rubbery feel to it, the raptorliner has a hard feel to it
How well they hold up has yet to be seen by me

But either one is messy..make sure you have everything you dont want it on covered up..the overspray goes everywhere

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:14 PM   #3
LS short box

A buddy of mine has a body shop and sprays Raptor all the time. Like anything prep is key.
On my hot rod projects I've just used spray bomb under coating. It goes on a bit smoother than Raptor. If you are so inclined I believe you can tint Raptor to some what match your paint color. My hot rods will never see snow or even a gravel road so the spray bomb has worked well for me.
When I spray the under coating I put down a big piece of sheet plastic to catch the over spray.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:10 AM   #4
62c30

I was talking to a guy tonight I've known for several years and was telling me he reduced down some raptor liner and got a finish similar to what some European cars have on their rocker panels. I don't want too rough of a finish, just a lite finish. I think I'm going with the raptor liner. I've got my truck and two others to spray in the future.... Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
notsolo

I have thinned and sprayed Raptor with extra paint and reducer makes a nice matte finish, this is the tinted version. Raptor calls for 10% urethane paint, I have added as much as 50% paint and reducer, mix really well. 1.8 tip in a hvlp spray gun, still spits a little as it sprays but it lays down nice. On the top of dash, directly over epoxy, dash pad over adhesion promoter.
Attached Images

Last edited by notsolo; 01-07-2023 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Photos
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:46 PM   #6
Foot Stomper

I've sold Raptor Liner and other DIY bedliners wholesale to body shop jobber stores (for nearly 20 years) and can tell you that you're considering the wrong product for the job.
Bedliners like Raptor and others are nothing more than sprayable thick urethane. Ron Morton, who owned Dominion Sureseal, invented Gator Guard that used epoxies in the late 90's but found they chalked with age so he messed around with urethane to the point that he got it to "work" as a sprayable bedliner. Hard, textured finish and a successful marketing program made it a success as a DIY bedliner but it was never designed or meant to be used as "undercoating".
Undercoating is a bitumen based product that never hardens completely and because it doesn't, it absorbs sound and flying road debris far better than any "bedliner" ever will!

Stick with a product called "undercoating" for undercoating and leave the bedliners to the beds...as they were designed for.

Keep it simple... it doesn't have to be anything else.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:50 PM   #7
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
I was talking to a guy tonight I've known for several years and was telling me he reduced down some raptor liner and got a finish similar to what some European cars have on their rocker panels. I don't want too rough of a finish, just a lite finish. I think I'm going with the raptor liner. I've got my truck and two others to spray in the future.... Thanks for the replies.
You've just described Gravel Guard.. not undercoating.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
damnyankee36

According to Lizard Skin, it can be used as an undercoating.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #9
Willie Makeit

I've used Raptor under 3-4 trucks and have always been happy with the results. As far as the comments on sound deadening, that happens on the inside of the sheetmetal, protecting from rust and road rash happens on the outside.

Plus, undercoating just plain looks like hammered dog poo.
Willie Makeit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:14 PM   #10
62c30

I ordered some tintable raptor liner. I'm still going to use some sound deadening on the inside. Maybe lizard skin and something else under the carpet. I know it will never be as quiet as my new truck or car but it should be fine as it probably won't get driven as much.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:58 PM   #11
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I use Raptor and I like it.

Make sure you check out the U-POL website for hints and ideas. They have some good "How To" videos.

Prep is key, distance from the gun to panel is key, pressure to the gun, what gun....I used the last gun with the kit and had to mod it a little on the plastic trigger. It laid down a nice texture. The product goes quick so keep that in mind if you use their gun.
It takes about a week for the smell to flash off, at least that's about what it does for me.

Oh, make sure you have a good respirator.....Not a mask....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote