The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 PM   #1
68 C10 Driver

Original External Voltage Regulators

So I want to keep the external voltage regulator, I think it just adds something to the nostalgia of the periods technology. But my question is, my truck has a United Technologies RAB 12A12M on it now...will a RAB 12A12 work? Looking at them underneath both seem to be constructed the same.

I am trying to build up my stock of voltage regulators for the future. I know they make a virtual voltage regulator, but with those made in China so naturally I am concerned with quality...besides I want to keep the C10 as much American made as possible.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
72SB

Re: Original External Voltage Regulators

Look into Tuff Stuff VR. Solid State, Made in USA
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
68 C10 Driver

I ordered a VR voltage regulator from them and it had "Made in China" printed on the black metal cover...it was really light in weight and just gave me a cheap vibe. I saw on the site where they had made in the USA goods, maybe I mistakenly ordered from a different site. I am going to go back and check.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
BROWN 70

hi I put a nos on my gmc. it was for a 67 pontiac nos stuff is still out there. just my 2 cents. brown 70
BROWN 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
I ordered a VR voltage regulator from them and it had "Made in China" printed on the black metal cover...it was really light in weight and just gave me a cheap vibe. I saw on the site where they had made in the USA goods, maybe I mistakenly ordered from a different site. I am going to go back and check.
well mine was printed right on it made in USA. They are made in Cleveland, Ohio

https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...Regulators.pdf
Old 01-30-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
68 C10 Driver

72SB, I am not doubting you, but this is what Tuff Stuff sent me.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68 C10 Driver; 01-30-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:15 PM   #7
68 C10 Driver

So I have been able to source 2 NOS units, one from United Technologies and the other from American Bosch. The original is on the far right. looking at the underside they are constructed the same. I am guessing the NOS units will work. The original is a RAB 12A12M whereas the new ones are RAB12A12.

The center one is the only one that came with a capacitor.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #8
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN 70 View Post
hi I put a nos on my gmc. it was for a 67 pontiac nos stuff is still out there. just my 2 cents. brown 70
Brown 70, From what I am learning online is that the RAB12A12 are for Pontiacs, so if you are having luck with these on your truck, I should as well.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #9
72SB

weird...I bought mine on Amazon about 2 years ago. It was not listed where its made but when I got it, like yours it was printed but instead says USA. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was made in USA but not knowing before I bought it that was not a consideration.

In any event, it works fine and if you run a HEI dizzy, or Pertronix module, the solid-state VR is better pairing with that.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:07 PM   #10
RichardJ

>>virtual voltage regulator,<<

Is that mental telepathy? I am the alternator!

I'm not sure how original you think you need. GM sold Delco Remy off about 30 years ago, so unless you find an over priced NOS regulator.

Tuff Stuff web page says "Built In American". Thanks to NAFT, America can mean Mexico, U.S.A. or Canada. "Built In" and "Assembled In " is another grey area.

The Alt on the left is a Solid State that weighs 1/3 the original style electro-mechanical regulator with the wire wound resistors on the bottom.

The solid state are reliable and work well . Whether they are assembled here or in Mexico, the Semi-Conductor internals surely came from China.

All of us, consumers and manufacturers have sold out "Made in America" over the last 50 years and there may just be no way back.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2023, 08:02 PM   #11
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>virtual voltage regulator,<<

Is that mental telepathy? I am the alternator!

I'm not sure how original you think you need. GM sold Delco Remy off about 30 years ago, so unless you find an over priced NOS regulator.

Tuff Stuff web page says "Built In American". Thanks to NAFT, America can mean Mexico, U.S.A. or Canada. "Built In" and "Assembled In " is another grey area.

The Alt on the left is a Solid State that weighs 1/3 the original style electro-mechanical regulator with the wire wound resistors on the bottom.

The solid state are reliable and work well . Whether they are assembled here or in Mexico, the Semi-Conductor internals surely came from China.

All of us, consumers and manufacturers have sold out "Made in America" over the last 50 years and there may just be no way back.

I just want to keep as many old parts as I can whether it is by rebuilding/restoring the original parts, finding NOS replacements that are reasonable, or remanufactured parts. I will use Chinese parts, but only as a last resort. I am always searching for NOS parts or parts that are repairable like I did on the steering wheel and underdash A/C unit.

Yes, the electronic voltage regulator just seemed cheap, but it sounds like they work well. I will try it out for myself, but for car shows I will switch to an old original mechanical
voltage regulator. I believe the one that was on the truck is the original one, at least it hasn't been changed out since 1986...at least that is when my father-in-law got it.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:22 PM   #12
BROWN 70

Smile Re: Original External Voltage Regulators

yeah i,ve had good luck with the pontiac vr. it has delco stamped on it. it was old nos. my pontiac buddy gave it to me. I have heard that hei,s dont like external vr, but i,ve been good for 5-7 years. good luck, brown 70
Old 01-31-2023, 07:37 AM   #13
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
yeah i,ve had good luck with the pontiac vr. it has delco stamped on it. it was old nos. my pontiac buddy gave it to me. I have heard that hei,s dont like external vr, but i,ve been good for 5-7 years. good luck, brown 70
That's good to hear, right now I am planning on running the stock points system. I like points even though you have to fiddle with them periodically. I kind of enjoy the vehicle-driver dependent relationship.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:52 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

I got tired of constantly replacing the VRs on the 292 in my '68 C/10 Stepside. While I had a ''lifetime warranty'' from Checker Auto, their successors, O'Reilly 'honored' the guarantee by providing worthless replacements.
I raided my fallow-lying '67 K/10 Suburban for its VR -- installed 9/97 -- and put it in the '68.
Works great.
They don't build 'em like they used to.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #15
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
They don't build 'em like they used to.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 02-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Not 100 percent sure but I think someone on this board took apart an old style regulator and put the metal cover over a new style and it looked authentic. Ill have to search it up and see if I can find it.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
BROWN 70

Wink Re: Original External Voltage Regulators

hi guys, forgot to mention the old style/nos can be adjusted for volt amount. when i put on the nos it was over charging at 15.2 volts. i readjusted it down to low 14,s then as the batt charges it came down to the mid to low 13,s.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:49 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
hi guys, forgot to mention the old style/nos can be adjusted for volt amount. when i put on the nos it was over charging at 15.2 volts. i readjusted it down to low 14,s then as the batt charges it came down to the mid to low 13,s.
The Re-pops are unadjustable. Liability issues, I guess.

I recall an amusing Warning Illustration admonishing Service Technicians not to let the younger guys get their long hair caught in the fan or fanbelts while adjusting the VR. Also to be careful not to let their own neckties get caught.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:09 AM   #19
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Not 100 percent sure but I think someone on this board took apart an old style regulator and put the metal cover over a new style and it looked authentic. Ill have to search it up and see if I can find it.
I looked at that, but as long as I can find NOS or good used Voltage Regulators, I will go with that.